PDA

View Full Version : second proof of residence

Krill
02-25-2012, 2:56 PM
Is there an official list of all the documents that can be used as second proof of residence for the purchase of handguns, or is up to dealers to interpret? I was hoping to use a jury summons which has; 1 current date, 2 my name, 3 my current address, AND 4 the official seal of California, but I've been told that despite the fact this has everything needed, it cannot be used. Is there an official list and can it be posted?

Librarian
02-25-2012, 3:05 PM
It's just one proof of residence; the other, usually your DL, is proof of identity.

See the California Code of Regulations - westlaw has it http://government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?SP=CCR-1000, click on title 11, division 5, chapter 4

Sorry - direct link doesn't work - 11 CCR 4045 11 CCR § 4045

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 11, § 4045

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 11. Law
Division 5. Firearms Regulations
Full text of all sections at this level Chapter 4. Evidence of Residency Documentation
Current selection§ 4045. Definitions and Requirements.

The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:

a.1. “Utility bill” means a statement of charges for providing direct service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection), or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

2. The utility bill statement date must be within three months of the current date.

3. The utility bill must bear on its face the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.

B. The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

b.1. “Residential lease” means either of the following:

A. A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time.

B. A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.

2. The residential lease must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the DROS form.

B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

c.1. “Property deed” means either of the following:

A. A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust.

B. A valid Certificate of Title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.

2. The property deed must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

d. “Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice” means either of the following:

1. A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

2. A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an active, reserve, or retired peace officer.

Note: Authority cited: Section 26845, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 26845 and 27550, Penal Code.

mincoda
02-25-2012, 7:39 PM
Most of us drive to our favorite gun shop. So bring in your drivers license and the DMV renewal in your car and you are good to go.

Krill
02-25-2012, 8:15 PM
thank you

Capt_Communist
02-26-2012, 8:46 AM
Just ask your local shop... sometimes things work in one and not in the other, which can be frustrating to say the least.

mchava
02-26-2012, 9:08 AM
What Capt Communist said. I had an issue with two shops that would not take the same utility bill i used on another GS. So just ask and see if it works for them. Remember they have control of your gun till everything is done correctly.

VL221
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a friend that still lives with his parent.

He has 1 form of identification but he needs another. His parents is currently renting a house. Could he just get the rental agreement form and have his parents sign the form? Or does the owner of the house have to sign it?

sephy
02-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I have a friend that still lives with his parent.

He has 1 form of identification but he needs another. His parents is currently renting a house. Could he just get the rental agreement form and have his parents sign the form? Or does the owner of the house have to sign it?

Rental agreement / lease will be fine. Something that says "____ lives at ____ and pays ____ a month" with the date and signatures.

Here is an example, though much more elaborate than it needs to be. The ones I have seen at gun shops (River City for example) are one page.
http://www.masshousinginfo.org/resources/download/landlord/property_management/Lease%20form.pdf?item_id=98098

Another example:
http://departments.oxy.edu/orgl/OffCampus/Sample%20Rental%20Agreement.pdf#search='sample%20r ental%20agreement'