PDA

View Full Version : Shooting after Shoulder Surgery

BlK Lantern
02-26-2012, 1:08 PM
ALCON:

I had shoulder surgery surgery a few weeks ago and already missing the range. I can't yet seem to lift any long guns which is my favorite without unbearable pain; I tried switching to the hand & it just wasn't the same as I am right eye dominant. I just like to know if anyone out there went through the same thing & how long was it for you were able to return to the range?

dieselpower
02-26-2012, 1:18 PM
deja vu... I have read this thread before...

as I remember it ended with... do what the doctor said.. its not worth it.

ZNinerFan
02-26-2012, 1:34 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery in February 2011. After 6 months I had full mobility back for the most part but still had swelling and pain when I went to the range.

First 2 months post surgery, arm in sling little mobility.

2-4 months increased mobility but still problems with range of motion.

4-6 months increase in range of motion and some shoulder strength. (Limited pistol shooting, bench rifle shooting).

6-9 months full range of motion regained more strength in shoulder. (Shooting limited by swelling in shoulder).

10-12 months fully recovered with occasional swelling in shoulder and shoulder fatigue.(Swelling gone by this point, more an issue of shoulder fatigue).

Not sure how bad your shoulder injury is but follow your doctors orders and don't push it trying to be a tough guy. My labrum was sheered in half and utterly destroyed. Took me a long time till I could do things without having my shoulder swell up.

As for shooting, I started shooting handguns again after 4 months. Surprisingly it was loading handgun magazines that hurt me the more than the actual shooting. That being said, after 100 rounds of 9mm my shoulder would swell up and it would be time to pack it up and go home.

I would suggest resting your shoulder and giving it time to heal. Go buy a .22 handgun and rifle and when you are able to comfortably raise your injured arm without a problem then focus on shooting .22's for a while and then as you recover move onto bigger calibers.

February 28th will make it 1 year post surgery for me and I can finally say that I am as close to being fully recovered as I can expect. I still have the occasional ache in the shoulder now and then but feel good for the most part.

Best of luck on your recovery.

dunndeal
02-26-2012, 1:46 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery in February 2011. After 6 months I had full mobility back for the most part but still had swelling and pain when I went to the range.

First 2 months post surgery, arm in sling little mobility.

2-4 months increased mobility but still problems with range of motion.

4-6 months increase in range of motion and some shoulder strength. (Limited pistol shooting, bench rifle shooting).

6-9 months full range of motion regained more strength in shoulder. (Shooting limited by swelling in shoulder).

10-12 months fully recovered with occasional swelling in shoulder and shoulder fatigue.(Swelling gone by this point, more an issue of shoulder fatigue).

Not sure how bad your shoulder injury is but follow your doctors orders and don't push it trying to be a tough guy. My labrum was sheered in half and utterly destroyed. Took me a long time till I could do things without having my shoulder swell up.

As for shooting, I started shooting handguns again after 4 months. Surprisingly it was loading handgun magazines that hurt me the more than the actual shooting. That being said, after 100 rounds of 9mm my shoulder would swell up and it would be time to pack it up and go home.

I would suggest resting your shoulder and giving it time to heal. Go buy a .22 handgun and rifle and when you are able to comfortably raise your injured arm without a problem then focus on shooting .22's for a while and then as you recover move onto bigger calibers.

February 28th will make it 1 year post surgery for me and I can finally say that I am as close to being fully recovered as I can expect. I still have the occasional ache in the shoulder now and then but feel good for the most part.

Best of luck on your recovery.

I had rotator cuff surgery also and my recovery was similar to the above. Don't press it, you might damage the surgical repair and find yourself starting all over again.

Chief-7700
02-26-2012, 2:14 PM
Rotator cuff surgery took me one year until I was able to shoot again. Don't push it!!!!!

BlK Lantern
02-26-2012, 4:32 PM
Think I'll invest in a good .22LR...

paul0660
02-26-2012, 4:45 PM
ZNinerFan what was the cause of your injury?

02-26-2012, 4:51 PM
I say take it easy till your 100% again!

PandaLuv
02-26-2012, 5:23 PM
Man, I'm not looking forward to my surgery :(

Chief-7700
02-26-2012, 5:31 PM
Think I'll invest in a good .22LR...

It's not the recoil that hurts!

Catman
02-26-2012, 5:32 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery about this time last year on my left shoulder. As has been stated previously it takes as much as a full year for recovery. Actually my surgeon told me it can take up to 2 years but then I am 66. My shoulder is still sore but I can live with it. Prior to the surgery I was icing it up all the time but it was not necessary after a few months post surgery. I am left handed but I shoot right handed as I am right eye dominant so I was able to continue shooting shortly after surgery. I did have trouble shooting prone however as that stretched the shoulder and caused pain.

If you do not have one I would recommend you purchase a recliner as it was painful sleeping for several weeks after surgery and I spent a lot of time sleeping in the recliner. I was under the knife for 2 1/2 hours but I do not remember a thing. I only had to wear a sling for a couple of weeks. My surgeon wanted me to quit using the sling as soon as possible. I was able to drive and do normal activities a couple of days after the surgery.

Good luck!

Chief-7700
02-26-2012, 5:34 PM
Man, I'm not looking forward to my surgery :(

What to live in pain? Then put your surgery off, your shoulder is got going to get better!
Chief

Chief-7700
02-26-2012, 5:39 PM
Some more tips for shoulder surgery:
Get you pain meds before surgery and DO NOT attempt to chase the pain take the meds.
Resealable jell ice packs are your best friend.
Don't even think that you are going to sleep in a bed, find a good chair.
Open cut surgery for showers use Glad Press N Seal on the stitches it sticks to skin.
Chief

BlK Lantern
02-26-2012, 5:42 PM
Pain is their no matter what I do... A few weeks ago I honestly couldn't hold up a small compact... And yes the swelling doesn't seem to go away...

Chief-7700
02-26-2012, 5:51 PM
Oxycod/apap 5-325 and Ice works well.

drifter001
02-26-2012, 6:02 PM
vicodin helped me when i broke my clavicle in november :D honestly bro go with what the doctor says...as much as it sucks its not worth messing it up even more

smle-man
02-26-2012, 6:37 PM
Not surgery but broken collarbone on my shooting side. After about 6 weeks I tried a 22 rifle. It hurt! I waited about 2 weeks and then tried some blue plastic .308 training rounds with no recoil. Just holding the rifle from the bench still hurt. The doc told me that when I could do 5 push ups in front of him I could go back to centerfire shooting. Took three months and still hurt. As others have said, don't push it.

ZNinerFan
02-27-2012, 5:57 AM
ZNinerFan what was the cause of your injury?

I dislocated my shoulder in the gym training for a competition. When the ball of the humerus was violently yanked out of the socket, it sheered the labrum in half. Technically I didn't have a "rotator cuff" injury but a severely torn labrum.

I used Percocet for my first 7 days or so post surgery and then the occasional over the counter NSAID's after that when needed. I didn't really start hurting again until I started doing physical therapy.

For those of you who need to get shoulder surgery done, better to get it over with so you can start the road to recovery. I am 30 years old and have been a weightlifter for half my life and I was out of commission for a year. I am still trying to lose the weight I gained from sitting around doing nothing while recovering.

Some other things to add:

You will probably get depressed a little for a month or two while recovering. The frustration from not being able to do things you normally do can be pretty overwhelming at times. I remember the first time I could shave with my right hand again was a happy day. Same with being able to drive using my right hand. Just remember that while you go through all of this, that it will get better eventually and you will get back to normal. It just takes time.

Decoligny
02-27-2012, 9:16 AM
I dislocated my shoulder in the gym training for a competition. When the ball of the humerus was violently yanked out of the socket, it sheered the labrum in half. Technically I didn't have a "rotator cuff" injury but a severely torn labrum.

I used Percocet for my first 7 days or so post surgery and then the occasional over the counter NSAID's after that when needed. I didn't really start hurting again until I started doing physical therapy.
For those of you who need to get shoulder surgery done, better to get it over with so you can start the road to recovery. I am 30 years old and have been a weightlifter for half my life and I was out of commission for a year. I am still trying to lose the weight I gained from sitting around doing nothing while recovering.

You will probably get depressed a little for a month or two while recovering. The frustration from not being able to do things you normally do can be pretty overwhelming at times. I remember the first time I could shave with my right hand again was a happy day. Same with being able to drive using my right hand. Just remember that while you go through all of this, that it will get better eventually and you will get back to normal. It just takes time.

PT, short for patient torture, is going to hurt like hell.

I confessed to not only shooting JFK, but Lincoln and MLK too.

I have what I consider a fairly high tolerance to pain, but my Terrorist, I mean Therapist, had me going to the point of tears.

The head of my humerus had slipped down a little, and my collar bone had grown 1/4" bone spurs on the end of it. When my humerus slipped back into place, the bone spurs were digging in like little knives.

They took 1/2" off the end of my collar bone. After about two months healing time, I found out that I had "frozen shoulder" due to scar tissue adhesions.

PT consisted of tearing loose the adhesions a little bit at a time and increasing range of motion and regaining strength in the shoulder. PT lasted about 6 months. It was another 4 months of self directed PT work at home until I was 100%.

So a year from surgery till 100% recovery.

CAL.BAR
02-27-2012, 9:25 AM
As a matter of fact, I can see your shoulder and raise you a second. I broke BOTH arms at the same time (while playing squash of all things) My right shoulder blade was shattered. It looked like a potato chip that had been stepped on. Fortunately for me, all the little pieces were connected so there was blood flow and thus no surgery necessary.

I also hit the wall with my left arm and broke my left radius in two places.

Talk about a bummer summer. NO ARMS! and obviously... NO SHOOTING.

Well, 30 days later I was out of the shoulder sling on the rt arm and had begun PT. 45 days and the left arm cast was off. 60 days out I was back at the gym and getting it all back. Push ups 60-70 days out.

First shooting trip (pistol only) at 90 days.

I waited just over 4 months to put a 12 ga. to the shoulder. No problems.

Still haven't played squash yet....but it's on the agenda.

duc748bip
02-27-2012, 9:39 AM
Shoot from the hip with a laser.. j/k
seriously if a .22 seems uncomfortable, my bet is to recover fully first.or some airsoft to get that trigger itch out.

Rivers
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
One discovery I made after my rotator cuff repair (late Sept 2011) is using a TENS unit. This sends electrical current into the soft tissue. Great pain reliever and NO DRUGS NEEDED. I bought this one (http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/Twin-Stim-2nd-Edition-TENS-and-EMS-Combo-Unit/6014763/product.html?rcmndsrc=2) from Overstock. Very satisfied and it's not just for the shoulder. Anyplace where it hurts (lower back, legs, etc.), a TENS unit can help. Runs on a 9V battery too so it's portable.

BTW, I'm five months since surgery. I had a 75% tear. No sling after 10-14 days, no vertical lifting for four months, normal light activity with arm lower than shoulder height. I have about 95% movement now but some shoulder fatigue and ache. Been pistol shooting for a couple months now. Even did 150 rounds from an LC9 in one session last month! .22 shooting is easy, it's holding the pistol with an extended arm that hurts. Good time to practice weak hand shooting. And yes, loading the mags is among the more painful tasks. Get an Uplula loader.

L84CABO
02-27-2012, 9:02 PM
Some more tips for shoulder surgery:
Get you pain meds before surgery and DO NOT attempt to chase the pain take the meds.
Resealable jell ice packs are your best friend.
Don't even think that you are going to sleep in a bed, find a good chair.
Open cut surgery for showers use Glad Press N Seal on the stitches it sticks to skin.
Chief

+1...5 shoulder surgeries and counting.

They make an electric pumping unit that cycles cold water through an ice chest to a sleeve that goes around your shoulder. If your insurance pays for it, get it. It's awesome.

Ask the docs to give you anti-nausea medicine while you're under. Getting sick on anesthesia sucks.

Ask your doc if he's going to give you a nerve block. This one is up to you. If you get it, you'll be unable to feel and move your arm for serveral hours after sugery. I pass on it. It's freaky not having any control over your arm. I would rather be in pain.

Ask your doc for either Vicodin or Percocet (stronger) in a 10/325 dose as opposed to 5/325. You'll thank me later (maybe). This give you more options. You can cut a 10 in half, take a single 10 or take up to two 10's if you need it. I made it through 3 of my surgeries without taking anything. Surgery #4 kicked my butt.

Ask for Tramadol/Ultracet as well. It's great for when you're back at work, still in some pain, but don't want to take the big stuff.

But with that said, pain kilers are incredibly addicting. Be smart with them.

Good luck.

PandaLuv
02-27-2012, 10:10 PM

I made an appointment for this friday :(

I lost all this way and I'm semi depressed already already, not looking forward to recovery.

ZNinerFan
02-28-2012, 8:53 AM
Panda are you going in for an exam, MRI, or surgery?

PandaLuv
02-28-2012, 9:00 AM
Panda are you going in for an exam, MRI, or surgery?

Exam, first appointment since the initial incident . I am going to MOAR in San Jose, someone told me that they are great and they are known for working on athletes.

ZNinerFan
02-28-2012, 9:17 AM
You could get lucky and just dinged your AC joint and not require any surgery.

PandaLuv
02-28-2012, 9:31 AM
You could get lucky and just dinged your AC joint and not require any surgery.

I don't think so, i dislocated my shoulder more than 10 times since the original dislocation. Last time, I hurt more than normal and I could t reduce the shoulder for like an hour.

Ornery Ol Bastard
02-28-2012, 9:44 AM
Geez...Separated my left 33 yrs ago and the right one followed soon after for some reason. Thankfully although I can "pop" them and have it heard around the room, I still have range of movement, mostly, unless it's really cold and damp.
- Don't think of surgery unless I can no longer move...
- It's hell getting old and beat up eh guys?

Lifeon2whls
02-28-2012, 9:56 AM
+1...5 shoulder surgeries and counting.

Geez I have had 4 shoulder surgeries and thought I was "special".

Only word of advice...do the PT and stick to it. When I stop doing mine is when my shoulder starts hurting and having issues.

r1ghtw1ng
02-28-2012, 3:29 PM
I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder (SLAP Type II tear), and am putting off surgery as long as I can bear the pain. Never a good time to go under the knife.

Chief-7700
02-28-2012, 3:59 PM
I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder (SLAP Type II tear), and am putting off surgery as long as I can bear the pain. Never a good time to go under the knife.

You can be sure of one thing it's only going to get worse.

PandaLuv
04-26-2012, 4:08 AM
Hey guys, thought id share my experience here. I had a stereoscopic surgery, just three poke holes. They pretty much snugged up my rotator cuff since my ligament was stretched, not torn.

It doesnt hurt as bad as I suspected, I'm ambidextrous, but my right hand is a shooting hand. I wonder how much time it would take me to use both hands again lol.

Thanks again, Z, for your input. I'd respOnd in the OT, but I don't like going there anymore.

Squid
04-26-2012, 6:54 AM
a vicious cycle of recurring injury.

Nay, you got to be OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE and avoid using shoulder while healing.

I would also recommend at least two visits to physical therapy, even if it costs you $250 cash. You will learn a ton of stuff in first two visits your doctor was too busy to tell you and you will be back in shape a month quicker.

PandaLuv
04-26-2012, 1:12 PM
Turns out that my back as front cartridges were torn. Ha! They shaved down the damaged tissue and put three hooks in the back and two hooks in the front to secure it. Doc said I have to see him every two weeks and wear the sling for 6 weeks.

Originally, they thought that it was just the back one, :/ my should let is all messed up. Finally got the surgery though.

mjsweims
04-26-2012, 5:13 PM
It took me about two months IIRC after my total shoulder replacement before I started shooting trap. I could only do one round the first time out. Also I used a towel to reduce imact on my shoulder.
I've had two rotator cuff surgeries on my off shoulder, and the only limitation seems to be how much I can raise my arm. Usually I just keep my elbow tucked in and use my forearm.

Rivers
04-26-2012, 6:23 PM
Turns out that my back as front cartridges were torn. Ha! They shaved down the damaged tissue and put three hooks in the back and two hooks in the front to secure it. Doc said I have to see him every two weeks and wear the sling for 6 weeks.

Originally, they thought that it was just the back one, :/ my should let is all messed up. Finally got the surgery though.

Hope you have a good recovery. Just don't rush things. Your shoulder will heal slower than you want so be conservative with your activities. When it's time, work your shoulder to recover the range of motion before you worry about strength. And check out a TENS unit for pain management. The last thing you want is an OXY addiction! Think of all the ammo you could buy instead!!! :)

unusedusername
04-26-2012, 7:41 PM
Do what the doc's say. They are the experts. That being said...

Rifles cross dominant eye can be hard. Handguns can be easily shot cross-dominant though as you can just move your left hand in front of your right eye.

Try learning to shoot a 22 handgun single handed with your other hand. It is quite challenging...

PandaLuv
04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Some really great advice here. Thanks a lot guys. I ordered that tens unit that rivers recommended. Tonight is the second night after the surgery and it hurts like heck lol

Its my left shoulder that's recovering, luckily i shoot with my right hand but I'm gonna hold off on shooting for a while.

Chief-7700
04-27-2012, 8:36 AM
Jelled Ice packs are your friend. For open cut surgery cover area with Glad Press n Seal they you can take a shower.

Rivers
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Some really great advice here. Thanks a lot guys. I ordered that tens unit that rivers recommended. Tonight is the second night after the surgery and it hurts like heck lol

Its my left shoulder that's recovering, luckily i shoot with my right hand but I'm gonna hold off on shooting for a while.

I didn't learn about the TENS unit until well past a month post-op. It took me all of about 15 minutes to figure out what mode worked best for my needs. Mostly trial and error. To oversimplify, since nerves transmit electrical signals (AKA pain) to the brain, the TENS introduces electricity to the confuse those pain signals. Kind of zero'ing out the equation. You can use a TENS for extended periods of time, even during regular activities like sitting at a desk or driving a car.

UBFRAGD
04-28-2012, 8:15 AM
I broke both shoulder blades, collerbones, and many ribs in a bad accident two years ago. It was a near-death experience, the ribs were poking into my lungs.

Anyway, it took forever to get back together. It took months of BABY STEPS.

So the story is, months later I went in for the umpteenth-set of x-rays, my ribs look like a plate of spaghetti, despite my best efforts, my shoulders drop a 45 from my neck, sad, I used to have nice broad shoulders. So I guess I'm kind of being a whining biyatch as the doc reviews my progress. It certainly was a difficult time for me. The doc says everything is going as planned and he's really happy with my progress. I can't remember what I asked him, it could have been about going rifle-shooting or using heavier weights at PT or whatever, but lightening quick, he reared back and
PUNCHED ME IN THE SHOULDER.
I almost fainted from the shock, but guess what, it didn't hurt that bad!! I shook his hand and left the facility a new MAN.

PandaLuv
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, is it weird that I don't feel any pain anymore? I didn't take any pills and as long as I don't move my arm, the pain is not there.

Is that normal?

Don the savage
04-29-2012, 10:28 AM

I'm right there with you brother. I have the exact same injury in my right. I just cant give up the year for recovery. Of course as I'm typing this my hand is going numb because I slept wrong last night. Good times.

PandaLuv
04-30-2012, 9:25 AM
I'm right there with you brother. I have the exact same injury in my right. I just cant give up the year for recovery. Of course as I'm typing this my hand is going numb because I slept wrong last night. Good times.

considering how bad the economy is, if you have a decent health care plan, get it fixed asap, within the next year and multiple dislocations, you will be kicking yourself for not getting it fixed.

Catman
05-03-2012, 6:05 PM
My Orthopedic Surgeon called last night and gave me some bad news. I had an MRI on my right shoulder last Friday and the results showed that the Rotator Cuff is torn and the tendon is completely detached. The surgery will require that I stay overnight in the hospital. Last year I had the left shoulder worked on as the tendons were torn and the bicep tendon was completely detached also. At least I know what I am in store for. I asked him how long it would be before I could shoot a rifle and he told me about 4 months.