PDA

View Full Version : Which brand makes a solid AR-15

mbaerg
02-26-2012, 1:05 AM
Looking for a good one, and not something too too pricey

tehbigjoe
02-26-2012, 1:21 AM
sadly from what i've found out is its really hard to find a "CA LEGAL" AR thats really good, I had a COLT AR before im oved to ca and had to bail the lower because it was illegal, What i did is i kept the upper and the insides to the COLT and threw it in a DEFCON "MULTI" Ar Lower, notice how it says multi, its not specific to caliber so hopefully ca cant right that one off too, basically what i did was i bought a lower and threw the colt inners in it, i think you might be able to order them online. You will have to wait 10 days ti pick up the lower piece for some odd reason. in short

Buy empty AR lower, DONOT GET JUNKY PLASTIC
Buy colt AR lower insides
Install into CA LEGAL lower
slap that on a colt upper
and u basically got a nice colt thats ca legal

i may be wrong, maybe colt inners are banned too, idk but how are they going to know if its colt inners or not.

The gun is happy with any ammo i throw in it, consistant. No jams, No nothing. just clean ol firing, a little clutzy starting off but AR's are prime when they are heated up.

Dont know if info helped but gives you a little idea.

STAY AWAY FROM PLASTIC CRAP ITS JUNK

Infact, I had recently had one nowfunction and it had shot a bullet clean threw my shooting table, which is why i went ahead and spent extra money on upgrading my ar's, stay away from plastics. its bad stuff, rather spend extra money to keep things safe. and no i did not hit the trigger.

Arkangel
02-26-2012, 1:24 AM
Loaded question.. there is a thread in the centerfire section on AR tiers.
Let just say lots of people have lots of different opinions.

Easy way to narrow it down:

-Look at what you want to do with the rifle. (hunt, plink, HD/SD)

-What caliber you want to shoot

-What your budget is.

Honestly for 90% of people most off the shelf AR's will do fine.

Tanner68
02-26-2012, 6:24 PM
sadly from what i've found out is its really hard to find a "CA LEGAL" AR thats really good, I had a COLT AR before im oved to ca and had to bail the lower because it was illegal, What i did is i kept the upper and the insides to the COLT and threw it in a DEFCON "MULTI" Ar Lower, notice how it says multi, its not specific to caliber so hopefully ca cant right that one off too, basically what i did was i bought a lower and threw the colt inners in it, i think you might be able to order them online. You will have to wait 10 days ti pick up the lower piece for some odd reason. in short

i may be wrong, maybe colt inners are banned too, idk but how are they going to know if its colt inners or not.

The gun is happy with any ammo i throw in it, consistant. No jams, No nothing. just clean ol firing, a little clutzy starting off but AR's are prime when they are heated up.

Infact, I had recently had one nowfunction and it had shot a bullet clean threw my shooting table, which is why i went ahead and spent extra money on upgrading my ar's, stay away from plastics. its bad stuff, rather spend extra money to keep things safe. and no i did not hit the trigger.

i helped my uncle jack off a horse

Mickey D
02-26-2012, 6:26 PM
i helped my uncle jack off a horse

Proper names should be capitalized. ;)

LikeAllGuns
02-26-2012, 6:35 PM
Spikes Tactical.. You can't beat the quality for the price.... You get a colt at a spikes price.. Research all you want I did before I bought one and boy am I happy... Not one malfunction only about 2500 rounds through it so far.

killmime1234
02-26-2012, 7:24 PM
If you like supporting local business, Franklin Armory is based in CA. They're right in my backyard in Morgan Hill. They do make a good AR-15.

Their Lower receivers have a special screw that tensions the upper to the lower so you don't get chatter.

All their rifles come standard with an upgraded trigger.

Their barrels are Salt Bath Nitride instead of Chrome Lined which means they are 20x more corrosion resistant (if I'm remembering the figure correctly) and their more accurate because the coating is more even than chroming.

I would definitely recommend them.

Ponderosa2
02-26-2012, 7:53 PM
Can't go wrong with a Daniel Defense.

StratORcaster
02-26-2012, 7:59 PM
I have a stag and really like it. I should have bought something more expensive though. :D

G60
02-26-2012, 8:41 PM
BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, LaRue.

dieselpower
02-27-2012, 7:03 PM

LOL...

Smith &Wesson
Riflegear
BCM
DD
CMMG
Stag
Spikes
LaRue
Wilson Combat
JP
NFA
Mega

All OUTSTANDING ARs. Some of the ones listed have qualities that are designed for civilian uses that surpass what Colt has.

Zartan
02-28-2012, 6:07 AM
Check the S&W thread in my siggy. $725 out the door. Frikkin love the thing!

NotEnufGarage
02-28-2012, 8:31 AM
AR's are becoming pretty much "commodity" grade guns. Not much difference between one lower and another. Big differences in uppers when you have more choices in barrel length, twist, caliber, bolt, etc.

bloodhawke83
02-28-2012, 9:03 AM
I build 2 spikes ar-15's, both solid.

Akers
02-28-2012, 9:04 AM
You might as well ask "what do you own?" because that is all your going to get.

TNP'R
02-28-2012, 9:05 AM
I own a Bushmaster which has been flawless despite what internet commandos say.

xrMike
02-28-2012, 9:19 AM
You might as well ask "what do you own?" because that is all your going to get.:D So true, heheh.

RMTactical
02-28-2012, 4:07 PM
If I were looking to get the best bang for the buck I would look at Spikes.

mbaerg
02-28-2012, 9:45 PM
thanks for the advice.. Im going to take all of these into consideration.

Seesm
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
I build all mine off 80% lowers

tradecraft
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM

que

dieselpower
02-29-2012, 5:13 AM
que

yeah, we all know...:facepalm:

cannon
02-29-2012, 7:33 AM
I'm a Colt rifle, pistol & revolver fanboy. Of course I got a Colt.

If I were not a Colt fanboy I probably would have got a Smith & Wesson. I think they are great value in quality for the price.

In the end though almost any AR that is not a total bottom feeder will give you great service for plinking and range use.

maxima
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
LOL...

Smith &Wesson
Riflegear
BCM
DD
CMMG
Stag
Spikes
LaRue
Wilson Combat
JP
NFA
Mega

All OUTSTANDING ARs. Some of the ones listed have qualities that are designed for civilian uses that surpass what Colt has.

Can't agree more. Just want add a few more to the list:
Armalite
RRA
Bushmaster
PSA
Del-Ton

Maybe the OP should ask this question instead:
What brand of AR or AR parts vendor we should avoid?

soopafly
02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
que
yeah, we all know...:facepalm:

When I want to get a clear and concise point across, I have found that the "stream of consciousness" writing style to be the most effective. I then throw in some spelling errors...just to spice things up a bit. :thumbsup:

soopafly
02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Which brand makes a solid AR-15

RED JACKET
It's a game changer that's neva bin dun befoe.
:hide:

tools2teach
03-01-2012, 8:45 AM
LOL...

Smith &Wesson
Riflegear
BCM
DD
CMMG
Stag
Spikes
LaRue
Wilson Combat
JP
NFA
Mega

Pretty much anything not made in China....:)

Nodaedul
03-01-2012, 5:53 PM
Something wrong with Noveske? Didn't see them mentioned anywhere.

stix213
03-01-2012, 6:27 PM
Something wrong with Noveske? Didn't see them mentioned anywhere.

OP said not too pricey ;)

resident-shooter
03-01-2012, 8:50 PM
DPMS all day

bruceflinch
03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Loaded question.. there is a thread in the centerfire section on AR tiers.
Let just say lots of people have lots of different opinions.

Easy way to narrow it down:

-Look at what you want to do with the rifle. (hunt, plink, HD/SD)

-What caliber you want to shoot

-What your budget is.

Honestly for 90% of people most off the shelf AR's will do fine.

True but at 30% more than buying the parts & doing the assembly yourself & getting something more custom. ;)