PDA

View Full Version : LEO exempt from proof of residency?

Kodemonkey
02-26-2012, 9:02 AM
I assume that LEO does not need a proof of residency requirement? I ask because a couple of friends bought guns from a LEO shop and they both said they didn't need anything else besides a CDL and the HSC. I just bought a gun from them too and that's all I needed as well. I even offered and they said they didn't need it. The gun is still in jail but I am pretty sure that they aren't going to ask for it.

I am not an LEO. And they know it (or else they wouldn't be holding my gun for 10 days and swapping out the hi caps with neutered 10 rounders).

pdq_wizzard
02-26-2012, 9:08 AM
LEO's have to wait the 10 days also (unless they get a letter from a superior) My buddy just waits the 10 days, he said he could get the letter but it can be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.

as for proof of residency I think they need that also, I know some gun stores wait until you pick up the gun for proof.

Kodemonkey
02-26-2012, 9:25 AM
LEO's have to wait the 10 days also (unless they get a letter from a superior) My buddy just waits the 10 days, he said he could get the letter but it can be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.

as for proof of residency I think they need that also, I know some gun stores wait until you pick up the gun for proof.

Wow. I didn't know that about the 10 day wait. Talk about an effed up law.

Maybe they will ask for the proof when I pick up. I know other shops wait until you pick up to ask for it, but the friend that bought there swears he didn't get asked for it. I'll know next week.

They are real nice people and I don't want them getting in trouble with the DOJ. But I don't want to be "that guy" telling them they are doing it wrong either. That's why I'm asking - I want to be absolutely sure in case I decide to say something.

ke6guj
02-26-2012, 9:40 AM
11 CCR 4045

The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:

d. “Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice” means either of the following:

2. A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an active, reserve, or retired peace officer.

Bryan16
02-26-2012, 6:38 PM

Not a pain for me at all. I buy enough guns that I keep a copy of my department's exemption letter on a USB drive ready to go. I print it out at work and have a lieutenant sign it. I could see it being a nuisance if you asked a busy lieutenant or captain to type up an exemption letter from scratch, that's why you do the work for them and just ask for the signature ;)

RollingCode3
02-26-2012, 6:41 PM
They always ask for my 1. Driver license 2. Department ID. LEOs are exempt from the roster, hicap mag and 1 per 30 day rule.

JTROKS
02-26-2012, 7:25 PM
I don't get asked for a HSC nor proof of residency.