PDA

View Full Version : S&W 4006 "Shorty Forty"...?

holiday
02-26-2012, 4:14 PM
hello,

i recently purchased a 4006 from a fellow calgunner here and i am looking for an armorers manual for it, or similar model.

i did some searching on the net and the closest i could find was a written description of a detail strip. i need pictures for this firearm...it has many more parts then my mp 9. i also found the manual but all that shows is a field strip..which i can already do on it.

any kind of help is appreciated...free is preferred (links or downloads), but would consider buying the armorers manual if i can find one.

thanks in advance

holiday

02-26-2012, 4:16 PM
My dad sent me this link last year and I saved it in my email knowing one day, it will come in handy.... Hope this helps!
Winchester 25-20 86rain Soft point Ammo

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

ThortheDog
02-26-2012, 4:30 PM
You may want to check the S&W forum if you haven't already:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

The third gen. pistols are discussed a lot in the simi-auto forum, and there are a couple armorers that are regulars there.

Sturnovik
02-26-2012, 4:36 PM
One of the few Smith pistols I've always wanted to own. Good choice OP. The 4006 takes a beating and still runs. Always wanted there tactical model with the light rail.

holiday
02-27-2012, 5:07 PM
thanks guys for the responses.

thanks for the link 223556! i will be sure to pass it on myself some day.

checked out the smith and wesson forum...even registered there a while back. i was actually kind of disappointed though, not much response or forum activity. i guess i may need to delve in there a little more...i did take some written instructions from there though.

i am hoping to track down some pics or a tutorial...the armorers manual would be the ultimate goal.

as far as the pistol goes, thanks for the props. i have not had it to the range yet, but did send it to s&w for new sites and they also did some minor smithing to get her into shooting condish. i will post back up when i can get her out to the range...i hope everything you mentioned turns out to be true. good enough for the chp so there must be something to like.

BillPear
02-28-2012, 5:09 PM
The Gun Digest Book of Automatic Pistols has a complete breakdown of the third gen smith (all VERY similar) and many other pistols if you have more than one I highly recomend it. you can find it on amazon and its not too expensive.

DesertSniper
02-29-2012, 7:59 AM
I have a 4006, it is a very nice pistol! accurate, comfortable and solid. great choice!

WWDHD?
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I have the smaller version: 4013 Tactical. Its a nice gun and someday I'd like to get the full-sized 4006 to go along with it. Still carried by the CHP and San Mateo county Sherif (last time I saw a deputy anyways). A real workhorse. Good luck.

Sturnovik
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I have the smaller version: 4013 Tactical. Its a nice gun and someday I'd like to get the full-sized 4006 to go along with it. Still carried by the CHP and San Mateo county Sherif (last time I saw a deputy anyways). A real workhorse. Good luck.

I was hoping to find a 4006 months ago and saw on gunbroker some states HP selling theres off and some vendors had them. All tactical models, its a sweet .40, not the best trigger but that thing is a tank.

WWDHD?
02-29-2012, 1:11 PM
I was hoping to find a 4006 months ago and saw on gunbroker some states HP selling theres off and some vendors had them. All tactical models, its a sweet .40, not the best trigger but that thing is a tank.

The trigger on mine is pretty good for a DA/SA pistol. If I remember correctly the Tactical (TSW) models wern't Performance series guns but got worked over a bit as if they were. I remember shooting a standard 4006 and the trigger felt a little heavier than my TSW. Whatever, these guns are nice shooters and its too bad S&W doesn't make them anymore unless your buying a thousand at a time for a big LE agency like the CHP.

OP, maybe I missed something but did you call S&W for a manual? I can't believe they don't have one to send you.

Neptune
02-29-2012, 3:36 PM
Yup, CHP switched from the 4006 to the 4006TSW a few years back, and those with small hands can carry the 4013 version.

San Mateo Sheriff's Dept still carry the 4006 as well, I was talking to two Deputies in Half Moon Bay the other day and they were both carrying 4006's.

__

holiday
02-29-2012, 3:55 PM
no i have not called s&w for the armorers manual...was hoping to find one via the web for free...or similar and less expensive. my last resort is a call into them, and if i do i will be sure to share the love lol.

the trigger could use improvement, but other then that it is a really nice looking pistol. i have not shot mine yet...trying to get the manual and replace some internal springs ordered from wolff.

jayhuh
02-29-2012, 6:51 PM
Nice find. If I recall, thats a Performance Center gun. What kind of improvement you lookin' for in the trigger department? If it was mine, I'd just leave it alone and shoot it.

Mr.Hipp
02-29-2012, 9:16 PM
some guy on youtube does a 4 part video on it. If you get too frustrated, and give up, and just want to be rid of the damn thing... let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE9ga-t0_yk

Sturnovik
03-01-2012, 9:11 AM
The trigger on mine is pretty good for a DA/SA pistol. If I remember correctly the Tactical (TSW) models wern't Performance series guns but got worked over a bit as if they were. I remember shooting a standard 4006 and the trigger felt a little heavier than my TSW. Whatever, these guns are nice shooters and its too bad S&W doesn't make them anymore unless your buying a thousand at a time for a big LE agency like the CHP.

OP, maybe I missed something but did you call S&W for a manual? I can't believe they don't have one to send you.

Yea they were so so with triggers IMO. Not horrible mind you, but not great. They werent a Beretta/Sig, it seemed like they added a pound and half to two pounds on the SA trigger and the DA was a pound or so heavier than normal 10/5 pound transitions. The magazine safety had something to do with that I'm sure. That said I never had issues. I only wish they still made them, but they only do for LE/Gov contracts and repairing, there pretty much all gone.

holiday
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice find. If I recall, thats a Performance Center gun. What kind of improvement you lookin' for in the trigger department? If it was mine, I'd just leave it alone and shoot it.

well i totally agree with you as far as leaving the gun alone...not looking to do anything but replace some of the internal springs. one other thing is that i like to be able to break down a gun beyond just a field strip...it really helps in understanding how the components of the pistol/gun work. and yes, it is pc gun.

i am one of those peeps that likes all things mechanical...and this gun is kinda different from my others. i have an mp which is pretty easy, a 1911 which is easy, and a few others that seem pretty straight forward....the 4006 seems to have more moving/working parts. i won't really know until i can get better reference material.

thanks for the vid mr hipp...i do get frustrated easy lol...i will let you know

Sturnovik
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd keep the trigger the same for the most part, its a reliable pistol. Polishing is one thing though, just as long as you know what your doing. I cant recall gen 3 smith internals very well, I know how they work just haven't detail stripped one let alone seen alot of into on it.

ck66
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Google search found these. Words only, but these might do it.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=16&t=37145
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-3532.html

There's this if the above isn't enough http://www.midwayusa.com/product/474459/american-gunsmithing-institute-agi-technical-manual-and-armorers-course-video-smith-and-wesson-auto-pistols-dvd

holiday
03-15-2012, 6:05 PM
thanks ck66....good stuff. i am probably going to order a book for the pics...just easier for me with pics...and this gun has a lot of parts.

i ordered a full set of springs for the entire gun from wolfe...so i have the parts now to start dialing it in if necessary. still have had no time to get it to the range and the trigger is somewhat gritty right now...i am hoping the new springs will help with that.

also, i have an email into s&w for an armorers manual...if i buy it and anyone is interested just shoot me a pm. i will post up when i have my hands on it or the book from midwayusa mentioned in the last post.

jmzhwells
03-15-2012, 7:22 PM
It's all pretty easy once you take the grip off. Get yourself a punch, plastic block and a small hammer, you will have to punch a few pins out. A pipe cleaner will hold the two small spings on the top pretty well (ejector and mag safety). Remember the order of everything. the three detents on top can get a lil tricky. If you have specific questions you can PM me, I have taken a few apart. BTW dont punch out the sear spring.

Ponderosa2
03-15-2012, 9:34 PM
S&W 4006 was my first pistol I ever bought! That was 15 years ago. I still have it although it doesn't see the world outside the safe much anymore. Reading this thread makes me want to dust her off and take her to the range. OP, good choice by the way, I'll always have a soft spot for the 4006.