View Full Version : TJ North's in Marysville

02-25-2012, 3:29 AM
Its a newish gun store in Marysville, formerly known as Sutter Surplus. They're just getting into the gun biz, but as far as I'm concerned, they can get out of it and go back to selling can openers and rubber boots. And if they treat people like they treated me today, it won't be but a matter of months before they board the doors and windows and hang a "for lease" sign.

I stopped by their D Street location this afternoon to see if they had any Raddlock bullet buttons. There were a few customers in the store, enough to have all 3 dudes at the counter occupied. I strolled up and down the few short isles of gun accessories looking for the bullet buttons but didn't see anything, so I took my place in "line" waiting for an available saleperson. I was standing behind a gentleman who, as far as I could tell by my eavesdropping skills, had purchased an AR-15 rifle from this store and was having some trouble with cases ejecting. The fella behind the counter, who I assume was the owner based on the things he was saying, told the customer that theres NO WAY this rifle could have feed or eject issues and that his problem must be the result of poor quality ammo. "Buy different ammo, that Russian stuff doesn't eject well", he says. He never offered to look at the customer's rifle, never offered any other advice. I dunno, maybe take a peek at the extractor or something? Ok, well anyhow, I listen to his "advice" but of course I keep my mouth shut. Not my store, not my gun, not my business. The customer gathers his rifle and walks away and Mr. Advice asks me if I have any questions. I ask if he has any Raddlock Gen II bullet buttons. After a brief "deer-in-the-headlights" pause, he says, "Uhh, yeah, I've got those" and proceeds to walk over a few feet to a box full of small plastic ziplock bags. He grabs a bag and hands it to me, which contains only a standard bulk-ordered bullet button and a small piece of zerox'd paper with installation instructions on it. I quickly review the contents of the bag and conclude this is obviously not a Raddlock. I say to him, "So this is just a regular bullet button, no?" He says yeah, so I then reiterate that I'm looking specifically for a Raddlock Gen II convertable bullet button. Well this is where things get bizarre.....

He sharply snatches the bag out of my hand, throws it the several feet over to his left back into the box and says "Look, I'm not gonna get into 'this bullet button this and that bullet button that' and whatever, a bullet button is a bullet button and thats all there is to it."

Uhhhhhhhh........ ummmm....... I didn't know quite how to respond. Looking at him with a raised eyebrow and a "what the hell was that???" look on my face, I simply replied, "Well, no, not exactly" and proceeded to explain the features and benefits of the Raddlock design. Before only a few seconds, he interrupts with "Yeah well, fine, whatever. We don't have those and we're not gonna have those." Before I could even mentally formulate my rebuttal, he turned to the woman standing next to me and asked if she needed help.

I stood there dumbfounded for just a few seconds before blurting, "Are you serious man? Dude, you're an A**!!!". I turned and walked out, and I will NEVER return to that store..... I don't care if they're giving away free guns, I'll tell everyone I can to avoid that place like the plague. I don't know if he just found out his wife is humping the pool boy, or maybe he missed a dose of meds, but something is wrong with a guy trying to start up a new business in a small town by treating customers like that. I'm still sitting here in absolute shock, I can't remember the last time (if ever) I was treated in such a bizarre way. I mean, usually theres some sort of lead-up or a history or something that would cause someone to act that way, but this dude just nutted out like a spastic freak completely unprovoked.

Anyhow, I haven't a clue as to why it happened that way, but it happened exactly as I've told it. Inexcusable. I just wanted to share this little experience with my fellow Calgunners and encourage you to shop elsewhere.

02-25-2012, 3:52 AM
Oh, and for the record, I understand that Russian ammo can sometimes be the cause of extraction issues, and by itself, that wasn't horrible advice. I just thought the guy could have at least pretended to care a little more about the customer's situation and perhaps should have looked the gun over to rule out other possibilities. I know I would have it if it was my customer. Body language, tone of voice, irratibility, etc tells the whole story. It seemed he just didn't care, and after my brief encounter, it removed all doubt.

02-25-2012, 8:16 PM
i think ill go in there and ask for the same thing, just to mess with him.

02-25-2012, 8:50 PM
Yeah thats what my brother was gonna do. :)

02-25-2012, 8:53 PM
For the love of all things, what is wrong with gun store owners in California, and this country in general?

You could count the number of "good" gun stores in California on both hands. Pretty telling.

02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah thats what my brother was gonna do. :)

Yup. I'm going to go in on Monday and ask for a roadblock and see what happens. But Ill have to make sure to ask the same dude.

02-26-2012, 6:57 PM
You're gonna ask for a roadblock?? Yeah, that should REALLY set him off.

02-26-2012, 9:41 PM
You're gonna ask for a roadblock?? Yeah, that should REALLY set him off.

Radlock. Sorry, fat fingers on an iPad.

03-20-2012, 6:39 PM
So my neighbor just built an ar using a lot of stuff from this place and he has a radlock on I wonder if he got it there? On the flip side he did say they were very nice and his build price was really good.

03-20-2012, 9:15 PM
I live in the Area and i will go ask the same question!!! Visit California Tactical in Roseville. I know its a little drive but WELL worth it. Best people in the world i have ever dealt with in the gun idustry!

03-21-2012, 6:57 PM
I don't know OP i call the other day to ask for a PPT and they where very helpful and accesible, could be the lack of meds?