PDA

View Full Version : Help make this AR Rifle transfer CA Legal...

insin
02-27-2012, 6:52 PM
Hello all,
I am talking to an individual that is selling an AR style rifle from another state to me here in California. He does not want to install a bullet button, but is willing to make adjustments to the rifle to make it able to be shipped to an FFL here.

It is a complete rifle so we need to know how far we need to go to bring the lower half to a "stripped" status so that it can be transferred here in California as a bare/stripped lower. However he is not willing to totally disassemble the lower.

First we need to remove the upper, pistol grip, and possibly (?) the adjustable stock. My question is how far do we need to disassemble to lower in order to get it into a "stripped" state? Would solely disabling the mag release do the trick without removing all the trigger/hammer components? I hope so. We figure that if the mag release is disabled and a mag cannot be inserted and seated then things should be fine, right?

Bullet button is out of the question, making it featureless is an option, but I rather go the stripped route because the seller is willing to remove the mag release.

Ideas?

kris smith
02-27-2012, 7:18 PM
If he's willing to remove the mag release why. Not install a rad lock it's a simple turn of a screw and then your good or you can take out every pin and screw and spring. Back to a bare lower

shark92651
02-27-2012, 7:20 PM
He can separate the upper from the lower, ship the lower to the FFL and ship the upper to you. Nothing else is needed, unless your FFL doesn't want to deal with it. It's actually less work for him to install the BB than to pack the rifle up into two different shipments, but I know you can't convince some people of this so why bother.

Elucidus
02-27-2012, 7:21 PM
Selling you the lower by itself is fine for transfer purposes. That's what counts as a firearm.

You do not need to remove the pistol grip or stock.

Before you put them together, you need to make sure they're SB23 compliant. From what you've mentioned, the mag lock (bullet button) will be all you need to be compliant. (you can not put larger than a 10 round magazine in it and remain compliant)

insin
02-27-2012, 7:25 PM
Ok... To make it simpler, lets just assume there is no bullet button that will work with this AR style rifle.

Therefore BB or Maglock is out of the question. How far do we have to go to get the lower into a stripped state? Once the rifle arrives I will go featureless with it, but for the sake of the transfer assume no bullet button.

Thanks

insin
02-27-2012, 7:27 PM
He can separate the upper from the lower, ship the lower to the FFL and ship the upper to you. Nothing else is needed, unless your FFL doesn't want to deal with it. It's actually less work for him to install the BB than to pack the rifle up into two different shipments, but I know you can't convince some people of this so why bother.

I don't think this will work. A lower that has a regular mag release would still not be legal, correct?

shark92651
02-27-2012, 7:29 PM
Again, you only need to separate the upper from the lower. A completely assembled AR lower with a pistol grip and collapsible stock is NOT illegal in California. Some FFLs that don't understand the law think it is illegal, but it is not. No modifications at all are needed on the complete lower in order to transfer it. Assuming of course that it is an off-list lower.

Imagine if you will that you have a .22 rimfire AR upper waiting at home to put on that complete lower. A mag lock is not needed on a rimfire. Why would the lower without an upper be illegal?

insin
02-27-2012, 7:51 PM
Again, you only need to separate the upper from the lower. A completely assembled AR lower with a pistol grip and collapsible stock is NOT illegal in California. Some FFLs that don't understand the law think it is illegal, but it is not. No modifications at all are needed on the complete lower in order to transfer it. Assuming of course that it is an off-list lower.

Imagine if you will that you have a .22 rimfire AR upper waiting at home to put on that complete lower. A mag lock is not needed on a rimfire. Why would the lower without an upper be illegal?

I never knew that. Is this common knowledge because all AR's I have seen in shops have been either stripped lowers, or if the internals were installed into the lower, there was always a mag lock or bullet button. I never knew you could transfer a lower with a detachable mag release regardless of upper or not. Have you had experience with an FFL allowing this? If so, please let me know via PM where I might find them. Around here, for the past few years, FFL's must not know the law correctly...

Again... are you sure? I have been around for a while and I was complete convinced that the manner you are describing here, would not be legal. ( Obviously I could be wrong. )

baih777
02-27-2012, 7:58 PM
Riflegear is one of the go to shops in SoCal that knows what to do. Shark is one of the employees. Do what this guy says. But the OP did not specify the brand of the lower. I hope the lower is not on the ban list.

insin
02-27-2012, 8:13 PM
But the OP did not specify the brand of the lower. I hope the lower is not on the ban list.

HK MR762

insin
02-27-2012, 8:38 PM
Riflegear is one of the go to shops in SoCal that knows what to do. Shark is one of the employees.

I just checked out Riflegear's website. I am very impressed. I also noticed that they have a MR556 listed. I will be traveling to the LA area this weekend. I will have to definitely make it a point to stop by and check them out. Shark, I apologize for my ignorance. I look forward to checking your shop out.

PEZHEAD265
02-28-2012, 3:32 AM
I'm not looking for a fight I would like to be educated on it.If he took off the pistol grip would the gun be feature less?

shark92651
02-28-2012, 6:25 AM
HK MR762

Ah. I don't think anyone makes a magazine lock for that rifle yet so if you do transfer the lower, you will need to have some work done before you can put it back together. You will most likely need to pin the stock, put a grip wrap on the pistol grip, and replace the flash-hider with a muzzle brake if you want to go featureless. If you want a magazine lock so that you can keep everything on it, you may need to talk to Assault Planet, Raddlock, Solar Tactical, or some of the other CA compliance parts manufacturers to see if they are working on something for the MR762.

I still say just have the seller transfer the upper half to your house, and the lower half to an FFL. Just make sure to clear it with your FFL before you ship it in. Then you will have your work cut out for you if you actually want to put it together legally.

shark92651
02-28-2012, 6:27 AM
I'm not looking for a fight I would like to be educated on it.If he took off the pistol grip would the gun be feature less?

No, it needs no pistol grip, a fixed stock, and no flash-hider (muzzle brake ok).

PEZHEAD265
02-28-2012, 6:31 AM
Thanks

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
I heard on HKPRO that Prince is working on a BB for the MR762.... Not sure if this is 100% correct...

MikeEM1
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I never knew that. Is this common knowledge because all AR's I have seen in shops have been either stripped lowers, or if the internals were installed into the lower, there was always a mag lock or bullet button. I never knew you could transfer a lower with a detachable mag release regardless of upper or not. Have you had experience with an FFL allowing this? If so, please let me know via PM where I might find them. Around here, for the past few years, FFL's must not know the law correctly...

Again... are you sure? I have been around for a while and I was complete convinced that the manner you are describing here, would not be legal. ( Obviously I could be wrong. )

lol. He might know a thing or two