PDA

View Full Version : Tim Donnelly's airport gun incident sparks new legislation

DVSmith
02-27-2012, 3:28 PM
Because we only want to give the police discretion on handling a crime when it involves not impounding cars of unlicensed drivers, not legislators who may have may a mistake...

Good to know!

Concerned that Assemblyman Tim Donnelly was cited and released after carrying a loaded firearm into an airport, a Southern California assemblywoman is proposing a new state law to require that such offenders be arrested and taken into custody.

Assemblywoman Norma Torres contends that bringing a loaded gun into a passenger airport is a serious violation and that the state should treat offenders consistently - with a jail booking, not a ticket.

"People should be on notice that we have zero tolerance for loaded guns at an airport," said Torres, a Pomona Democrat whose district includes the airport where Donnelly was cited.

Torres' Assembly Bill 2182 would require formal arrest for illegally carrying a concealed firearm into an airport. Upon conviction, offenders would be permanently banned from the airport where the crime occurred.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/02/tim-donnellys-airport-gun-incident-sparks-new-legislation.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#mi_rss=Capitol%20Alert#storylin k=cpy

paul0660
02-27-2012, 3:38 PM
I am pretty sure Assemblywoman Norma Torres doesn't run the airports.

Untamed1972
02-27-2012, 3:46 PM
Is't it already illegal to try and bring a loaded or unloaded gun thru the security check point, or to have a loaded gun in your checked bag?

So is this one of those "We need to make it MORE illegal than it already is" kinda things?

monk
02-27-2012, 3:52 PM
Is't it already illegal to try and bring a loaded or unloaded gun thru the security check point, or to have a loaded gun in your checked bag?

So is this one of those "We need to make it MORE illegal than it already is" kinda things?

Seems like. Permanently ban from the airport? Jeesis....

ALSystems
02-27-2012, 4:03 PM
Maybe, they should just hang such offenders by their toes as a warning to others entering the airport. Isn't this what people like Norma Torres really want.

What BS.

bwiese
02-27-2012, 4:08 PM
This is not about guns.

This is a jab across the aisle regarding local rivals.

ojisan
02-27-2012, 4:15 PM
And yet another wise observation from B. Wiese.

BigDogatPlay
02-27-2012, 4:18 PM

^^^^
Indeed... never underestimate the propensity of a political rival trying to kick you while you are down.

taperxz
02-27-2012, 4:23 PM
This is not about guns.

Yup, i was wondering when the politics would come out in this case.

Ray Charles could have seen this one coming... just sayin

Tripper
02-27-2012, 4:28 PM
arent congress persons ummm, immune, or whats it called, for foreign diplomats

Tripper
02-27-2012, 4:30 PM
i'm thinking that TSA is in hot water because they had no authority to 'arrest/hold' a congressman, basically an arrest or something to that effect.
maybe he didnt say the magic "am i free to go" or "am i being detained"

ALSystems
02-27-2012, 4:36 PM
Yup, i was wondering when the politics would come out in this case.

Ray Charles could have seen this one coming... just sayin
Maybe we should just call this 20-20 Ray Charles hindsight. :D

Tarn_Helm
02-27-2012, 5:06 PM

It is a jab that affects us all if passed.

DVSmith
02-27-2012, 5:16 PM
arent congress persons ummm, immune, or whats it called, for foreign diplomats

Donnelly is an Assemblyman.

windrunner50
02-27-2012, 5:29 PM
Instead of taking discretion away from First Responders, and how they perform their duties..... Let's hold lawmakers accountable for politically driven Grandstanding/Wasting Tax dollars.

ubet
02-28-2012, 7:03 AM
I thought you could ccw inside airports, as long as you arent trying to go through the security check point.

Decoligny
02-28-2012, 8:11 AM
This is not about guns.

If she could make the penalty retroactive, she would. She would like nothing more than to make it more difficult for a Republican to get to Sacramento.

stitchnicklas
02-28-2012, 8:33 AM
oh how i hate democrats...

CitaDeL
02-28-2012, 9:18 AM
oh how i hate democrats...

Why? Rod Wright is a Democrat, and he isn't putting up garbage legislation to punish people who own guns.

paul0660
02-28-2012, 9:25 AM
I thought you could ccw inside airports, as long as you arent trying to go through the security check point.

You can. Some municipalities have codes that make even that illegal. Some are so poorly written that you cannot legally get to the counter to check a firearm.

The legislator, even if he had a LTC, was trying to enter the secure area.