PDA

View Full Version : My First Duracoat Job-Springfield XD 45

chim-chim7
02-25-2012, 1:57 AM
This is my first Duracoat job. I am glad it turned out good my first time. Anytime you alter a frame for the first time it's a bit scarry, like my stipple job on my M&P 40. I am no longer a virgin now. I used Duracoat Magpul Flat Dark Earth. I am planning on doing the slide and a few other small parts in Tactical OD Green to complete the two tone look.

I chose to test on my XD because well, it's the cheapest gun I own I guess. I know it takes a few weeks to fully cure, so back in the safe it goes.
I also painted my Streamlight to match. If it was not for Calguns, I would have never attempted all the crazy things I do to my guns now. ;)

WITH MAGAZINE EXTENSION
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/xddura001.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/xddura002.jpg

WITH COMPACT MAGAZINE
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/xddura003.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/xddura004.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/xddura005.jpg

MyGlock17
02-25-2012, 2:57 AM
you did it yourself? looks good!

Munny$hot
02-25-2012, 3:25 AM
Flat colors are more forgiving than semi/gloss since they don't show the unevenness. Looks freaking Awesome make me want to buy an XD now. I tried DuraCoat before but it came off rather easily. I stripped it, cleaned very well with acetone, let it dry between coats etc, but no help. Maybe you'll have better luck since my project was on aluminum.

Sac-AR15
02-25-2012, 4:05 AM
Looks good.

killathrilla
02-25-2012, 5:11 AM
Sick bro! It looks real good!

jdewolf
02-25-2012, 6:00 AM
DC and plastic just looks smooth. Did a few AK receivers and they turned out pretty good. Plastic parts just looked damn sexy when done right. My thoughts on DC are a bit mixed on durability. Granted a gun is a tool and as such is put through some tough use. It's a bit like a new car though. You baby them until they get a scratch or a ding and you get over it.

discoed
02-25-2012, 7:00 AM
That looks real good. When you said you painted your light, what kind of paint did you use?

BoJackUSMC
02-25-2012, 8:26 AM
wow looks awesome, good job.....

Oceanbob
02-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Dang Chim.....that looks factory....! Good job.

Now share the brand and procedure sometime...:)

Be well, Bob

h0use
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
very nice!!

Sam
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
That looks nice...even if it is on an XD! :).

CALI SHOT DOC
02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
love the color! looks great

chadillac33
02-25-2012, 11:40 AM
She's a beaut!

proclone1
02-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Dang Chim.....that looks factory....! Good job.

Now share the brand and procedure sometime...:)

Be well, Bob

Yeah! I'm definitely interested to know what tool you used to apply the DC, and what your prior cleaning procedures were.

ArmyMedicMoose
02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I use lots of Duracoat, I never have a problem with DC wear over any over spray on finish. I do bake all my Duracoat project for several hours. If you choose to let it Air cure you most wait a min of a month to shoot it

chim-chim7
02-25-2012, 12:10 PM
I did some research on duracoat before I even attemped this. I found that most people who have chipping with Duracoat put them into service too soon. Like Duracoating the gun then using it two days later. I plan on a one month cure in the safe.

I used a Master G22 stubby airbrush with gravity feed. Air compressor set at 23psi. Allowed the coat to run thick without drying before contact. For the prep I used a grey scotch brite pad, then followed up with Froglube degreaser. Its not out yet I know but I do have a sample.
Total labor time was three hours. This included a full frame strip, masking, coating, and reassembling. I waited 24 hours before reassembling the weapon.

ArmyMedicMoose
02-25-2012, 12:13 PM
try baking it a very low temp for a hour... It helps a lot

02-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Awesome job! Now if i can bring myself to doing a project like this!

morfeeis
02-25-2012, 4:02 PM
I wish i could find someone in my area to cerakote my frame, all the people I've found aether want $150+ or are in SD or norcal.

man that looks sweet.......

Steph
02-25-2012, 6:24 PM
I wish i could find someone in my area to cerakote my frame, all the people I've found aether want $150+ or are in SD or norcal.

man that looks sweet.......

I had Roccobro (in San Bernardino) paint my CZ (molyresin, but he does cerakote and duracoat as well) for a very decent price.

jp1911
02-25-2012, 6:40 PM
Great job !!! I just had my XD out this morning it next on my Duracoat list.

SgtJT27
02-25-2012, 7:00 PM
Great job!

As for the chipping, you need to prep the surface really good. I never had a chipping problem with my duracoat jobs.

den888
02-25-2012, 7:13 PM
Looks nice!

hcbr
02-25-2012, 10:29 PM
nice

Luckee112
02-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Gorgeous!!

Webologist
02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I did some research on duracoat before I even attemped this. I found that most people who have chipping with Duracoat put them into service too soon. Like Duracoating the gun then using it two days later. I plan on a one month cure in the safe.

I used a Master G22 stubby airbrush with gravity feed. Air compressor set at 23psi. Allowed the coat to run thick without drying before contact. For the prep I used a grey scotch brite pad, then followed up with Froglube degreaser. Its not out yet I know but I do have a sample.
Total labor time was three hours. This included a full frame strip, masking, coating, and reassembling. I waited 24 hours before reassembling the weapon.

Looks like a very professional job. Can you keep us in the loop on how the finish holds up after a few trips to the range? I've been itching to duracoat my AK but I'm concerned about long term appearance. If it holds up on your grip I'm in.

JNunez23
02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice job man, though I like the way it looks now. OD Green would look weird IMO.

Good work, makes me want to duracoat my GSG. That thing will NEED it.

cwin
02-26-2012, 1:17 PM
Looks good!

mlevans66
02-26-2012, 2:50 PM
That looks dang pro like, fella! Good job! :thumbsup:

t0kie
02-26-2012, 2:53 PM
Turns great, well done.

chim-chim7
02-28-2012, 3:08 AM
Just finished this. It's a Magpul cheek riser for a MOE buttstock. I really need to buy more colors.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/chim-chim7/tn.jpg

Zartan
02-28-2012, 6:12 AM
CLEEEAN!

MrExel17
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
How much do yo charge?Lol Niice job!

monorailboy
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
what type or brand sprayer did you use ?

Ub3rDorK
02-28-2012, 1:16 PM
this thread made me decide on DC'ing my M&P 9mm....i wasnt before....but now i am. Damn you calguns.

chitoz28
02-28-2012, 2:46 PM
Looks great, I'm in the middle of DCing my G21 in "Tactical" Coyote Brown.

proclone1
02-28-2012, 4:37 PM
Is there a reason why you reassembled it before you let it cure for a month? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to not just letting the frame (or any painted component) "cure" by itself?

Also, where did you buy the paint from? Is there a good website for buying the airbrush from? I found this: http://www.usartsupply.com/airbrush/abdkitG222-SET.aspx

morfeeis
02-28-2012, 4:44 PM
I had Roccobro (in San Bernardino) paint my CZ (molyresin, but he does cerakote and duracoat as well) for a very decent price.
Thanks for the tip, i just wish i didn't have to drive 1.5 hours to get there(well my wife as i dont drive).

DREADNOUGHT78
02-28-2012, 4:47 PM
I have done quite a few projects with Duracoat and even held a DC party at my Auto Body shop where about 15 people came with parts, Duracoated thier own stuff waited about and hour reassembled and left with thier rifles. Under a Infra-red heat lamp I have reassembled weapons after 20 minutes with zero failures. If a Duracoated project is chipping it usuallly is not the product or the cure time it was in the prep. Letting a Duracoat job air dry for a month? I would like to see where in the Lauer P-pages it says that! I could see if the ambient air temperatures were below 68 degree's but at 70+ should take less than 24 hours to cure. Not trying to bash anyone just offering the opinion of someone who actually does refinishing for a living.

fullrearview
02-28-2012, 6:20 PM
Not trying to bash anyone just offering the opinion of someone who actually does refinishing for a living.

Just gotta throw that around don't you!;)

Hows life down that way man?

MyGlock17
02-28-2012, 6:35 PM
next time can you do a youtube video on how you did this please! lol..i wanna paint my glock od green

chim-chim7
02-29-2012, 3:07 AM
I have done quite a few projects with Duracoat and even held a DC party at my Auto Body shop where about 15 people came with parts, Duracoated thier own stuff waited about and hour reassembled and left with thier rifles. Under a Infra-red heat lamp I have reassembled weapons after 20 minutes with zero failures. If a Duracoated project is chipping it usuallly is not the product or the cure time it was in the prep. Letting a Duracoat job air dry for a month? I would like to see where in the Lauer P-pages it says that! I could see if the ambient air temperatures were below 68 degree's but at 70+ should take less than 24 hours to cure. Not trying to bash anyone just offering the opinion of someone who actually does refinishing for a living.

Thats cool. I am in no hurry to use a firearm I rarely shoot. Nice to know I can use it if I needed to. It was more for practice. Most curing is done within 4-6 weeks. I am choosing to sit on it. The info sheet that came with my Duracoat said it CAN be used next day but its better to wait a few weeks before using it for duty and carry. Mistakenly I threw it out. On my next order I will scan them.

From Here....http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_faq.html

When is DuraCoat fully cured?
DuraCoat is dry to the touch in 20 minutes, can be handled in 1 hour and is ready for use overnight. Although DuraCoat will gain most of its final hardness, elasticity and chemical resistance over a 4-6 week period, time will continue to enhance DuraCoat's characteristics over a lifetime. DuraCoat, like fine wine, gets better with age. As we say, "DuraCoat wears in, not out."

From here....http://www.larsontactical.com/id15.html

DuraCoat will dry to the touch in 20 min and can be used after curing 6 - 8 hrs. However it will continue to cure for 4 to 6 weeks after application. DuraCoat is not a flash cure application which will become brittle after curing resulting in chipping and flaking. DuraCoat cures slowly so it remains flexible after it cures which contributes to its excellent abrasion and wear resistance.

From Here....http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=22

DuraCoat is dry to the touch in 20 minutes, can be handled in 1 hour and is ready for use overnight. Although DuraCoat will gain most of its final hardness, elasticity and chemical resistance over a 2-3 week period, time will continue to enhance DuraCoat's characteristics over a lifetime. DuraCoat, like fine wine, gets better with age. As we say, "DuraCoat wears in, not out."