PDA

View Full Version : If only there were no longer a roster in CA...

dantodd
02-25-2012, 6:32 PM
I would buy this gun. It has very special significance to the 2A battle in CA.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274841062

wilit
02-25-2012, 6:37 PM
Uh... The seller is in South SF and it says in the ad "***This pistol is Califiornia Legal***"

FXR
02-25-2012, 6:52 PM
What's the significance?

dantodd
02-25-2012, 7:07 PM
I think it was a typo, the .38 derringer dropped off the roster back in 2003.

These types of inexpensive guns were part of the impetus for the roster. The politicians figured if they could disarm the poor people of color they would stop the violence. Davis was one of the "Ring of Fire" gun makers and the state's attack on these gun makers inspired Davis' son to become a lawyer and now Jason is one of CA's most respected firearms lawyers.

SilverTauron
02-25-2012, 7:09 PM
Is there an 'expiration' date to the roster?

Meaning if a California resident saw a semi-auto pistol made in 1984 and its not on the roster, is it possible to order without doing the SSE process?

dantodd
02-25-2012, 7:13 PM

Meaning if a California resident saw a semi-auto pistol made in 1984 and its not on the roster, is it possible to order without doing the SSE process?

Yes, there is an expiration. If the manufacturer fails to pay the state for the privilege of selling the gun in CA the gun somehow becomes "unsafe."

mag360
02-25-2012, 7:57 PM
fails to keep paying their extortion, they should be brought to court for racketeering charges.

Librarian
02-25-2012, 8:20 PM

As a counterpoint to Dan's accurate answer, for one meaning, no - handguns do not 'age out' until they become C&R - PC 32110 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/32110.html)(g).

Thus older handguns will not be added to the Roster; semi-automatics need the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator; a 1980's model from almost any manufacturer would not have both of those, and manufacturers generally prefer to sell their current models, so the effort and expense to provide the testing copies and pay the lab fees for older models would not often be a reasonable investment.

jmzhwells
02-25-2012, 8:35 PM
I cant believe they said 70%, that thing looks like crap.

FXR
02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Interesting, I didn't pick up the Davis Firearms / Jason Davis connection. On a side note, if one were to SSE this, would both barrels need to be 6+ inches, or just one?
Brain fart... single shot exemption... but one could plug (squib?) one barrel and throw a 5" muzzle brake on the other!

ColdDeadHands1
02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
dantodd, if you want this gun go get it! It is 10 miles away from you and currently bidding at $52!!! No need to be on the roster when performing a PPT FTF.

Here is the store where it is at. You can probably walk in there tomorrow and buy it. Forget about the auction!

http://southcitypawn.com/index.html

Connor P Price
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
dantodd, if you want this gun go get it! It is 10 miles away from you and currently bidding at $52!!! No need to be on the roster when performing a PPT FTF.

Here is the store where it is at. You can probably walk in there tomorrow and buy it. Forget about the auction!

I've never bought from a pawn shop, but generally everything is on consignment right? If so ColdDeadHands is spot on with this one I think. A consignment firearm is a PPT and therefore roster exempt if you make the drive out there. You just can't have it shipped to a closer FFL.

Are we missing something?

ColdDeadHands1
02-26-2012, 12:24 AM
You just can't have it shipped to a closer FFL.

Are we missing something?

Closer? He is in San Carlos and the gun is in SSF. For us NorCal folks, that's about 14 miles!

GOEX FFF
02-26-2012, 12:47 AM

Well, not really. The thing we are missing is -

GunBroker.com Help Center

Can I End an Auction Early?

Ending an auction early is not a good idea since many bidders wait until the last minute to place a bid.

A seller can only end an auction early if:

1. there is not a bid on the item
2. the highest bid does not meet the Reserve Price (if applicable)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1098

By the seller using GB, they are obligated to honor those bids that are already placed on the auction. The auction is basic with no reserve and has bids already. Sure, they could cancel the bids they have already received, but they would be risking a Neg feedback and violating the rules of GB's TOS and the chances of them doing so and taking that risk are pretty slim. Right on their logo on their website says "Honesty - Value - Integrity" :)
Since it has bids already, chances are also likely that it's been pulled and not even out exposed for sale in their shop

That being said, I too feel Connor may be right on. This derringer could be on consignment for a PPT, being they are a pawnshop and as to why it's CA ok.

Dan, call/email the shop and ask them if it would be a PPT.
If so, bid away and good luck!!

dantodd
02-26-2012, 5:52 AM
I know the shop well. It isn't a consignment gun unfortunately so no joy for me. I think it was actually a pawned or purchased item. Yes, it is in rough shape, I would use it as a learning tool and refinish it myself.

12voltguy
02-26-2012, 9:19 PM
I got one
couldn't hit my ccw target at all
bullets tumble, 20+ lb trigger
not worth trying to sell
I paid like $135 + $35 dros $35 fee from dealer for it being shipped in from gb auction
$20 shipping
$225ish
used can't be worth but $100, so I guess it's a pos keeper

hoffmang
02-26-2012, 9:37 PM
Shops that take a non rostered handgun into FFL inventory can't then sell those firearms PPT and are thus stuck selling the firearm out of state or to a LEO.

-Gene