PDA

View Full Version : When does 10-day jail time start?

Irish Gunner
02-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a potential issue that I can't quite get my head around. I don't like or trust my LGS. I have found a store that can order the M&P15T that I want. If I go to store and pay for it, does my 10-day wait start there or does DROS require information that won't be available until FFL has the rifle.

If that is the case I may be better calling in a deposit and making first drive to DROS it. It is just far enough that I don't want to make multiple trips if I can avoid it. Hope that is clear, your best advice to proceed is appreciated.

tenpercentfirearms
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
DROS starts when the dealer running your background check starts it.

Ask your FFL when they are going to start you and more importantly when your ten days are up. It is up to their discretion when they start.

kemasa
02-25-2012, 1:09 PM
To be specific, the time starts when the DROS is submitted, so you need to ask the FFL as said above. The DROS will have the date and time submitted and the waiting period is 240 hours from that.

paul0660
02-25-2012, 1:11 PM
Meaning you can watch some clerks start it before your eyes, some will wait until the end of the day to do a batch, some blow it off until the next morning.

Ask, and get their business card with the time and date for pickup if possible.

Irish Gunner
02-25-2012, 1:29 PM
So I'm still missing one piece of info. Can they DROS it without it in their possession. Ie in order and in transit.

kemasa
02-25-2012, 1:57 PM
For a long gun, yes, but the DOJ does not tend to like it and if something happens such that it does not arrive within 30 days, then you are out the fee. For handguns, no, but that is not to say that some FFL might do it anyhow.

LikeAllGuns
02-25-2012, 1:57 PM
So I'm still missing one piece of info. Can they DROS it without it in their possession. Ie in order and in transit.

Yes you can , I have ordered gun from locel FFL and the 10 day started while gun was shipped. and bam it was there for pick up on 10th day

LikeAllGuns
02-25-2012, 1:59 PM
FFL does not need seriel number for long gun... If it is a hand gun then he needs gun there before 10 day will start.

kemasa
02-25-2012, 4:16 PM
The CA DOJ sent a letter out to FFL which stated that a DROS is not to be submitted for a handgun unless the FFL physically has it. I would have to review the letter and see if it actually is limited to just handguns though. Many FFLs will not submit the DROS unless they actually have the firearm as it reduces possible problems.

Irish Gunner
02-25-2012, 5:14 PM
I appreciate the advise and the dilemma. It may be the reason I dont get the rifle I wanted. None of the shops nearby keep one in stock at a reasonable price. If it takes 2-weeks to get it from S&W and 10 days on top of that I am looking at tying up my $ for nearly a month. So I will investigate other options. Maybe settle for the sport then upgrade the parts I want.

kemasa
02-25-2012, 5:20 PM
The delay of getting the firearm is the reason why you don't want to submit the DROS in advance. If it takes longer than you expect, you would be out the money for the DROS and have to re-submit the DROS.