PDA

View Full Version : Who would you go shooting with???

jbush
02-26-2012, 1:28 AM
The question came up in one of the other forums, about what age a child could be taught to shoot a 22. It can down to maturity of the child, ability to focus and take instruction and follow them. Then I got thinking, I know adults who shoot that don't meet those requirements.

I'm pretty selective who I go shooting with anymore. I have friends and people at work who are extremely responsible, shoot in competitions and my kids grew up having gun saftey pounded into their heads. No problems shooting with these people.

Then I got thinking about the ones I won't go with and how I decided this.

Example 1: My neighbor, plinks with a 22 in the hills and is always telling me that people leave unbroken clays out there. So he walks them out about 150 yds and shoots away at the clays. He has a Marlin 795 with iron sights shooting the cheapest bulk ammo he can get. 150 yds??????? Reality?????

Next: The guy at work who talks about his collection of home defense weapons and goes to the desert maybe once a year to shoot them? He also told me he learned to shoot with a 22. According to him, he would stand on a hilltop and his dad would set up cans on the next hilltop about 200 yds away. 22 rifle, iron sights, 200 yds.??????

#3: the guy at work who has a preban AR and goes to the desert twice a year and shoots up all the cans and bottles he can with 500 rounds in about 3 or 4 hrs. He also strikes me as the guy that when the ammos gone, he's done and all his cans, bottles, and empty casings stay in the desert, then complains that they keep closing down shooting areas.

How do you decide???????????????????????????????????????????? ???

chim-chim7
02-27-2012, 12:40 AM
My father started me with a Ruger 10/22 at the age of 6. That was 1981. To this day I still have never had a ND, and I still shoot twice a week. It's all about starting kids young and teaching them the importance of gun safety. My Father was a sharp shooter in the military, so lessons were strict.

Also, who says you need to go shooting with someone. I rarely shoot with others any more. It's fun shooting with friends, but I don't ever feel the need to shoot with someone else. It's my hobby, I enjoy it without anyone else around. Nothing makes me happier then finding my shooting spot, setting up and being the only person out there. It's the most comfortable feeling you can experiance shooting.

johnthomas
02-27-2012, 1:16 AM
I go mostly to two public ranges. I went today by myself for the first time in a few years, didn't like it at all. I only went for a short time just to check out repairs I made on two weapons. My shooting partner is my son. There are a lot of idiots at public ranges so I want someone that has my back, he knows I have his. He has been shooting since he was about 9. He started with a single shot 22 rifle and Mossberg military trainer 22 rifle. He owns lots of different caliber handguns and rifles. You gotta go with someone you trust.

alfred1222
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
For me it depends. i was raised to respect and understand guns, and when i started shooting, i already had 4 years of experience in handleing, cleaning, and fixing my dads guns. As to who i go shooting with, i usually go alone. the only time im with people is when i go out to open land.

A-J
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Only go with someone you trust. As I said in one of my first posts on this board - I know people that are "into guns" that I would never want to be around while they're just holding a gun, let alone a loaded one. I've seen way too many yahoos at the range just "forget" that they are holding an instrument of death in their hands.

duggan
02-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Alone or with family for me, I have met people at the range that seemed like great people and have exchanged numbers but I rarely plan anything ahead of time and will just pick up and go shooting. Most guys my age are married and don't have the freedom to come and go when they want (don't even try and say you married guys wear the pants, I was married and I wore the pants, and now I'm not married because of it lol).

l0rdr0ck
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I first shot a real firearm at age 4 with a lever action 357. It was in Idaho mid-April with my Dad and his crazy Bushcrafter friend (guy told me there was a dragon in the basement, when the furnace kicked over and made noises it was him breathing, In hindsite he probably didnt want me to see his gun hoardings in the basement.

JamesY
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't understand why you think it's hard to shoot a 22 with iron sights out to 200yds... you should try it sometimes. It's pretty fun.

Snapping Twig
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I started my daughter with a .22 pellet rifle, then a .22 pistol.

When she turned 16, I had her go through a Gunsite course.

She's not a shooter, but she remembers and puts them where they need to go. When I took her and her boyfriend (never shot before) to the range recently at their request, I started them with a .22 pistol, moved up to .38Spl, then .357 mid range magnums and finally a .45acp.

For extra credit, I had some high velocity home brewed 170g SWC for the .357 and fired off a few and invited them to try them if they'd like.

Her boyfriend jumped at the opportunity! I do so love to see that involuntary smile when a new shooter does well and does so with magnums.

He's a good shot truth be told. I complimented him and he's anxious to do it again.

All my rounds are home cast and loaded.

Next time, we'll bring the 44's. :)

CBlacksheep
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll shoot with anyone who would respect my property as they would their own. That, and I never shoot with people who don't at least offer to chip in a little with some fees, lunch, or gas. Can't stand cheapskates.

Shellshocker66
02-27-2012, 1:19 PM
My father started me with a Ruger 10/22 at the age of 6. That was 1981. To this day I still have never had a ND, and I still shoot twice a week. It's all about starting kids young and teaching them the importance of gun safety. My Father was a sharp shooter in the military, so lessons were strict.

Also, who says you need to go shooting with someone. I rarely shoot with others any more. It's fun shooting with friends, but I don't ever feel the need to shoot with someone else. It's my hobby, I enjoy it without anyone else around. Nothing makes me happier then finding my shooting spot, setting up and being the only person out there. It's the most comfortable feeling you can experiance shooting.

I agree with chim-chim. I started very young, and over 4 decades I've never even had a close call with weapons.

When I go out with people I don't know, I always ask shooting experience. I love it when they have none! Those that brag a lot, I keep my eye on and if I even see a muzzle coming my direction, I start doing the funky chicken dunking dance and they get the hint really quick (usually because I'm yelling at the same time).

Remember when doing anything that involves flying projectiles, you need to be as aware of your surroundings and what is going on as they do. Even when I go to the range, I'm watching to see who has good practices and who doesn't.

DrunkN_MastR
02-28-2012, 7:12 PM
I never shoot with people who don't at least offer to chip in a little with some fees, lunch, or gas. Can't stand cheapskates.

Amen to that - don't need freeloaders shooting my 308 like it was dispensing candy! Here, have fun with this 22.... I still expect $20 though :D

wjc
02-28-2012, 9:51 PM

The other two strike me as poser that really don't shoot for the fun of it but to prove something.

btw, I learned to shoot at 10-11.

chrisf
02-29-2012, 1:06 AM
hmmm #2 lol... No I probably would just go with whichever one makes me feel more comfortable. You also have to take in account that they maybe embellishing their stories just to seem like a better shot. I won't lie I've done it before. Just not as unbelievable or ignorant.

enzo357
02-29-2012, 5:48 AM
I usually practice by myself. Fortunately have developed shooting buddys that are willing to carpool to competitions. We use facebook as a way to coordinate times. Last Sunday six of us met for a practice that turned into six stages of steel competition. Had a blast.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2012, 2:11 AM
I almost always go alone. I don't care to be the guy that brought all the cool guns and expensive while everybody else brought their uninteresting, cheap crap. Nor do I like spending hours cleaning my weapons by myself after everyone else has gone home.

Shooting is fun.
Watching other people shoot, not so much.