PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Buy Any .22 LR Handgun That I Want?

Capybara
02-26-2012, 3:14 PM
Hi all:

I would like to buy:

A Ruger SR22, possibly a Browning 1911-22 (although I have heard mixed reviews about it as far as it's overpriced) or a CZ 75 Kadet (not listed on the Roster?).

I don't want a Walther, SIG, GSG, have already checked all three out and none of them are of interest to me for various reasons. I don't want a MKII or MKIII or a Buckmark for various reasons, none of which have anything to do with the quality of guns, which are excellent.

So it looks as if none of the three that I like are available. What else should I be looking at for a small to full sized .22 LR semi-auto? I need something for my daughter for a handgun class we are going to take together and she has decided that she wants to learn handguns, have heard lots of advice that a .22 LR is a smart way to go for a first handgun for a woman shooter. I also have a Ruger P95DC and a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded, neither seem like a good candidate for my daughter. The main criteria is easy to break down, clean and re-assemble, which is why I am avoiding a MKIII or a Buckmark, great guns, not easy for a beginner to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

The Ruger SR22 would be perfect but they don't exist, I have searched about 30 dealers and am on numerous lists but nothing is coming through after a couple of months of waiting.

Advice? Is it me or does it seem like there are few .22 LR pistols, besides revolvers, Mark IIIs or Buckmarks that you can actually buy, everything else seems out of stock everywhere.

Thanks,

Dan

Sunday
02-26-2012, 3:16 PM
How about a Ruger 22/45? People seem to be buying guns like crazy!! I went to the grand opening at Sportmans Warehouse in Redding Calif. and I couldn't believe all the first time buyers for handguns because of the line to take the HSC. test. The line looked like Costcos on the day before Christmas.

Capybara
02-26-2012, 3:26 PM
Yeah, that's what I seem to be seeing. It is only February, the elections aren't until November yet there seems to a huge run on guns and ammo. Kind of lame, I'm not buying because I am worried Obama will be elected again, I just want to buy to go take a class with my daughter. I have seen the 22/45, it is kind of funky looking but looks aside, how easy would it be for a newbie woman shooter to tear down, clean and re-assemble? I like Rugers, I have a Ruger Red Label, a 10/22 and my P95, their stuff is solid.

I guess the good part is I can actually find a 22/45 on the shelf, but how easy is it to clean?

Thanks,

Dan

Merc1138
02-26-2012, 4:07 PM
It's the same as a mkIII to clean. The problem isn't necessarily cleaning the things(a bore snake isn't exactly difficult to use), it's stripping them(which isn't something that needs to be done often, or at all for some people).

You want a .22 semi auto, but you've crossed most of them off of the list with the exceptions of one that only just came out(the sr22), the browning 1911-22(I wasn't aware that it actually became available at any point), and the cz kadet(not exactly common).

With the Neos off the roster, pretty much all you have left is the various 1911 clones in .22, or a .22 conversion kit for the 1911 you already have, and the smith&wessons, that's it.

jchappies
02-26-2012, 4:44 PM
I was only on a waiting list for 4 days for a SR22 (that was last week)

Oldnoob
02-26-2012, 5:51 PM
Hi all:

I would like to buy:

A Ruger SR22, possibly a Browning 1911-22 (although I have heard mixed reviews about it as far as it's overpriced) or a CZ 75 Kadet (not listed on the Roster?).

I don't want a Walther, SIG, GSG, have already checked all three out and none of them are of interest to me for various reasons. I don't want a MKII or MKIII or a Buckmark for various reasons, none of which have anything to do with the quality of guns, which are excellent.

So it looks as if none of the three that I like are available. What else should I be looking at for a small to full sized .22 LR semi-auto? I need something for my daughter for a handgun class we are going to take together and she has decided that she wants to learn handguns, have heard lots of advice that a .22 LR is a smart way to go for a first handgun for a woman shooter. I also have a Ruger P95DC and a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded, neither seem like a good candidate for my daughter. The main criteria is easy to break down, clean and re-assemble, which is why I am avoiding a MKIII or a Buckmark, great guns, not easy for a beginner to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

The Ruger SR22 would be perfect but they don't exist, I have searched about 30 dealers and am on numerous lists but nothing is coming through after a couple of months of waiting.

Advice? Is it me or does it seem like there are few .22 LR pistols, besides revolvers, Mark IIIs or Buckmarks that you can actually buy, everything else seems out of stock everywhere.

Thanks,

Dan

I was at Oak Tree Gun Club few days ago and they have 3 Browning 1911-22 in stock. Price IIRC was around $550ish.

Capybara
02-26-2012, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the heads-up oldnoob. I will check that out.

Dan

Capybara
02-26-2012, 7:39 PM
With the Neos off the roster...

California is so stupid, all of the kind of bizarre-looking but well reviewed and inexpensive Beretta Neos are off roster but the Beretta 87 Target and the 87 Cheetah (both $800.00 to $900.00 .22 pistols) are on the roster. I hate this state more every day. Why in he** do we even have a roster? How did this happen? The roster is a perfect, covert erosion of our rights and makes zero sense, just like bullet buttons, 10 round mags, etc. The anti-gunners who run this state just don't give up, they are just going to keep chipping and chipping away at our rights.

If someone comes up with a viable contender to the SR22, that is as reliable, fun to shoot and affordable, they are going to make a bloody fortune. Too bad the Walther is built terribly and breaks, the SIG jams, the GSG is built not so good, with the economy the way it is, a lot of us want to practice with .22s but the choices are so limited unless you spend 1911 .45 ACP money.

Sure, I'd love to have an S&W .22 revolver but $700.00-$800.00 is a little steep. The Rugers are good, solid and accurate but as the Internet will attest, a royal PITA to clean and breakdown.

Sigh...

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Dan

gant
02-26-2012, 7:58 PM
the ruger sr22 is easily found i got it from this website, takes 2days to ship to your dealer

its 299 shipped...then your dealers fees= the same amount you would pay if they had it in stock

i doubt any dealer around is selling them for 299

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/57389/name/ruger-sr22-22lr-black-3.5

edit: seems like its back ordered, it was in stock for many weeks though on this website

hyperion.excal
02-26-2012, 8:35 PM
Yeah, that's what I seem to be seeing. It is only February, the elections aren't until November yet there seems to a huge run on guns and ammo. Kind of lame, I'm not buying because I am worried Obama will be elected again, I just want to buy to go take a class with my daughter. I have seen the 22/45, it is kind of funky looking but looks aside, how easy would it be for a newbie woman shooter to tear down, clean and re-assemble? I like Rugers, I have a Ruger Red Label, a 10/22 and my P95, their stuff is solid.

I guess the good part is I can actually find a 22/45 on the shelf, but how easy is it to clean?

Thanks,

Dan
I see, people are prepping early.

More guns, more magazines and tons of ammo. Just incase SHTF

greybeard
02-26-2012, 8:38 PM
There is always the Sig mosquito

PEZHEAD265
02-27-2012, 4:08 AM
What about the ISSC 22 which looks like a Glock??Heard pretty good reviews on them.

Capybara
02-27-2012, 7:28 AM
Greybeard:

I have read that the Mosquito is well-known for jams, not a gun I would consider. Pezhead, I have not heard of this gun, I will check it out.

BTW, checked out the dis-assembly videos on YouTube for the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger 22/45. No thanks, my daughter would have big problems dealing with either one of them.

That's one thing that I think my Ruger P95 has that it seems like none of the 22s have, the P95 is super easy to field strip, I can do it with my eyes closed in about 15 seconds with no tools, no fuss, no muss. I actually shoot my P95 more than my 1911 for this reason, I know I can clean the Ruger in about 3 minutes whereas I can handle field stripping the 1911, but it is a lot more of a hassle putting it back together. Takes more time.

Dan

Thanks,

Dan

Capybara
02-27-2012, 7:39 AM
the ruger sr22 is easily found i got it from this website, takes 2days to ship to your dealer

its 299 shipped...then your dealers fees= the same amount you would pay if they had it in stock

i doubt any dealer around is selling them for 299

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/57389/name/ruger-sr22-22lr-black-3.5

edit: seems like its back ordered, it was in stock for many weeks though on this website

Darn! Missed again. I wonder if it is worth placing on back order? Ruger says this gun will be allocated out in small amounts for the rest of the year.

Dan

Xtracrispy
02-27-2012, 7:45 AM
FWIW, my Mosquito is decently reliable. Does not seem to like 500-550 bulk pack ammo, but runs fine on Remington Thunderbolts, which are $2/50 rounds at walmart last time I checked. A lot better than $9/100 for Mini mags.

Just need to oil the snot out of it, and run high velocity ammo.

MA2
02-27-2012, 7:50 AM
1 left as of me posting (I never used them, so no idea of service)
http://grabagun.com/ruger-sr22-pistol-22lr-3-5-bl-as.html

The ISSC is on sale at Turners this week for $350 (review it if you do go this route).

jchappies
02-27-2012, 7:51 AM
WOW!! Cant believe this gun is such a hot item……..glad I got mine.

Lead Waster
02-27-2012, 7:56 AM
Don't sell your daughter short on her ability to disassemble and clean a mkii/mk3.

So what if she is a newbie or a woman? The diseased blot process is learnable. I watched a YouTube video and followed the ruger manual to disassemble the mk2. It wasn't that hard. And even if there are a lot of steps to it, there is nothing that would stop either a newbie or a (gasp!) woman from doing it.

To get the cz kadet, you have to buy a 9mm cz75. The cadet kit is a dedicated .22lr upper for that gun. So the kit itself is not on the roster as it doesn't need to be. CSS are in short supply nowadays.

greybeard
02-27-2012, 7:56 AM
FWIW, my Mosquito is decently reliable. Does not seem to like 500-550 bulk pack ammo, but runs fine on Remington Thunderbolts, which are $2/50 rounds at walmart last time I checked. A lot better than $9/100 for Mini mags.

Yes it does not like some ammo just like most .22 LR. My MKIII hates Federal bulk.

Davinho
02-27-2012, 8:52 AM
Take a look at the Smith & Wesson 22A. Stay away from the Sig Trailside.

greybeard
02-27-2012, 9:00 AM
Curious why stay away? I love mine.

TheBest
02-27-2012, 9:03 AM

My Mosquito is reliable and tacticool. It runs Blazer and Minimags, but that's only the only type of ammo I buy. Minimag is only $7/100 at Walmart... I bought a case of Blazer.

wolfy
02-27-2012, 9:25 AM

I agree the 22a is a fine weapon and can be picked up for under 230.

Xtracrispy
02-27-2012, 9:34 AM
Should have been more specific, probably. I have not tried Blazer bulk in my Mosquito. I tried to run mine on Federal bulk yesterday, lots of FTE, just not enough power to rack the slide fully.

sneather
02-27-2012, 9:58 AM
What about the Beretta 87? Those are on the roster, and I've seen them on Gun Broker. Or you could easily post a WTB on the Beretta forum. Someone would likely sell your a good used one.

That's a superb little gun, and extremely easy to operate and strip down with no tools.

MA2
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
What about the Beretta 87?

Always have my eye on that one...only the price stops me.

sneather
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Always have my eye on that one...only the price stops me.

Yeah, the price does make you stop and make sure you're looking at an actual .22 and not a 9mm. But, at least in the long run you'll make up that money with cheaper ammo!

JNunez23
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
just go to Turners dude, they get a new stock of them every 2 weeks. Even better, put some $$$ down.

That's what people who are actually getting the gun are doing..

mincoda
02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
IMO the two 22 pistols at the top of the list would have to be an Mk Ruger or a Browning Buckmark. Good value better dependability than most other 22's on the market and a good platforms to enhance skills.

Both take a little training for field stripping "But come on man" with a little practice both aren't that bad.

WolfSamurai
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Ruger SR22 at Impact:

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-sr22-pistol-22lr-35in-10-rnd-mag-3600-736676036004.aspx

mr.BeBoT
02-27-2012, 2:30 PM
kygunco.com has more coming in and the website should show in stock tomorrow according to my phone call with them.

It was listed OOS during the weekend, but switched to back ordered which is what prompted me to call. Rep said the arriving inventory was more than enough to cover current back orders and switch the site status back to in stock.

No experience with them but I've been following the SR22 and it seems like several calgunners have gotten theirs from this place.

Davinho
02-28-2012, 7:23 AM
Curious why stay away? I love mine.

I may have have gotten a lemon, I sure hope so, but I really hated that pistol. First off, there was some internal rust under the barrel where the trigger guard/take down lever engaged. Nothing major, but off putting. Then when shooting I noticed that the plastic trigger flexed noticeably, ruining the feel for me. In fact, the whole pistol just felt cheap. But what really did it was the fact that once per magazine, a tiny little spring under the grip that pressed the trigger bar up into engagement with the sear would pop out of position, requiring me to disassemble and reassemble the pistol. I finally JB welded the damn thing into place, but I was done with that pistol at that point.

Now I have a Beretta 87 Target. It's a little small, and I think needs a stronger recoil spring. But it's quality construction, and based on a combat pistol, so it has real controls in the right places and feels like a real pistol, not something cheap and knocked together for plinking.

wamphyri13
02-28-2012, 4:27 PM
I'd go with the Browning. Super easy to maintain, interchangeable barrels, (both factory and aftermarket) easy to add optics to, and lots of options. I have the 5.5" Contour
and had a 7.25" Lite Splash. Both are great guns.
Ryan

Quickdraw Mcgraw
02-29-2012, 9:01 AM
I had all the same problems an went with an advantage arms conversion...see if anyone makes a .22lr conversion for your p95. When ya put one on a glock it works exactly the same as stock an is supa easy to disassimble/clean...which is good as .22s are dirty!!

DrewTheBrave
02-29-2012, 9:20 AM
"Why Can't I Buy Any .22 LR Handgun That I Want?"

Probably because you don't want (arguably) the best bang-for-buck .22LR handguns available in the Mark III or Buck Mark. From your post, it sounds like the SR22 Pistol is the best fit for your needs.

While I can't speak for the Ruger, my Browning hasn't needed anything more than an oiled-patch followed by a boresnake and some minor brushing to keep clean - no need to strip it. I've gone many hundreds of rounds without cleaning and had zero issues. The best part is, every new shooter I've taken to the range absolutely LOVES it.

If you can't find the SR22, don't be afraid to give the Buck Mark another look.

Moto4Fun
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I am following this topic as I too am interested in a semi auto .22. My dad has a MkII that I can and do shoot whenever I want, so I likely won't be getting something on that platform. I am more interested in something that is more representative of one of its big siblings. Maybe I just buy a center fire then get the .22 upper kit for it. Sig and Glock seem to support that conversion fairly readily. Any others?

squiddo
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I love my Walther P.22. No jams yet...........

zonzin
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
No parents, grand parents living in another (free) state?

CZ Kadet is an awesome .22,, love mine. You could also get a CZ 75 (roster gun) and the get the Kadet kit for it. 2 guns in one1!

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww82/rjubry/calg/DSC07558.jpg