View Full Version : Worried for Grandmother's safety(kinda long)

02-24-2012, 9:25 PM
So, these past few days have been less than good. Yesterday morning as I was taking off for work my mom tells me that a 19yo female cousin of mine with a very promising future was in a tragic car accident and died. This happened in Guadalajara, Mx. Then, while at work today, a coworker that I've known for quite some time informed me that a guy we used to know and hang out with died of cancer. He was only 26.

Finally, after work this evening, my mom tells me about some issues my grandmother is having. Apparently somebody has been calling and demanding to speak with a person that doesn't even live there. They've been saying they are the police and are going to come to the house and get him. The first time they said that, my dad went to her house and stayed there for a few hours just in case (my grandmother is my next door neighbor) but they never came. Then, the next time they called and said that, somebody actually came to the door but they said they are police going door to door taking donations, and I confirmed with local PD that that doesn't happen. She was smart enough to not answer and told them to go away and they left yelling about how the police won't help her the next time she calls 911 if she doesn't open the door and donate.

Now she's really worried and gets spooked with any noise and today they called again in the AM looking for the same guy. She's home alone during the day and since my mom doesn't work right now, my grandma stays with her. A big issue is that only women live in the house. One is elderly (grandma), one is retarded (aunt), another aunt works all day, and a 12yo female cousin.

This is half rant and half seeking advice. I want to get my grandma a gun and a fanny pack or something that she can keep on her while home. From what I'm told she was a really good shot back in the day and I wouldn't mind giving her one of my pistols but I don't think an auto-loader would be suitable since I don't know how difficult it would be to rack the slide because of her age. I've never used or even handled a wheel-gun so my question is, what do you guys recommend as far as make/model/caliber? And price ranges would be nice. I know it's a long read, but thanks for any advice.

Damn True
02-24-2012, 9:34 PM
It's a thief.

a) She is not to answer the door for anyone other than family and those with a badge and a squad car parked out front.

b) If you have a dog, put it in Grandma's yard for a while.

c) Report this to the police and begin documenting calls, interactions and start taking photos.

d) Give her a camera and if there is a window in the front door instruct her to take a picture of anyone who knocks. The thieves will likely not come back once they've been photographed. If there isn't a camera get a remote one and mount it on the front porch.

Tank 57
02-24-2012, 9:36 PM
Old police .38 would probably work.Easy to handle.J&G sales is selling Taurus model 82s for $150.Don't know where you are located,local shop could probably order one for you.

02-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Ruger LCR for the great trigger pull (and other good things, as well) would be my pick.

Good luck; stay safe.

02-25-2012, 3:34 PM
Thats unfortunate to hear. I dont like people messing with elderly women. We had a problem similar at my grandmas house. So i stayed over to meet the bastard that kept coming over for donations. I opened the door with my rotweiler, with my brother (6'2" 250 lbs), my dad (6'5" 300 lbs), and myself (6'1" muscular). We said dont ever f***ing come back here, and he never did. Sometimes it works, or makes itworse. But you should just stay over and confront the person. Gets pictures and keep a record of when he comes.