PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Shipping: Contra Costa

SFgiants105
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I was researching shipping ammo into CA and came across this:
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6086

I guess I'm not brushed up on my 2nd amendment current events, but I was curious if this was true.

Also, I live in SF, which has a nifty little ordinance that prevents me from shipping ammo to my residence. My family lives in San Ramon, and I thought I read somewhere that Contra Costa had restrictions as well. Does anyone know if it is legal to ship my ammo there, and more specifically if Cabela's would deliver to San Ramon.

this is the ammo in question:
http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-winchester-xpert-steel-game-target-shotshells-case-1.shtml

I would like to order it today (they have this $5 shipping thing for another day), so if anyone has a sure answer on that, I would really appreciate it.

-Jay

Marty33
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I order ammo from Cabelas all the time, and live in Contra Costa County.

Librarian
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
What at the CTD link caught your eye? It's from 2011, when the AB962 in-person-only law was enjoined from enforcement.

I, too, order ammo online. The nice UPS driver brings it to me in Concord.

CTD, however, seems to have a problem with phantom risk; I can't predict what they might tell you.

Eljay
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I've seen one or two online places that seem to have an issue with Contra Costa but Cabelas isn't one of them.

CrazyPhuD
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Cabela's should have no issue sending ammo directly to you in SF....ala post number 3 here.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347748

SFgiants105
02-27-2012, 1:51 PM
Okay, thanks guys. Your posts were very helpful.

chiselchst
02-27-2012, 3:08 PM
Do it frequently. Never a (legal) problem...

fairfaxjim
02-27-2012, 4:03 PM
CTD, however, seems to have a problem with phantom risk; I can't predict
what they might tell you.

So does Sportsman's Guide. Their legal departments have created their own private set of rules that has no relationship to any reality what so ever. Perfectly legal parts are embargoed from CA routinely by them.

I no longer do ANY business with either, and suggest that all CA gunnies vote with their wallets and buy NOTHING from either company.

EOD Guy
02-28-2012, 7:20 AM
The Contra Costa County Ordnance requires that a dealer keep a sales log for ammunition which the buyer must sign.

The ordnance, however, only applies in unincorporated areas of the county.

82-36.1002 - Record of ammunition sales.

No firearm dealer shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the director: the date of the transaction; the name, address and date of birth of the transferee; the transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued; the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred; and the transferee's signature.

4DSJW
02-28-2012, 5:34 PM
The Contra Costa County Ordnance requires that a dealer keep a sales log for ammunition which the buyer must sign.

The ordnance, however, only applies in unincorporated areas of the county.

Interesting. Does the ordinance require dealers located and doing business in unincorporated CCC to do this or does the ordinance require dealers selling to buyers in unincorporated CCC do this? Either way I don't think there is any hope of educating SG.

Thanks for posting the info!

Librarian
02-28-2012, 6:09 PM
Interesting. Does the ordinance require dealers located and doing business in unincorporated CCC to do this or does the ordinance require dealers selling to buyers in unincorporated CCC do this? Either way I don't think there is any hope of educating SG.

Thanks for posting the info!

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16286

82-36.202 - Purpose and administration.

(a)

Purpose. This chapter requires and provides criteria for the consideration and approval of land use permits and firearms dealer licenses before the sale of firearms will be permitted in any nonresidential land use zoning district of this county.

82-36.210 - Firearm dealer.

The term firearms dealer, as used in this chapter, shall mean any person who is engaged in the retail sale of firearms and/or ammunition.

82-36.1002 - Record of ammunition sales.

No firearm dealer shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the director: the date of the transaction; the name, address and date of birth of the transferee; the transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued; the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred; and the transferee's signature.

Since the chapter purpose is to regulate land use in the unincorporated parts of the county, it seems 'dealer' is one who is licensed by the county.

greg36f
02-28-2012, 8:43 PM
I got rifle ammo from CTD less than a week ago and I live in Contra Costa County. No questions, no delays.

advocatusdiaboli
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16286Since the chapter purpose is to regulate land use in the unincorporated parts of the county, it seems 'dealer' is one who is licensed by the county.

Wow. I didn't think such prohibitions would stand. I guess CGF et all have bigger fish to fry. IMHO this applies on to retail transaction in that area, mail orders aren't addressed.

HPGunner
03-05-2012, 2:13 PM
I did a search to see if anything has come up about Cabela's ammo shipping policy changes and this is the closest thread I can find.

I ordered ammo from Cabelas on occasion when there is free shipping and when I have those save $25 or $20 coupons. I use to have them shipped to my home all the time. Now I get this message. "We can not ship this item to California" on an order of Federal American Eagle .223. Anyone else try to order ammo from Cabela's lately?

FYI - I don't live in the "City of Los Angeles" and It's pretty broad statement saying no shipping to California.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z5b5vYOKuWo/T1U489Fp3iI/AAAAAAAACrI/1THcmxXS-qk/s800/3-5-2012%25202-04-19%2520PM.jpg

shy 7th
03-05-2012, 2:32 PM
I did a search to see if anything has come up about Cabela's ammo shipping policy changes and this is the closest thread I can find.

I ordered ammo from Cabelas on occasion when there is free shipping and when I have those save $25 or $20 coupons. I use to have them shipped to my home all the time. Now I get this message. "We can not ship this item to California" on an order of Federal American Eagle .223. Anyone else try to order ammo from Cabela's lately?

FYI - I don't live in the "City of Los Angeles" and It's pretty broad statement saying no shipping to California.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z5b5vYOKuWo/T1U489Fp3iI/AAAAAAAACrI/1THcmxXS-qk/s800/3-5-2012%25202-04-19%2520PM.jpg

Did you ad the 64 grn tracer ammuntition to your cart?

eta: Nevermind, I just tried to order the regular 55 grn fmj and Cabela's is restricting my purchase.

Odd indeed.

HPGunner
03-05-2012, 2:38 PM
Nevermind - I think I somehow selected the wrong ammo type and selected some type of "tipped varmint" ammo by American Eagle. Apparently certain types of ammo is banned here in this great republic.

HPGunner
03-05-2012, 2:40 PM
that's what I did too. 55 fmj - check your cart maybe it's linked to the wrong type.

LARRYPIRRONE1
03-06-2012, 6:03 AM
how does the governors veto of SB 427 fit into all of this? Of course we still have the prblem of so called "armor piercing" ammo. I guess anything with a copper jacket eh.

Librarian
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
how does the governors veto of SB 427 fit into all of this? Of course we still have the prblem of so called "armor piercing" ammo. I guess anything with a copper jacket eh.

Since the bill was vetoed, legally, it's as if it never existed.

Since it got as far as the Governor, it enhances De Leon's rep and encourages further bad bills.