PDA

View Full Version : AR15 style rifle on-list / off-list question

QVA
02-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Question about off list - on list, re: Olympic Arms custom manufactured a lower receiver for Blue Star Arms Model XR15 rifles. Blue Star Arms was a FFL gun shop in business mid 80'S through late 90's located in Newhall, Santa Clarita, California. BSA held a FFL license to manufacture the XR series with BSA serial numbers.

Blue Star Arms produced a number of AR style rifles in the 80's. They were engraved on the left magazine flat area of the receiver "BLUE STAR ARMS XR15", Cal. 5.56 and a Blue Star Arms serial number, B___ (4 digits).

Olympic's name, city and state are also engraved on the receiver above the safety-fire selector with NO MODEL or SERIAL NUMBER.

Approximately 100 rifles were built and individually tuned by Jon Bart and Bob Tolce (owners of BSA). Some models were match grade 20" and 24" barrels that scored well at Camp Pendleton competitions. The majority of units sold were XR15 16" barrel carbines with non adjustable stocks. All were designated as "XR15".

Is this considered an off-list lower receiver that can be updated with a "bullet button" and 10 round magazine for legal possession in California?

Thank you in advance for any accurate input.

Chaos47
02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I may be wrong but the list is model dependent. (That's why we now have an off list Colt because its a new non listed model)

Your model is XR15 by BLUE STAR ARMS.
Even if it was machined by Olympic.

IMO its good to go with a magazine lock and 10 rnd.
Or you could go featureless...

Quiet
02-25-2012, 11:13 PM
It's off list.

(make) Blue Star Arms (model) XR15 is not listed.
(make) Olympic Arms (model) XR15 is not listed.

Ergo, it's off-list.

QVA
02-26-2012, 8:12 AM
Good morning gentlemen. I sure do hope that is correct. Between this hot cup of fresh brewed java on my desk and reading your two posts, that made my morning!

It would be a whole hell of a lot easier to sort out and digest all the quirks of the California style of "safety first" gun laws if they made some sense. LMAO! Pure politics and nothing else, we're obviously addicted to the weather and ocean here.

Thanks for the replies. I'll visit NC Firearms, install a "bullet button" and put the pistol grip back on the rifle. The rifle has sat in a safe for over 20 years, a genuine "safe queen".

Chaos, curious, when you say "featureless", what do you mean?

Have a good weekend.

dieselpower
02-26-2012, 8:47 AM
Here is the actual list as offered by the Attorney general Website...
If its NOT on this list, its "Off List" and a regular rifle. make and model must match exactly....

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf?

This is a new link... the AG is changing things around on their website.

The AG refuses to remove the AW Identification guide even though its WRONG. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide

The makes and models provided in this guide include those which the Department of Justice was able to
locate prior to printing this booklet. It is probable that some series weapons in circulation are unknown to
the Department of Justice. If you encounter a suspected series weapon that is not specifically named in this
booklet, please contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon.
Additional assault weapon models as they are identified will be included in future versions of this guide and
will be posted on the Firearms Division website at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/.

This is wrong in a small way. Sure they can call all the want, but no one there is going to say an un-named AR or AK is now an AW. They can't. The list was locked in 2007 and no more can be added. Other than that, I think the guide is correct.

Chaos47
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Good morning gentlemen. I sure do hope that is correct. Between this hot cup of fresh brewed java on my desk and reading your two posts, that made my morning!

It would be a whole hell of a lot easier to sort out and digest all the quirks of the California style of "safety first" gun laws if they made some sense. LMAO! Pure politics and nothing else, we're obviously addicted to the weather and ocean here.

Thanks for the replies. I'll visit NC Firearms, install a "bullet button" and put the pistol grip back on the rifle. The rifle has sat in a safe for over 20 years, a genuine "safe queen".

Chaos, curious, when you say "featureless", what do you mean?

Have a good weekend.

Featureless means that you don't have any of the listed evil features.

Currently we have 2 work arounds to the law's:

Magazine locked rifles that can only hold magazines up 10 ten but have evil features.

Featureless which do not have any features but have detachable magazines and the ability to use legally possessed "regular" (High) capacity magazines.

Penal Code 12276.1.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

So According to Penal Code 12276.1. (a)
A Featureless Rifle Can Not Have:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

It sounds like in a way you made your rifle featureless when you stored it by taking the pistol grip off. Now adays there are solutions to the no pistol grip.
They come in the form of Grip wraps, MonsterMan grips and Hammer head grips.

If you legally posses regular capacity magazines in California then I would look into featureless.

See my guide here to see many muzzle brakes, non-pistol grip solutions and fixed stock options:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU

Heres a great photo of a nice Featureless build by Bobby Ricigliano
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=134947&d=1329110198

Photo stolen from here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=535077

He is using:
A "pinned" stock to make it fixed.
Solar Tactical Kydex grip wrap
YHM 5M1 (or 5m2) Muzzle brake

Let me know if you have any more questions

QVA
02-26-2012, 1:15 PM
That pretty much answers my question and I thank you guys.

I'm a KISS type of guy who likes "keeping it simple". The above is a good looking rifle, but the attached component at the pistol grip looks wrong, it obviously doesn't belong there. It reminds me of when we have to put a muzzle on our 130 lb. black Lab when a stranger comes to visit, he changes personality with it on. Sad! Bounces right back when you take it off. LOL.

I will most likely leave the rifle as-is with fixed length A2 stock, change the mag release button, upgrade the foregrip to a Magpul, that's it. It has a Mil Brake muzzle brake on it, that will stay vs. putting a flash hider on it.

Never had any of these issues with collecting and shooting precision German and English airguns and Pre Charged Pneumatic rifles. We're very fortunate living four homes in the middle of 20 acres here at the northern tip of San Diego County. High FPE Airguns and ,22 rimfire shooting are common place here, especially in the groves. 5.56 crosses the line with SPL noise levels being considerate to a good bunch of neighbors.

Do appreciate all the quick input from the group on here. I'll post a few photos when I have time to shoot them.

QVA

Chaos47
02-26-2012, 2:32 PM
If you have a fixed A2 stock and a muzzle brake then you are pretty much 75 % set up for featureless. That's if you can get over the no pistol grip thing

QVA
02-26-2012, 4:48 PM
Chaos, the pistol grip is going back on the rifle as soon as the "bullet button" is installed. It will be a fixed stock (A2), Mil Brake muzzle brake, standard pistol grip, "bullet button" Blue Star Arms 16" barrel XR15.

Wife and I just got back from seeing Act of Valor. Worth seeing. Odds are very good if you're on here, you'll leave grateful and fired up as a patriot, young or old, Karen and I were proud to recognize a couple of names at the end.

Again, worth the watch, take notes.