PDA

View Full Version : Romney hunted on 2 occasions

Can'thavenuthingood
04-04-2007, 7:07 PM
Okaay, so howcum we never see a pro 2A politician at a shooting range banging away at paper and supporting small business in the process? And why does it seem the only time the 2A or NRA is a big deal is when running for election?
And howcum, he doesn't go down to his FFL and get something ugly and black to show support?

This guy Romney says he's hunted all his life, twice. Like the 16 year old kid "I been shaving for 2 years now and cut myself both times".

I'm tired of the same old crap.
'Spent the day with Wayne and all is rosy. Needs the NRA vote so he joins the NRA. Okay I'm convinced I'll vote for hime to be Pope if he wants it now.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Vick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2007/04/04/ap-state-id/d8oa3bg00.txt
AP Enterprise: Romney, self-described lifelong hunter, has hunted on two occasions

By GLEN JOHNSON
BOSTON - To hear Mitt Romney talk on the campaign trail, you might think the Republican presidential candidate had a gun rack in the back of his pickup truck.

"I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life," he said this week in Keene, N.H., to a man sporting a National Rifle Association cap.

Yet the former Massachusetts governor's hunting experience is limited to two trips at the bookends of his 60 years: as a 15-year-old, when he hunted rabbits with his cousins on a ranch in Idaho, and last year, when he shot quail on a fenced game preserve in Georgia.

Last year's trip was an outing with major donors to the Republican Governors Association, which Romney headed at the time.

An aide said Wednesday that Romney was not trying to mislead anyone, although he confirmed Romney had been hunting only on those occasions in his life.

"Gov. Romney's support for the Second Amendment doesn't come from the fact he knows how to handle a firearm; it comes from his appreciation of the Constitution and the rights enshrined in it, including the right to keep and bear arms," said campaign spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.

He went on to cite the pro-gun measures Romney signed into law while serving as governor from 2003 to this past January.

Romney himself made several of the same points to the Keene audience, while also trying to offer some perspective on his hunting experience.

"I support the Second Amendment," he told the man who had asked about his views on the constitutional right to bear arms. "I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life. I've never really shot anything terribly big. I used to hunt rabbits."

Romney added: "Shooting a rabbit with a single-shot .22 is pretty hard, and after watching me try for a couple of weeks, (my cousins) said, `We'll slip you the semiautomatic. You'll do better with that.' And I sure did."

On the Georgia excursion, he said, "I knocked quite a few birds and enjoyed myself a great deal."

Expressing familiarity with and support for gun rights is key among Republican presidential contenders, who count gun owners, members of the military and the NRA itself among their potential supporters.

It helps explain why Romney joined the NRA last August, signing up not just as a supporter but a designated "Lifetime" member, and why he has softened his gun control positions.

Romney told a Derry, N.H., audience, "I'm after the NRA's endorsement. I'm not sure they'll give it to me. I hope they will. I also joined because if I'm going to ask for their endorsement, they're going to ask for mine."

During a 1994 U.S. Senate campaign, Romney positioned himself as a moderate outsider, warning special interest groups to stay out of the race and saying he supported the Brady gun control law and a ban on assault rifles.

"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," he told the Boston Herald at the time. "I don't line up with a lot of special interest groups."

It's a theme he carried into his 2002 gubernatorial campaign. At the time, Romney pledged to do nothing to change the state's firearms statutes.

"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts. I support them. I won't chip away at them. I believe they protect us and provide for our safety," he said.

True to his word, Romney went on to sign one of the toughest assault weapons laws in the country.

Romney, though, also took steps to protect the rights of gun owners as governor.

The assault weapons ban won the backing of Massachusetts gun owners in part because it included provisions extending the term of a firearms identification card and a license to carry weapons from four to six years. It also created a Firearm License Review Board to provide an appeals process for people whose license applications had been denied.

In 2006, Romney also signed NRA-backed legislation creating exemptions for the makers of customized target pistols who had found it too expensive to sell their guns in Massachusetts because of a state regulation requiring them to test at least five examples of new products "until destruction."

In February, Romney was touting such measures as he and his wife, Ann, toured the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show in Orlando, Fla., with Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive vice president.

"I'm proud to be among the many decent, law-abiding men and women who safely use firearms," Romney said.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

M. Sage
04-04-2007, 7:16 PM
Ugh... "I'm a pro anti-gunner." Puh-lease. This guy's got zero street cred.

luvtolean
04-04-2007, 7:18 PM
Who are you going to turn to though?

Giuliani wouldn't even go through the motions.

McCain has soiled himself.

Obama and Hillary aren't even worth mention in regards to anything pro-gun.

So far, he's the most pro-gun guy to emerge with a decent war chest.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-04-2007, 7:33 PM
So far, he's the most pro-gun guy to emerge with a decent war chest

Hence my frustration.
Every election its who is the least likely to do very much damage to 2A. Who can be somewhat trusted to not screw things up too much?

And its not necessarily just the 2nd Amendment issue. Its the shucking and jiving on virtually all the issues without taking a stand. Without actually saying what they are for and where their principals lie. The proof is in their life long habits and way of living what they believe.

The electorate is not voting because there is no one to vote FOR so they stay home.
No principals, no convictions, not speaking feloniously of course. Is that a word?

Somebody please step up and LEAD.

Vick

Steyr_223
04-04-2007, 8:28 PM
Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, Sam Brownback, Duncan Hunter, Tom Tancredo

Glasshat
04-04-2007, 8:30 PM
I know these politicians are the smartest people in the world but for the life of me I can't imagine how being pro-target practice and pro-self defense can lose an election especially in this age of home invasion robberies, gang violence, islamic terrorism, etc.

I would donate much money to the first conservative candidate who bump fires a 30-round mag and afterwards exclaims, "now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!"

But I know it'll never happen.

FatKatMatt
04-04-2007, 9:17 PM
This kind of reminds me of when Bill Clinton went duck hunting, to show his "support" for 2A after he signed (or before, I don't know) the 1994 AWB. Pathetic.

CalNRA
04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
nothing like John Kerry in the middle of a group of deer hunters.

Bishop
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
For those of you thinking about Mitt, he's been very clear on his stance on AWs...

click here to watch Mitt dance (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/mitt-romney-on-awb-and-2nd-amendment.html)

He sure isn't getting my vote...

bwiese
04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, Sam Brownback, Duncan Hunter, Tom Tancredo

And the last 4 have zero chance of winning or even any rational fundraising.

JPN6336
04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
For those of you thinking about Mitt, he's been very clear on his stance on AWs...

click here to watch Mitt dance (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/mitt-romney-on-awb-and-2nd-amendment.html)

He sure isn't getting my vote...

He does some dancing but at the same time he references machine guns when discussing Assault Weapons Ban. Maybe this "long-time hunter" needs to be educated.

anonymous
04-05-2007, 2:20 PM
Okaay, so howcum we never see a pro 2A politician at a shooting range banging away at paper and supporting small business in the process?

Gosh, you should know by now that in politics, the 2nd ammendment only protects the right of hunting. Target shooting is for criminals.

SunshineGlocker
04-05-2007, 2:22 PM
I'm pro-RKBA and I've hunted on precisely zero occasions, and it shall remain that way my entire life.

Bishop
04-05-2007, 2:51 PM
So are you suggesting we vote for the cantidates with the greatest chance of winning, the most money raised?

Should we continue to compromise on the "lesser of two evils" like our country has done for the last hundred years?

Or should we vote for what we believe in, no matter the odds?

Exactly. Vote your conscience. I'm sick of settling, and sick of this two party system letting us down on things like border security! :mad:

Glasshat
04-05-2007, 8:37 PM
Easier said than done. How many candidates have ever met your criteria or eased your conscience? Even if you have a short list of items that can not be compromised, is there ever a candidate that you really want deciding things for you?
It sucks, but if you don't choose the lesser of two evils, you will get evil nonetheless.

Super_tactical
04-06-2007, 1:16 AM
I voted for Bush the first time because I believed what he said.

I voted for Bush the 2nd time instead of voting my conscience.

I voted for Arnold instead of voting my conscience.

NO MORE!!

I vow to vote my conscience from now on. Let the chips fall as they may. It is time to stand up.

xenophobe
04-06-2007, 5:09 AM
Romney is just another fake politician. He'll say whatever is politically expedient to win.

xenophobe
04-06-2007, 5:11 AM
I voted for Bush the first time because I believed what he said.

I voted for Bush the 2nd time instead of voting my conscience.

I voted for Arnold instead of voting my conscience.

I voted for Bush the first time because his opposition was Al Gore.

I voted for Bush a second time because his opposition was John Kerry.

I'm still happy Al Gore and John Kerry didn't win.

I will vote for any Republican this time because Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama will be his opposition.

Bishop
04-06-2007, 5:45 PM
I will vote for any Republican this time because Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama will be his opposition.

I wish I could say the same, but I'm tired of voting republican, and getting tossed out into the cold when they win!

I say teach 'em a lesson, consequences be damned. I want someone who represents me, not someone who represents what I hate the least. People don't realize what power their votes have. We all act as if by voting third party, we're only going to contribute to the problem. Bull. If 20% of registered republicans vote libertarian or don't vote at all, they will get the message loud and clear. "WE DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING. STOP IT."

Don't feel lost or abandoned. Don't feel forced or coerced. And definitely don't feel powerless!!!

ljg17
11-22-2007, 11:07 AM
What is wrong with Fred Thompson?

bwiese
11-22-2007, 11:11 AM
The actual "how much is he pro-gun" stance of the upcoming Prez is fairly irrelevant.

Balance of forces in House/Senate is gun-favorable (look at post-VaTech).

What is most important IS APPOINTMENT OF PRO-GUN SUPREME CT JUSTICES, with pro-gun = strict constructionist. Most of the Repub crop will lean this way even if not the greatest on gun issues.

There is a very real chance a Repub pres could propose our Janice Rogers Brown, or someone with a similar mindset, as a new Supreme.

By contrast, let's say we got a pro-gun Dem like Richardson. I have no doubts as to his pro-gun sentiments. But he's likely to propose replacement Supremes that are "evolving document" types, which is more harmful to us even though he himself is pro-gun.

Ya gotta play for the endgame, not what's on the surface...

otteray
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I have to vote for the Republican candidate.
Otherwise, my wife's vote for Billary the Cackler will mean something.
We always cancel each other out, when it comes to voting the major elections.

BigDogatPlay
11-22-2007, 5:05 PM
What is wrong with Fred Thompson?

Relative to Amendment Two and a number of other important issues such as immigration and the WOT, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Fred Thompson. It's part of why I am supporting him. The problem is that the media has it pre-ordained to be Rudy v. Hillary or perhaps Mitt v. Hillary with that evil old woman walking out with the prize at the end of the day.

Fred played the game the old way and a lot of people didn't like it. He continues to suffer for it in fundraising, traction, media spin etc. etc. etc. It seems unfortunate, but it is the nature of the beast these days.

So Romney has hunted twice... no doubt two times more than Rudy and certainly two times more than Hillary if you don't count her trolling around Wellesly all those years ago for dates. But Romney is not our friend... and neither is Rudy. Ron Paul, while the man of many here and other places, is simply not attractive or electable on a national level. He scares people every time he opens his mouth.

If we're looking solely at Amendment Two candidates with any kind of chance then you have only one choice on the Democrat side, Richardson, and limited choices on the Republican side. Either way, we're all going to have to get off our butts and vote... in the primaries and in the general, to have any hope of heading off Camp Clinton Part Deux because when you get down to it the eleciton really is about putting judges on the bench as others have pointed out.