PDA

View Full Version : whats up with all the m&p love lately?

Blackhawk556
02-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Many people seem to be liking the m&p more and more these days. I love mine but I want to know why YOU like them so much. Even though people love them, they always complain about the trigger. Every single M&P thread includes, "Buy the apex trigger kit". If the trigger is that bad, then why is there so much love for them? Shouldn't the guns with sweet triggers have all the love and the ones with crappy triggers get all the hate? May be it is because so many departments are switching to them?

triplestack3
02-27-2012, 12:58 AM
I like the ergonomic feel. The M&P that I got already had the apex kit installed, so I can't speak for the factory trigger. Ended up costing me less than a G22, so it was pretty much a no brainer.

speeedracerr
02-27-2012, 1:00 AM
I love both my M&P 40 and 45. Never had issues with the stock trigger and definitely love the ergonomic feel as triplestack3 mentioned.

drifter2be
02-27-2012, 1:13 AM
How is the stock trigger on an M&P. That crappy trigger on the Sigma has pretty much scared me away from ever touching another S&W pistol.

ruchik
02-27-2012, 2:14 AM
In all honesty it's not that bad. It's the reset that's annoying; it isn't very distinct. The break is fine, though.

AdiosKali
02-27-2012, 5:44 AM
I am cool with the factory trigger. I know it is not a 1911. They say it gets better over time.

The tacticle/audible reset is a gripe for former Glock shooters.

gwanghoops
02-27-2012, 5:59 AM
M&P 45 -- great ergonomics, light trigger w/Apex mods, shot well (for me). Shot the MP9 several times -- didn't shoot as well (for me). The stock trigger lasted one range run (newbies like me hate medium heavy trigger pulls and don't even understand resets).

It's all the publicity to buy a great ergonomic gun with a "bad" trigger and turn it into a great gun -- just about every online review / comment / thread includes "buy an APEX trigger kit" with links to Apex with lots of M&P goodies and youtube videos.

I've read many of guns with good ergonomics, but few mention turning it into having a great trigger with a specific kit.

As a newbie, I bought an M&P 45 with little range time based upon these reviews. Although it did turn out to be a great choice, I don't think I would have done it the same way again. Now, I ignore most opinions stated in gun reviews except for specific compliments or complaints.

BTW, a few people mention the fact that removing the rear sight is a PITA, and even fewer mention how to remove it without marring the finish.

Jpcm
02-27-2012, 8:22 AM
I think people are just trying to give a fair review of pros and cons. The trigger is the only con I have of the gun but even then it's not as bad as it's made out to be. I've rather a review be fair, every gun has its pros and cons. People say "glock ftw" but don't mention the brick like feel (my opinion). I think for an american made polymer pistol that is affordable and in my opinion an attractive gun, you can't go wrong. People mod 1911's and glocks regularly but the still have the perfect gun mentality towards them. I love my m&p and will never sell it. M&p ftw

rsrocket1
02-27-2012, 8:36 AM
It must be hit-and-miss with mostly miss on the trigger (hearing from all the complainers). My M&P40 had a very slightly gritty trigger out of the box, but now breaks clean as glass and breaks at a very controllable 4.2-4.4 pounds. I don't have a trigger pull scale, I only "ghetto" measured it with a hanger hook and weights.

For target shooting, you simply pull back until it stops, then 4 pounds later-bang.
In a rapid fire situation, if you are familiar with where the reset catches, you don't have to release the trigger all the way to ensure the trigger resets, you can certainly feel it.

Lovin
02-27-2012, 8:40 AM
Many people seem to be liking the m&p more and more these days. I love mine but I want to know why YOU like them so much. Even though people love them, they always complain about the trigger. Every single M&P thread includes, "Buy the apex trigger kit". If the trigger is that bad, then why is there so much love for them? Shouldn't the guns with sweet triggers have all the love and the ones with crappy triggers get all the hate? May be it is because so many departments are switching to them?

I, too, do not understand the "Buy this one because it's cheaper, but drop this $90 trigger into it because the stock one sucks" paradox.

I get the grip, I get everything else, but the trigger kills it and if you can shoot anything else just as well.........why would you bother with the M&P?

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 8:53 AM

Because we are talking about $500 production guns, not every gun will have good or bad trigger. Many people complaining came from Glocks which is not a great trigger but had a short distinctive reset that's missing on the M&P but fixed by Apex and others. Having a "sweet" trigger is low on the priority list for duty, defensive and/or carry guns from the factory for $500.

Departments are switching to them because they are great guns overall that rival Glock on their short-comings yet fall short in other areas.

brian5271
02-27-2012, 9:17 AM
I have an M&P 45 and like it a lot. Close to 8k rounds with zero FTF\FTE. The ergonomics are great for me and with the thumb safety it is probably as close as you are going to get to the feel of a 1911 with a plastic gun.

Coming from 1911’s the trigger on the M&P took a little to get used to, but it is not that bad. I use it to shoot steel challenges and have had no problems. Sure it is not a full open race gun, but it is a 100% reliable, smooth shooting gun that cost me a little over $500. What more can you ask for?

Jack L
02-27-2012, 9:22 AM

ergonomics is why I like mine..............in a self defense scenario, once you are pumped full of adrenalin the stock trigger will work just fine.........

zfields
02-27-2012, 9:27 AM

To pick on your sigline,

CZ's dont have great out of the box triggers either, what makes them rock : )

Really any production guns is going to need some work to get the trigger dialed in, otherwise it couldn't hit a price point where it could be mass produced.

greybeard
02-27-2012, 9:27 AM
The more people talk postively about them, the more people are going to buy them etc...
I liked my M&P 45 trigger out of the box compared to my M&P 9 and 40

ZombieTactics
02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll tell you my story as someone who doesn't own an M&P, but may yet. Of Glock, Ruger SR, Springfield XD and M&P ... the M&P is the one which feels the most "like crap" to me when handling it in the gun store. I'd never even considered thsi gun based upon in-store experience.

However, recently in in a Tactical Response class we were forced to repeatedly shoot other people's guns as part of an exercise/drill. The two M&P pistols - one on .45ACP and the other 9mm - shot extremely well. The "crappy trigger" was no issue at all under actual use conditions.

Definitely an eye-opener.

Legasat
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
For me, they are just more comfortable and easy to shoot. I may try an APEX kit someday, but the factory trigger smooths out a bit with use, and not hard to get used to.

I enjoy all three of mine.

oeno
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I just purchased a M&P 9 and will be picking it up tomorrow. I found it fit me really well and it was one of the better shooters for me. For me it compares to a P226, which I love to shoot. So with the M&P I love the fit and how it shoots but what really sold me was the ambi features. I am right handed but prefer to shoot with my left hand. I think this is do to being left eye dominate. How I feel long term we will see.

gorenut
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
The way I see it.. the M&P is essentially the "Glock" for those who don't want Glocks due to some common complaints of:
1) Ergos, including grip angle, etc.
2) Aesthetics.
3) Association. Simply put.. as childish as it seems, but a lot of people don't like being associated with Glocks. This can be a mix of thinking Glock owners are ghetto gangster/thugs, spamming know-it-alls that disregard every other firearm (fanboyism), and it being just plain too common and nothing "special"

I hope most fall into group 1 with a little bit of 2. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a bit who are 3 (some are still in the closet about it).

Just my observation. I think M&Ps are great, but they seemed more popular last year when there was a greater shortage. Now I'm seeing a lot of them go on sale for close to $400 (as opposed to closer to $500 last year). That's a good thing in my opinion. I think the more people that own them, the more parts/support that'll be available for the gun.

rccar
02-27-2012, 1:10 PM
A not so great trigger is easy to fix while bad ergonomic isn't.

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 1:11 PM

Hey that's what I say :43:

sanjosebmx
02-27-2012, 1:38 PM
my trigger is fine, I do have 1000 + rounds through mine (.40 cal). I can pretty consistently get 1-2" groups from 15 yards and I can't recall one misfire / misfeed or mis anything. whats not to love?

BajaJames83
02-27-2012, 1:40 PM
ergo, was why i got mine.
I think it got alot of popularity from the MagPul guys

c3 rolling
02-27-2012, 2:33 PM
The M&P9 I fondled at the store was sweet except it had the grittiest trigger I have ever felt on a polymer pistol, felt like sand in the trigger. They only had one in stock so I couldn't compare it to another. Was this your experience and if it is, does it go away after a lot of shooting and dry firing? My older Glocks are as smooth as butter with a thousands of rounds through them. M&P 40 is proabably going to be my next polymer purchase :D

stix213
02-27-2012, 2:33 PM
A buddy picked one up and it feels really nice in my hand. To the point I'm considering one.

Can't buy anything here
02-27-2012, 2:35 PM
It gives people who are into Glock style pistols a sexier alternative...and let's be honest..we all like to think looks don't matter with a "tool"...but it does...same with holsters...:)

schneiderguy
02-27-2012, 2:46 PM
The M&P9 I fondled at the store was sweet except it had the grittiest trigger I have ever felt on a polymer pistol, felt like sand in the trigger. They only had one in stock so I couldn't compare it to another. Was this your experience and if it is, does it go away after a lot of shooting and dry firing? My older Glocks are as smooth as butter with a thousands of rounds through them. M&P 40 is proabably going to be my next polymer purchase :D

The grit went away after about 500 rounds on mine.

cortayack
02-27-2012, 2:49 PM
I own a MP45 and it already had the trigger worked on....So I don't know what a stock trigger feels like, but mine is good! MP feels good in my hand, (I did have to change my hand grip, I'm use to shooting 1911's) and is pretty accurate...My MP has eaten up all my reloads without problems....Very pleased with the gun!

Sam
02-27-2012, 3:13 PM

Couldn't agree more. While I can shoot well with a Glock, I'd really need to invest in getting the grip reduced which is a more intensive adventure than getting an M&P and putting an apex trigger in.

Prospector
02-27-2012, 3:53 PM
Fit and feel is nice. THe trigger reset not so much. Overall it is a great gun...

MyGlock17
02-27-2012, 4:30 PM
i think the m&p is starting to build it's reputation...it looks and feels good in the hands and the quality is just amazing for the price...i have not shot it yet though...but im sure i'll end up getting one in the near future after i get a sig 229 and xd subcompact...

beretta929mm
02-27-2012, 4:55 PM
People are bored with Glocks and XDs, so the M&P is the new found love

pyromensch
02-27-2012, 8:33 PM
In all honesty it's not that bad. It's the reset that's annoying; it isn't very distinct. The break is fine, though.

i have 2 M&P 45's, one compact, and i don't notice the trigger..i am concentrating on the sights. they are not "target" firearms, they are "defensive", or shooters.

i bought mine because they feel a hell of alot better than a glock, and better than a XD

SuperSet
02-27-2012, 8:37 PM
MagPul Dynamics!

pyromensch
02-27-2012, 8:38 PM
A buddy picked one up and it feels really nice in my hand. To the point I'm considering one.

if "your buddy" picked one up. how exactly does it feel nice in your hand?

:p

InGrAM
02-27-2012, 8:45 PM
The M&P fixed all of the ergo problems I had with the glock.

Shenaniguns
02-27-2012, 8:50 PM
i have 2 M&P 45's, one compact, and i don't notice the trigger..i am concentrating on the sights. they are not "target" firearms, they are "defensive", or shooters.

i bought mine because they feel a hell of alot better than a glock, and better than a XD

Defensive firearms need to be consistent enough for its shooter as well... Shooting at speed and/or at distances beyond 15 yards proved to me that I can either deal with the fake reset and long overtravel which cause more flyers than I'm used too or fix it. I chose to fix it.

Just an FYI, Apex Tactical Specialties Duty trigger and Ram are approved to over a dozen agencies. So tell me why they and DocGKR would use them?

Some of you guys need to think outside the box.

Sam
02-27-2012, 9:33 PM
Defensive firearms need to be consistent enough for its shooter as well... Shooting at speed and/or at distances beyond 15 yards proved to me that I can either deal with the fake reset and long overtravel which cause more flyers than I'm used too or fix it. I chose to fix it.

Just an FYI, Apex Tactical Specialties Duty trigger and Ram are approved to over a dozen agencies. So tell me why they and DocGKR would use them?

Some of you guys need to think outside the box.

Yeah, just because it is a "defensive" firearm doesn't mean it can't have a good trigger. At least in my experience, better triggers equal better shooting, which is paramount in a defensive situation.

Blackhawk556
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
When I read, "Because you can fix a bad trigger but not bad ergos" it made a lot of sense. Something so obvious but I wasn't thinking of at the moment. No matter how much I wanted to like my g17, the ergos just didn't cut it. It had to be sold. I still need to try out a gen 4 before I cross them out for good.

Shenaniguns
02-28-2012, 4:47 AM
Yeah, just because it is a "defensive" firearm doesn't mean it can't have a good trigger. At least in my experience, better triggers equal better shooting, which is paramount in a defensive situation.

Exactly! With a "better" trigger you can have less disruption to the sight picture as the trigger breaks which in turn puts the bullet where you want it too.

BigDogatPlay
02-28-2012, 5:58 AM
The examples I've handled, across all the calibers, just feel good in my hand and they point very well for me. I was also put off by the Sigma, but now they seem to have gotten it right. So much so that I'm buying one later this year.

Gryff
02-28-2012, 7:46 AM

Agreed. My M&P40c is my LTC gun, and I won't trick out a gun to which I trust my life. Stock trigger works fine for self-defense.

Drewski
02-28-2012, 5:19 PM
I love my M&P for one reason. Made in the USA!!!!

All four of them that is....

Bukowski
02-28-2012, 5:59 PM
They fit and they work?

What more do you want from a pistol??

tbc
02-28-2012, 6:26 PM
They fit and they work?

What more do you want from a pistol??

And they look good :)

S dot
02-28-2012, 6:44 PM
The added length of time helps in determining its street cred too. You know that big "R" word Glockheads always vaunt about and say is unparalleled.