PDA

View Full Version : Q: Can I give AR15 lower to pal?

El_Kabong
02-25-2012, 4:39 PM
Hi,

I plan to order two AR15 lowers on sale and give one to a pal in Merced as a gift. Since they will be reg'ed to me first can I do this legally and how?

Thanks folks!

Matthew D.

Ron-Solo
02-25-2012, 4:58 PM
Yes, but you will need to make that transfer via the PPT (private persons transfer) via and FFL of your choosing. The fee for the transfer is $35 and you will both have to be present to begin the process, and he will have to return after the 10 day wait to finish the process.

At this time, long guns (and long gun lowers) are not technically "registered" to anyone, unless you submit a "voluntary registration" form to California DOJ.

kemasa
02-25-2012, 5:17 PM
Since you are ordering them, it would most likely be cheaper to just transfer one to yourself and have the other one transferred to your friend. Unless the FFL does not charge extra for the second firearm, you would have to pay for that transfer and then an additional $35 to do the PPT to your friend. You would also have to wait until you picked up the lower, then it would be held another 10 days for the PPT.

In CA, almost all firearm transfers have to go through a FFL, so you can't just give it to him.

trugemini6382
03-06-2012, 9:51 PM
yes youu can since long guns are not registered to any ones name. the reason you wait 10 days from a ffl is your felony backround check .not registered. so basically your lowers do not have your name or anyones eles name under it. so whos to say you cant give it to your buddy if its not registered then how can it be tracked back to you in the first place..?

speeedracerr
03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
yes youu can since long guns are not registered to any ones name. the reason you wait 10 days from a ffl is your felony backround check .not registered. so basically your lowers do not have your name or anyones eles name under it. so whos to say you cant give it to your buddy if its not registered then how can it be tracked back to you in the first place..?

Although "long arms" are technically not registered by make/model/serial/caliber to CA DOJ, there is still a paper trail via 4473 by the FFL.

Just not sure how long they keep those 4473 forms on file though ???

At least thats what I recall having worked at a gun store many years ago.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Just not sure how long they keep those 4473 forms on file though ???

FFLs have to keep 4473s for 20 years. If they go out of business then they have to ship any 4473s they have to ATF.