PDA

View Full Version : HK Extended Mag Release

Go Navy
02-24-2012, 9:18 PM
After signing up for an email notification on the HK Parts website, for the next shipment of extended mag releases, I finally got the email the other day and immediately purchased two of them (because I have two HKs).

They arrived, I installed one of them today on my HK USP 9mm Compact, and let me tell you the difference is night and day.

With the stock mag release, I really had a struggle dropping a mag with one finger; usually ended up using my right thumb (I'm right-handed), but had to shift the whole pistol to get enough leverage. I don't have any hand injuries, arthritis, etc. but no other pistol I've ever owned or handled had such a stiff mag release. It was so bad that I was very concerned about being in a serious situation with this pistol, hampered as we are with Taxifornia 10 round mags. (NOTE: for those of you who have not operated an HK, the mag release requires a downward rotation movement; it's not a button-type of push left/right.)

Otherwise, the pistol is very accurate and shoots wonderfully for a "mid-sized" semi auto. Just don't feed it Eastern Bloc ammo because the HK has tight tolerances. Any Yanqui ammo is fine.

Now, with the bigger mag release, it works just dandy. A great and simple upgrade. I highly recommend it. The fact that they keep running out of this part tells you something.

Old Flash
02-24-2012, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up Navy.
I just checked HKParts.net and they are out of stock on extended mag releases for the USP. I'll try to get some when they are back in stock.

BTW, this release looks to be low profile from the website pics. Does it get in the way of your grip and holster? Just curious if it's something that might snag easily if installed in a carry pistol.

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
That's awesome actually. That's why I always liked the p99 since it was extended. So the lever is longer along the trigger guard as well as out from the gun?

I'd even consider a hk with a better mag release.

RUSSIAN
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I use my middle finger on my shooting hand to release the mag. Some use their trigger finger. I'm not sure if it was designed to be used with the thumb, but it's good there is an alternative for those that still use their thumb

Cyphre
02-25-2012, 6:43 AM
Always used my index finger to push it. Since the lever is so far inward (as opposed to a button protruding from the side of the grip), the design doesn't lend itself well to traditional methods with the thumb.

Go Navy
02-25-2012, 8:22 AM
Always used my index finger to push it. Since the lever is so far inward (as opposed to a button protruding from the side of the grip), the design doesn't lend itself well to traditional methods with the thumb.

Yes, that was/is the common technique for the standard HK release. I just couldn't get sufficient force going on the end of my index finger in the downward rotational move the HK release requires. Part of the problem is that I have long fingers.

As to possibility of snagging, I don't see that as a problem due to the nature of the movement this mag release requires. I admit I have not experimented with that yet.

I've attached a picture of my HK USP Compact 9mm, with the standard mag release still installed. I'll try to come up with an "after" picture concentrated on the mag release.

You can see the mag release is located at the lower rear corner of the trigger guard and it is ambidextrous, but you can also see that it is relatively tiny and nestled up against the grip swell. When inserting and removing this (or any) pistol from a holster, the pistol is moving in an up and down vertical direction (with the muzzle down) whereas this mag release requires a small rotational movement sort of in the direction of the bottom of the grip, in other words, almost 90 degrees to the movement of the pistol in/out of a holster.

Go Navy
02-25-2012, 8:28 AM
That's awesome actually. That's why I always liked the p99 since it was extended. So the lever is longer along the trigger guard as well as out from the gun?

I'd even consider a hk with a better mag release.

Yes, it seems to be both, but not a huge difference unless you lay them side by side. It has a larger contact surface for the thumb or forefinger and requires less force. I can operate it easily either way. Since I've always operated any semi-auto pistol mag release with the thumb of my shooting hand, that's my instinct and I'll stick with that from now on with the HK.

Go Navy
02-25-2012, 8:30 AM
By the way, here's the link to the site where you can order this part. There are some excellent pictures showing the size of the extended mag release from different angles:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Extended-Magazine-Release-For-HK-Pistols-198p1669.htm

Ashift
02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Glad to hear you got them and you like them. I woke up the other day to the same email and tried to purchase one but they had sold out. If anyone has one they don't need I would love to buy it.

Ashift
02-27-2012, 4:45 PM
These were available again today (lasted about an hour) and I got my order in.

Go Navy
02-27-2012, 6:46 PM
These were available again today (lasted about an hour) and I got my order in.

Great move, Ashift! You'll be very happy, I'm sure.

Ubermcoupe
02-27-2012, 7:00 PM
Wow, Iíve never seen these before. Never had a problem with my HK mag releases though. I guess I will have to check it out.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-7.jpg

UserM4
02-27-2012, 8:36 PM
Darn spam folder. :( I missed it twice!

Go Navy
02-27-2012, 8:55 PM
Thanks for that post, Ubermcoupe.....that shows it better than any other way. It looks like HK have changed the angles on certain parts of the mag release. I do know is that it works a whole lot better.

kielbasavw
02-27-2012, 8:58 PM
There is nothing wrong with an hk mag release.

Go Navy
02-28-2012, 8:22 AM

So, you're opposed to improvements?

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 9:04 AM
Yes, it seems to be both, but not a huge difference unless you lay them side by side. It has a larger contact surface for the thumb or forefinger and requires less force. I can operate it easily either way. Since I've always operated any semi-auto pistol mag release with the thumb of my shooting hand, that's my instinct and I'll stick with that from now on with the HK.

I can dig it. This may just make me go look at the USP compact .45 or even the P30. I think I saw that it fit those just not the HK45.

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 9:05 AM

This is a welcome improvement. I love where they put it but it was way to small to be liked all around. Just about everyone I know who owned one said they wanted a bigger one or if it was a tad bigger it could help.

MikeEM1
02-28-2012, 9:11 AM
Very nice, I've been wanting to get two also for both of my full size USP's. Every time I get the email that they're back in stock, I'm at work and my work has gun sites blocked :(. Calguns isn't blocked though :)

Go Navy
02-28-2012, 9:52 AM
Very nice, I've been wanting to get two also for both of my full size USP's. Every time I get the email that they're back in stock, I'm at work and my work has gun sites blocked :(. Calguns isn't blocked though :)

Is there possibly a way you could do it on your smart phone?

thedonger
02-28-2012, 9:55 AM
I'm ok with the stock one, but have thought it would be better if it was just a little bigger, I'm on the notify list.

MikeEM1
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Is there possibly a way you could do it on your smart phone?

Yeah I could. I sometimes don't have patience filling out CC info and address and whatnot on my phone.
Also I'm trying to save up and buy a few other things from that website at the same time cause they overcharge for shipping on HKparts.net.
I ordered my .45 threaded barrel from them and they charged like $12-14 for shipping and the package only weighed like 1oz. The actual shipping price was like less than $2 on the shipping label.

MikeEM1
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, but having an improved larger one is def not a negative.

jyo
02-28-2012, 1:16 PM
My original USPf 9mm from 1994 came with a larger mag release than the later pistols which came with the smaller one---I personally like the larger style much better and will be putting the larger release on my USPc 9mm DA/SA along with a hammer with a spur on it (already have the hammer)---this will improve an already great pistol. My P30S and 45C already came with a larger different style mag release.