PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 cash and carry

77bawls
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
So Colt made the AR 15 available to the public in 1963. So next year is it's 50th birthday....

Mssr. Eleganté
02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Assault weapons can't be transferred in California.

chillincody
02-25-2012, 12:34 AM

what makes it a 'AW'? .Wouldnt a bb make it GTG ?

Philthy
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
"Colt AR15" is a Roberti-Roos named AW.

chillincody
02-25-2012, 12:44 AM
"Colt AR15" is a Roberti-Roos named AW.

O yeah :facepalm::kest: I had a brain fart there

warbunker
02-25-2012, 2:21 AM

Someone better go tell all those gun stores in commiefornia to close their doors because they are transferring all those "assault weapons" that "can't be transfered in califonia". Last time I checked the store was full of them that they are selling to the general "qualified" public.:rolleyes:

roushstage2
02-25-2012, 2:29 AM
Someone better go tell all those gun stores in commiefornia to close their doors because they are transferring all those "assault weapons" that "can't be transfered in califonia". Last time I checked the store was full of them that they are selling to the general "qualified" public.:rolleyes:
Sounds like you need to do some more reading around. An actual assault weapon cannot be transferred. If you are referring to the AR15s presently sold in CA stores, they are not assault weapons.

If that doesn't make sense, refer to the first sentence.

warbunker
02-25-2012, 2:46 AM
I was referrong tothe fact that everyone consideresevery AR and Ak an assault weapon. And with the proper paperwork and tax stampyou can own a true assault weapon here. How do I know, well I did it here in commiefornia. Took 10 months, alot of waiting, alot of money, and alot of patience with living in the right area that would allow it.

roushstage2
02-25-2012, 2:50 AM
I was referrong tothe fact that everyone consideresevery AR and Ak an assault weapon. And with the proper paperwork and tax stampyou can own a true assault weapon here. How do I know, well I did it here in commiefornia. Took 10 months, alot of waiting, alot of money, and alot of patience with living in the right area that would allow it.
The general public who gets it from the media, yeah (I couldn't have told you the difference until I joined up here) ;)
An AW by CA law can't be transferred, let alone a cash and carry. I'm sure that is all Mssr. Eleganté was getting at. :)

warbunker
02-25-2012, 2:55 AM
Agreed, I just hate that the media puts all this stuff into peoples heads and they are so misinformed it's almost humorus. I used to think there was alot of stuff you couldn't have either here until I did my own research and actually talked to people in charge and pushed my paperwork along the right channels and got things done. Amazing what you can do when you find out the truth and not the media truth.:D

SanPedroShooter
02-25-2012, 5:05 AM
I think you are confusing 'assault weapon', a political term of art (void in CA see below), with Assault rifle....

Assault rifles have existed since WWII with the German Stermgewer or Storm Rifle being an early example if not the first.

'assault weapon' means whatever the person saying it wants it to mean. Unless your in California.... Only in Sacramento could politicians take an invented concept, spend years worth of time and trouble and come up with a byzantine system to regulate their imaginations.

I am sorry but if someone uses the words 'assault weapon' in a serious context, including the Califorina legislature, I am inclined to ignore anything else they say on the subject...

dan12580
02-25-2012, 5:23 AM

tax stamp= nfa item = has nothing to do with ca aw laws.

bocephus223
02-25-2012, 7:44 AM
If I understand correctly, only the manufacturers on the list (ie:colt) are AWs. Assuming they don't have a detatchable magazine, with semi-auto. Or the barrel is 16". Does that mean any non-list manufacturer with the proper setup can be cash and carry?

dieselpower
02-25-2012, 7:58 AM
This is NOT a named AW and is an OLL in CA. It is also C&R right now....

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/coltarmalite.jpg

1) Model 01
2) ArmaLite with the R registration mark
3) Colt non-R Registered roll mark added AFTER manufacture
4) Semi-auto and full auto

EDIT---- There were over 300 full autos for foreign military sales. I have seen one of these in Canada, it was a semi-auto. The serial number was (if memory serves) was 230 something. Why it was a semi-auto I don't know. It might have been a full auto that was converted to semi-auto AFTER 1986.

SanPedroShooter
02-25-2012, 8:12 AM
Sweet! I wonder how much?

And anyone can create an 'assault weapon' aside from from having a named reciever. I believe its SB23 that defines which bits of plastic from the magpul catalog make a rifle extra dangerous.

dan12580
02-25-2012, 8:13 AM
is that yours dieselpower?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
If I understand correctly, only the manufacturers on the list (ie:colt) are AWs. Assuming they don't have a detatchable magazine, with semi-auto. Or the barrel is 16". Does that mean any non-list manufacturer with the proper setup can be cash and carry?

If AB 809 hadn't become law then ARs built on OLLs would have become cash and carry among regular Californians once the rifles were 50 years old "curios & relics". So my Stag Model 4 would have become cash and carry in the year 2056.

But AB 809 got rid of the 50+ year old C&R long gun exemption for non-FFLs in California and replaced it with a C&R long gun (of any age) exemption for C&R FFLs who also have a COE starting in 2014. So if the law stays the same then in 2056 I will be able to sell my Stag Model 4 to a C&R FFL who also has a COE in California cash and carry. If by some strange chance ATF declares the Stag Model 4 to be C&R before 2056 because of it's rarity or collectibility then it will become cash and carry to a C&R FFL with a COE at that time.

dieselpower
02-25-2012, 1:30 PM
is that yours dieselpower?

In my dreams, Yes. :(

tehbigjoe
02-26-2012, 12:34 AM
If your a major colt fanatic, just keep your upper, dismantle a lower or by colt lower parts, go to store and pick up a reliable lower, put the colt inners in it and ur good to go

and stay away from plastic ****, its dangerous, had my ar bust on me and shoot a hole clean threw the table, the gun had less then 400 roudns threw it

dieselpower
02-26-2012, 7:01 AM
If your a major colt fanatic, just keep your upper, dismantle a lower or by colt lower parts, go to store and pick up a reliable lower, put the colt inners in it and ur good to go

and stay away from plastic ****, its dangerous, had my ar bust on me and shoot a hole clean threw the table, the gun had less then 400 roudns threw it

LOL... this thread is way over your head. Its not about the love of Colt. I will explain.

At the 50 year mark you can treat a firearm differently than a 49 year old one. From new to 49 years old you MUST always sell the firearm through an FFL and wait your ten days. At 50 years the firearm is in the Curio and Relic (C&R) category. Once in that category you can just sell or buy the firearm at a garage sale...just like most other States in the nation. This is a California thing for the most part. There are other Federal Laws pertaining to C&R, but this thread is dealing with the CA law on 50 year old firearms. The original Colt AR15 was first offered in 1963 and are 49 years old right now. From what I know, there are 3000 semi-automatics (made in 1962, sold 1963). The serial will be 003000 and below.. If memory serves... I could be wrong. I could be thinking of the first batch with ________ before a change. For some reason the number 3000 is jumping out of my head.

My pic is of the predecessor to the Colt AR15 Sporter (SP1). They were made by ArmaLite, bought by Colt and then sold. These are 50 and 51 years old right now...and there are semiautomatic versions available out there. Once again I have no idea HOW they became SA...once a machine gun, always a machine gun...keep that in mind if you encounter one. The one I saw did NOT have the third hole, No third hole = NOT a machine gun lower...but this was Canada. Someone could have filled in the hole, re-blued the lower and Canada may say thats good... as I know it, the BATFE doesn't see it that way.