PDA

View Full Version : Gun in backpak shoots 8 yr old Girl

toadman
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Has anybody seen the news reports of the 9 yr old Boy who brought his Dads .45 to school & it accidently went off & critically injured an 8 yr old Girl?
Very tragic. Poor girl is fighting for her life. The way the news is reporting it
the gun just went off inside the boys backpak & hit the girl. I read somewhere that it was an H & K .45 but not sure which model. That afterwards there was another round already in the chamber.
Does anyone really believe that it just went off by itself in a backpak & also chambered another round? Most modern automatics have so many safeties & unless it was being held just right inside a backpak it would not have been able to eject & chamber anther round. One news report said the backpak was slammed against the ground when it discharged. They are making it sound like the gun is an evil entity that will just shoot for no reason.

pacifico23
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Of course not, the kid was probably playing with it but doesnt want to ir admit because how much trouble he would get in. If I was dumb enough to be him I would've lied through my teeth and said the same thing.

jonc
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
dont think it would set off in backpack...
but you never know...

hope the girl pulls thru ok.....

2DoorImpala
02-27-2012, 8:10 PM
Glock? :o

44.shooter.lb
02-27-2012, 8:14 PM
Why did a 9 year old have access to his dad's gun? Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Ub3rDorK
02-27-2012, 9:18 PM
Glock? :o

:hide:

Sir Stunna Lot
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
assuming the gun did go off in the backpack, something musta gotten inside the trigger guard and depressed the trigger. once the guns shoots, i wouldnt be surprised if it fully cycled and loaded another round from the mag

on the other hand, we will have to wait for forensice to determine if there was in fact a bullet hole created inside the backpack

but in the end, how the heck did he have access to the gun in the first place? dumb parents, no way to suger coat this one.

myblunt
02-28-2012, 3:18 AM
really sad story, and a really small world. Was in the Navy not so long ago, friends with her dad, we served together on the boat. She's still in the hospital.
Just sucks. News reports show the boy with the gun was planning on running away from home, so he got the gun from his mothers house. Another broken home type of story and you realize its just one horrible dream. Mom does drugs, dad's no good either, grandma was everything, she died from cancer. And Amina gets caught in the crossfire.

myblunt
02-28-2012, 3:20 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017591780_bremerton25m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017582563_bremerton24m.html

dieselpower
02-28-2012, 5:57 AM
what a goofball...
In Olympia, the Seattle Democrat who chairs the state Senate Judiciary Committee said there is a lapse in state law. "We do not hold people very accountable in this state for leaving guns around the house with small children," Sen. Adam Kline said.

Kline said that he would consider a bill to address it during the next legislative session next year, but didn't sound hopeful of its chances.

so since we dont use the laws on the books now...we need to pass more laws, NOT use the old laws...

toadman
02-28-2012, 9:02 AM
assuming the gun did go off in the backpack, something musta gotten inside the trigger guard and depressed the trigger. once the guns shoots, i wouldnt be surprised if it fully cycled and loaded another round from the mag

on the other hand, we will have to wait for forensice to determine if there was in fact a bullet hole created inside the backpack

but in the end, how the heck did he have access to the gun in the first place? dumb parents, no way to suger coat this one.

O.K. It's possible for something to have gotten inside the trigger guard & there
was something holding the gun frame in place while the trigger was being depressed. BUT to also hold the gun firmly enough to be able to fully cycle a fresh round? In a backpack loose enough for something to slip into the trigger guard BUT no obstructions behind it for the slide to go back & chamber a round & being held firmly enough not to stovepipe. I kinda find it hard to believe.
The media is trying to blame the gun.

Jeepers
02-28-2012, 9:16 AM
Why did a 9 year old have access to his dad's gun? Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.
how times change when i was 9 i already had a .410 20gauge .22had access to all , but then again i was brought up with respect for guns instead of curiosity , make something a "taboo" and kids(and adults) will do there best to play with it .... just my 2 pennies ....

best wishes to the lil girl

ubet
02-28-2012, 9:34 AM
how times change when i was 9 i already had a .410 20gauge .22had access to all , but then again i was brought up with respect for guns instead of curiosity , make something a "taboo" and kids(and adults) will do there best to play with it .... just my 2 pennies ....

This for the win

Best wishes for the girl.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

toadman
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I posted this thread cuz there were people at work discussing this incident & the majority
of the people there thought that "Yeah, the gun just went off by itself". When I explained that it wasn't possible. They go "Well what if some bumped or kicked the pack?

llamatrnr
02-28-2012, 2:24 PM
Ban those damn 1911's!! :rolleyes:

Oceanbob
02-28-2012, 2:32 PM

Exactly^^^

Hope that little girl pulls thru...sad sad story. (I have 5 kids myself).

My youngest, a 14 year old girl is an expert on weapons; growing up with 4 older siblings we all as a family went shooting all the time. We owe our kids a gun education. This is a sad situation for the families involved. I wish them well.

Oceanbob
02-28-2012, 2:34 PM
I posted this thread cuz there were people at work discussing this incident & the majority
of the people there thought that "Yeah, the gun just went off by itself". When I explained that it wasn't possible. They go "Well what if some bumped or kicked the pack?

An HK won't go off by itself. Even if dropped. (an older series 70 1911 will, under certain conditions).

Someone or something would have to pull the trigger inside that backpack.

More likely the trigger was pulled be a human hand.

Sad.

Bob

masameet
02-28-2012, 2:58 PM
Nope, the trigger was not set off by a human hand. Most likely something in the kid's backpack struck it momentarily. Quoted from the news article linked above:

... [the] .45-caliber, semiautomatic handgun [was] cocked and loaded, with its safety off ... in the boy's backpack when he slammed it on his desk ....

I hope this 9-year-old boy is not imprisoned. He was ignorant of firearms safety. He had no intent to hurt anybody. Most likely the State of Washington will put him into foster care -- I hope Washington finds him a family that will care for him.

I also hope that Armina recovers fully.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2012/02/23/2017581485.jpg
KEN LAMBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Jason Cochran hugs his son at the end of the boy's court hearing Thursday. The boy, 9, was charged with unlawful possession of a gun, bringing a dangerous weapon to school and third-degree assault.