PDA

View Full Version : M&P 5" Pro 9mm Issue

02-27-2012, 9:07 AM
Hello, I recently purchased a 5" Pro in 9mm for a new competition gun. I took it out last week and put approximately 200 rounds through it. I had about 6-7 light primer strikes out of those 200. I put those light strike rounds in a Sig 226 and all fired. I came home and did some looking online and found that I should make sure the striker assembly and striker channel were clean and these areas should have very little lube. I did that and then put another 250 rounds through this pistol with about the same results. I had about 10 light strikes. I put those rounds back into the pistol and all fired on the second go around.

I sent S&W an email last week and have still not heard back from them. I just ordered an extra power striker spring from Speed Shooters hoping that might do the trick. Anyone else had this issue and what was the fix. I really like the pistol and I think its going to be a great competition gun once the light strikes get cured.

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 9:22 AM
There should be NO lubrication at all, is your striker silver or Black? I had 2 fail to fires with RWS's hard primers until I upgraded to the new silver striker that has a stronger striker spring, is heavier and has a modified geometry for more reliable ignition.

Lubrication in the striker area will slow it down as you have experienced.

c3 rolling
02-27-2012, 9:37 AM
10 light primer strikes out of 250 rounds seems excessive, oil or not. I would send it to S&W for warranty work. My S&W Bodyguard also had this issue which they took care of. BTW were the other primer strikes uniform or inconsistant?

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 9:41 AM
10 light primer strikes out of 250 rounds seems excessive, oil or not. I would send it to S&W for warranty work. My S&W Bodyguard also had this issue which they took care of.

Why send it off if you clean it yourself in minutes? If there's still problems then send it off.

greybeard
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Have you tried a different brand of ammo? Could just be the ammo. I had a Kahr that did not like Horndey but shoot everything else. Most would fire second time thru.

02-27-2012, 4:03 PM
Thanks all, I have the silver colored striker. I did clean it and used no lube at all with the same results. I tried 4 different types of ammo. Just heard back from S&W. They are sending me a new Striker assembly. Hope that cures everything. The primer strikes where all consistent but just light. When I reloaded them in the gun again or shot in another pistol, all light strike rounds went bang.

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 4:05 PM
Silver colored striker? That is the latest revision, there may be another issue that they need to repair :(

BoJackUSMC
02-27-2012, 4:16 PM
Knowing Smith and Wesson, they will take care of you. They have excellent customer service like Springfield.

c3 rolling
02-27-2012, 5:34 PM
Why send it off if you clean it yourself in minutes? If there's still problems then send it off.

Wasted ammo and range fees?

beretta929mm
02-27-2012, 5:53 PM
Your clerance drill must be very good by now.

02-27-2012, 7:49 PM
Wasted ammo and range fees?

No wasted ammo. It's all good. I got some trigger time (most of the rounds went off just fine). Plus I live in a place where I shoot all I want when I want on my property.

MyGlock17
02-27-2012, 8:20 PM
your striker pin shouldn't have oil...but i have heard problems with the m&p during competition...

Blackhawk556
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
^^^Yeah and I've heard of glocks going kaboom!

chim-chim7
02-28-2012, 2:24 AM
All brands of guns have problems and fail on occasion.

02-28-2012, 6:32 AM
I realize all guns can have problems. I have had to send a M1A back to Springfield and a NEF rifle back for defects. They all paid shipping both ways and took care of the problems. I received contact from S&W and they are shipping me out a new striker assembly. Hope that works. If not, I have no doubts S&W will make it right. Once the problem is worked out, I think this is going to be a very good pistol for competition.

c3 rolling
02-28-2012, 9:27 AM
Good luck man, hopefully the striker fixes it. On my Bodyguard .380 light primer strike issue, the trigger came back even heavier after S&W repaired it (12+ pounds!) . Hopefully it doesnt come to that on a comp pistol.