PDA

View Full Version : Fired a Shot w/o Ears Today

temekuguy
02-24-2012, 9:28 PM
Had been shooting for awhile in the sun and was pretty sweaty. So at a break, I took off my ears (only person on my range at the time), used my range towel to towel off the sweat, put back on my glasses, loaded my G22, carefully aimed and fired....then what felt like two daggars were immediately inserted into my ear canals followed by a high-pitched whine. It hurt like heck and not something I would like to do again, so I guess it was a lesson learned.

Took a couple of hours of trying to "pop" my ears to get them to feel a little better. They feel pretty much back to normal now.

The only positive from this is that I now know what it would sound like if I had to face a hd type situation. I think I would have expected the bang (while wearing ears) instead of the high-pitched pop I heard. Now, I somewhat know what to expect, somewhat because in a house I expect it would be even louder.:eek:

Saw a thread on here where a man's wife who does ten shots without ear protection everytime they go to the range. I think I'd go deaf real fast, but I'm only using today's experience to measure against.

drifter2be
02-24-2012, 9:33 PM
Really? I've forgotten my ears a few times, including one time I was stupid enough to go out to bee canyon without them and shot a .308 a few times. Aside from a slight ringing that went away in under a minute I've never had any real issues from forgetting my ears on a random shot or two, although I am not advocating shooting without ear protection.

trob
02-24-2012, 9:42 PM
.357 out of a 2.5" barrel hurts.....I can't even imagine being in combat..

Intimid8tor
02-24-2012, 9:47 PM
.357 out of a 2.5" barrel hurts.....I can't even imagine being in combat..

interestingly you say that. For my bus I buy military surplus I have many of the gi ear plug case On the few I have opened the plugs looked used. Not sure what % our troops wear them, but they do have them.

CSACANNONEER
02-24-2012, 9:57 PM
It's not exactly like a SD situation. A SD situation can be sort of like hunting, your adrenline will be so high that you probably won't even notice it for awhile.

kblack583
02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Couple of years back I was shooting some hot handloads out of my 460. Thought I heard the gate open and stopped and slid my ears up. Forgot to slide them back down on next shot. I was so dazed at first I thought the gun had blown up but after a few seconds I figured out that I didnt have any hearing protection. Could barfely hear for a couple of days and had a constant ring in ears for a couple more weeks. Humbling experience.

FourLoko
02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
It's not exactly like a SD situation. A SD situation can be sort of like hunting, your adrenline will be so high that you probably won't even notice it for awhile.

yep, different

Auditory Exclusion involves a loss of hearing that occurs as part of the fight-or-flight stress response during confrontation with danger. It is a sort of filtering out of unimportant external noise so that focus is maintained on the business at hand -- survival.

Ponderosa2
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I've never worn ears when hunting deer. I've taken a few bucks with my 7mm mag. Not my favorite thing to have go off close to my ears, but I don't think I'd describe it as "daggers."

duggan
02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Seldom wore ear protection in the military with the exception of zero and qual ranges. All other live fire ranges I didn't wear any, I was a 60 gunner an had to be able to hear shift and lift fire commands when our assault squads were flanking. I do wear it now though (at ranges/plinking not when hunting) as I have some hearing loss mostly in my right ear.

IntoForever
02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
After more than 1000 concerts my hearing has been damaged significantly and I'm extremely cautious regarding my hearing. One 'oops' I had was in the desert with nothing around and wondered how loud my .45 would be with light loads. My electronic hearing protection is my best friend.

llamatrnr
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
A rifle's muzzle is a considerably longer distance from the ears than a pistol/revolver's...

My ears are next to my HD pistol always. Wife had to run a coyote off, and shot her .38 snub w/o ear protection; scared and hurt a bunch!

jyo
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Don't do that again! Seriously...

negolien
02-25-2012, 12:00 AM
G.I.'s don't wear ears so I wouldn't be worried..

bruss01
02-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Sounds familiar to me.

I was taking a shooting course and we were in a brief "huddle up" session with the instructor giving us some instructions. I pulled my muffs up to hear what was being said. We VERY abruptly broke and got on the line and my muffs weren't seated correctly but I thought "good enough" when the guy next to me cut loose. I would not say "daggers" but a very sharp pain akin to being hit in the eye with a fist... there's a bright "flash" and then stars and waiting a while for the sight to come back in that eye and a whole lot of unhappiness waiting for it to quit hurting and being VERY distracting.

In my youth I worked a lot of farm equipment, motors, industrial equipment and I once ran a jackhammer in a closet without any hearing protection, let alone years of mowing lawns and other noisy chores. My hearing isn't great at this point. I can still hear faint sounds if there is no other competing noise. In crowded restaurants my dinner table conversation consists of a lot of nodding and smiling. That's because I haven't learned to read lips and I can't separate the voice I'm listening to from the noisy background. When I first started working at age 14 in 1976 they didn't know (or at least, I didn't know) that hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. I worked in a lot of places over the years that OSHA would shut down today due to safety violations including lack of noise protection.

Do your future self a favor. When undertaking any enterprise, consider the risks to your hearing over several years. Yes, it may seem like "you just get over it" but as the years go by it adds injury to insult and what you found "annoying" at 21 can actually become "debilitating" at age 50 if you have careless disregard for your faculty of hearing over that 30 year span.

Heed my words, though you read them rather than hear them. One day, you may not have that choice.

gl0ckc0ma
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.8bitbrigade.com/images/smilies/954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

When I hunt I never wear Ear plugs, and have had no issues. And when I am out there, I always shoot my other guns before I leave. M&P.40, AR .223/5.56, 30-06, 12g, and my .22's and go through hundreds of rounds.

safewaysecurity
02-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Pft a handgun? Try being right next to the muzzle of an AR without your ears.

saki302
02-25-2012, 2:12 AM
A friend of a close friend of mine is a Navy SEAL. He told us they would wear hearing protection given the chance- but when they don't have time or are caught by surprise, they deal with the ringing by wearing earplugs for a day or two later- it helps them 'reset' their ears.
That's the only time I've heard of that guy talking about combat, BTW.

-Dave

ErikTheRed
02-25-2012, 4:39 AM
I spent way too many years depending on my youthful indestructability to wear ear protection. I'm paying for it now in my middle-age fragility.

SanPedroShooter
02-25-2012, 6:50 AM
I was next to an AK clone, I mean right next to it, that was fired in a 10x12 room, long story... Yeah, my ears were ringing, especially the side the shot was fired on, but it went away after a bit. I had some adrenaline going at at the time, but not at the time of the shot, after, so the sound was a total suprise.

The thing I remember most is the smell. It made the room smell like cordite or burnt powder or whatever for like twenty minutes afterwards. It was surplus yugo ammo, that might have been a factor.

CSACANNONEER
02-25-2012, 9:32 AM

An AR in 5.56 is not as hard on the ears as a centerfire handgun. But, then again, this is coming from a moron sho shoots 3" artilary without ears and has had a round or two of 50BMG go off very close without ears in place.

only10x
02-25-2012, 9:37 AM
I wear ears even when I shoot at the .22 only range in El Monte. It isnt super loud but its loud enough to be annoying. Tried to empty a mag from my g22 in the desert once after coming back from frontsight and yea... its really loud :p

xenophobe
02-25-2012, 10:25 AM
high-pitched whine.

That is your ears telling you that your hearing has been damaged.

loose_electron
02-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Yeah, and I know a bunch of them
who have destroyed their hearing because of it.

Friend of mine is a staff sarge out of Pendleton,
5 tours afghan-iraq, at Thanksgiving dinner
last year he was doing the "what you say?" more
than "pass the turkey"

Wear protection eyes-ears-dick
:)
or you will end up regretting it.

stormvet
02-25-2012, 10:47 AM

And most of us have serious hearing damage.... Wear your ears.

paul0660
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/ratpatrol.jpg

Yes and lots of GI's end up with measurable hearing damage.

TNP'R
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM

This my AR sounds like a canon compared to my other guns lol.

Mr.1904
02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
That is your ears telling you that your hearing has been damaged.

I have this consistently from a slew of different activities. Shooting is one of the culprits.

RTE
02-25-2012, 1:45 PM
I make it a point to shoot the last 5 rounds of 38+p from a S&W snub without ears when we go shooting (outdoor range)

Same with the 1911 45acp (last clip of 8 rounds without ears)

No suprises
I do this so I know what it's going to sound like IF I have to shoot something without ears on.

voiceofreason
02-25-2012, 2:06 PM
At least you were outdoors.

helpme
02-25-2012, 5:27 PM
The decibel level and subsequent effect on your ears/hearing really depends on your surroundings and how they reverberate the sound of the shot.

Definitely not a good idea to shoot without any hearing protection unless you absolutely have to though.

temekuguy
02-25-2012, 9:44 PM
The decibel level and subsequent effect on your ears/hearing really depends on your surroundings and how they reverberate the sound of the shot.

Definitely not a good idea to shoot without any hearing protection unless you absolutely have to though.

I'm doing fine today. No ringing.

After reading the posts, I'm thinking I won't do this on purpose again.

I'm also thinking my surroundings had a lot to do with how "loud" it seemed. I was in the small steel pistol range at Rainbow. For those who don't know it, it is in a very small "valley" approximately 25 ft. wide. One side a hill, the other plywood to separate you from the rifle range. Plus you have hills in front and back of you (you enter by stairs.) I think being in this fishbowl magnified the sound a lot compared to, say, a desert setting.

saki302
02-25-2012, 9:46 PM
I tested a .380 indoors once without ears to see what it would sound like if I had to use it for defense. Ears rang for 3 days- NEVER did that again..

My ex-bro-in-law and his son discharged a vertically pointing shotgun right in front of their faces while putting on a trigger lock :rolleyes:
I saw the hole in the roof through which there was clear sky- I bet they heard that ringing for days...

-Dave

westcoast362
02-25-2012, 9:58 PM
I've been shooting for more than fifty years. For the first ten plus, it was no protection or cotton wads in your ears. Then there was the era of loud rock & roll. My hearing is shot and I have a constant hissing in my ears.
Use good ear protection.

Zartan
02-25-2012, 10:19 PM
You'd think in an HD situation, with all the adrenaline flowing, you wouldnt even remember hearing it.