PDA

View Full Version : National Tracing Center & California

SilverTauron
02-27-2012, 4:12 PM
I was doing some side research on the National Tracing Center, and discovered the following info in the Wikipedia source on the same:

Once a gun is traced, even falsely or in error, and no matter how innocent the buyer, the first (and rarely, any known subsequent) owner’s personal data is permanently retained in the trace file. Many older firearms from the same manufacturer have identical serial numbers, which will result in multiple erroneous traces. It is also documented that in attempts to accomplish a trace, Law Enforcement will frequently enter partial serial numbers to attempt a match, which results in additional false traces. Other firearms data has been included in this tracing system, but the sources are obscure. There are reports that some state firearm registration systems have been loaded into the tracing system. In a press release, New Jersey admits posting all police records of gun purchases into the ATF Firearms Tracing System through eTrace. By state law, New York and Connecticut require tracing all purchased firearms.

Since California via the DOJ registers handguns and certain categories of firearms such as RAWs, does the state DOJ voluntarily share information with the BATFE regarding purchaser data as New York and Connecticut do?

Source article here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tracing_Center

emcon5
02-27-2012, 5:24 PM
(citation needed)

PolishMike
02-27-2012, 5:32 PM
They still ask for traces on handguns so no I dont think so

SilverTauron
02-27-2012, 7:30 PM
They still ask for traces on handguns so no I dont think so

I was thinking more along a situation where the California authorities voluntarily share data with the BATFE even if no specific crime is committed to generate a trace request.