PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your Guns

Dirtbikindad393
02-24-2012, 9:05 PM
So I am new to it all and was wondering what you use and how often do you clean your pistols?

I was at a gun shop today and one of the guys told me he uses a bore snake and Hoppe's after every range run. Then after that he lubes it up with the Rem oil.

Sound like a good method?

den888
02-24-2012, 9:07 PM
I use Remington 40-X bore cleaner and then CLP for lube.

PandaLuv
02-24-2012, 9:09 PM
So I am new to it all and was wondering what you use and how often do you clean your pistols?

I was at a gun shop today and one of the guys told me he uses a bore snake and Hoppe's after every range run. Then after that he lubes it up with the Rem oil.

I usually clean them after each trip, and sometimes I skip some. I never clean my AK though.

Rem oil is fine for lubricating, I use hoppe's lube and it works. If you have handguns that have a lot of metal to metal action, I recommend using grease on the rails.

Boresnake is convenient, I use it an I using the cleaning rod as well, hoppe's solvent is one of the popular product for gun owners there is, it's pretty much just kerosene.

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 9:12 PM
I clean the pazizzle out of 'em after every range trip. 10 rounds or 200 rounds, especially if it's one of the bedside weapons.

chim-chim7
02-24-2012, 9:15 PM
Sounds fine to me.

Echidin
02-24-2012, 9:27 PM
I used Hoppes for along time, then switched to CLP and now use Froglube.

redcliff
02-24-2012, 9:40 PM
Although I wipe them down with a silicone gun cloth after touching them, I typically only clean em every two or three range sessions. Just cleaned 5 of them today though :)

I generally use Hoppes #9, CLP, Triflon and FP10 depending upon the level of cleaning needed and the particular weapon.

Dirtbikindad393
02-24-2012, 9:52 PM
What is CLP?

redcliff
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
What is CLP?

http://www.break-free.com/

dodger fever
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
CLP is a brand of gun cleaner. It stands for cleaner,lubricant,preservative. Its all in one cleaner. They sell it at local gun shops and I think Walmart might carry it sometimes. Its in a black bottle. I clean my

guns after every range trip but I'll clean them through out the week.

GM_77
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Glock every 500 rounds I hit it with MPRO-7. 1911 gets a full cleaning and lubed no matter what the round count.

Oceanbob
02-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I use CLP on my Glocks. Run a CLP oiled patch thru the barrel and chamber, used CLP on a papertowel for the slide insides, use CLP Q tips to clean the moving parts, slide rails and other areas. I love a clean weapon. After all that I use CLP for one drop on the 4 frame slide rails, one-half drop on the barrel. Rack the slide a few times to spread the CLP and then I clean the Magazine follower.

I have plenty of Hoppes, gun grease, remington oil, bore brushes..etc..for the LEAD, FLAMING DIRT days.

hyperion.excal
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
after every shooting sessions i do through cleaning on all my guns

i use boresnake, mpro7 and froglube.

skyscraper
02-24-2012, 10:26 PM
I clean after every shoot. Its half the fun anyway. I use hoppes #9 to clean the carbon powder residue, Barnes to clean the bore, and then lubrikit FM0 350AW oil.

LoadedM333
02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
My glocks get clean between 2-3 range trips, others every range trip.

chadillac33
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
^^ so what they are trying to say is we all do it a little different, yes the method you mentioned will be just fine. As you get more experienced with the hobby you'll develop your own method too.

SouperMan
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I use CLP (slide/barrel and metal parts) and Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner (frame). It smelled better, and the wife approves of it rather than Hoppe's #9 Solvent. :)

After the range, I usually clean all guns used. Don't like the guns stored dirty.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Safety1st
02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
IMO its better to clean them after each range trip. You never know, you may get busy and not see the range for a couple of months or so. That way at least you know they're properly stored and you won't be getting a visit from the rust fairy.

Barrel: Hoppes #9
Slide, etc: CLP or Eezox
Lube: Lubriplate FMO 350AW

PandaLuv
02-24-2012, 11:44 PM
^^ so what they are trying to say is we all do it a little different, yes the method you mentioned will be just fine. As you get more experienced with the hobby you'll develop your own method too.

lol!

didn't you know? they can shoot under water too!

Blackhawk556
02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I finally cleaned my sp-01 after several hundred rounds and it keeps shooting. Only cleaned it twice I think in the last year. Same thing with my compact M&P, first time I clean in about 7 months after
Close to 1k rounds.

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

Freq18Hz
02-25-2012, 1:51 AM

Soak dirty parts in Shooters Choice, or Hoppes
Use bore brush on inside of barrel, swab clean with a clean patch
Use clean patch on a rod to clean cylinders if a revolver
Use toothbrush on inside of frame rails for a semi auto, and barrel side (blackened side) of revolver cylinders
Use a paper towel to clean any addition residue, grime
Apply a bit of grease to the rails of the frame, and the slide rails
Apply motor oil or similar to moving parts.
remember: if it rubs/high friction, use grease. If it moves, use oil.

Clean your gun after every time you shoot it.

-Freq

luckystrike
02-25-2012, 2:00 AM
after every range trip, asap. I use breakfree to clean everything, milcomm grease for my all steel guns, slip2000ewl for everything else.

jdewolf
02-25-2012, 6:24 AM
Pretty much after every trip to the range my guns get cleaned and lubed. If I know I'm not going to shoot it anytime soon and more than likely not going to need it in case of emergency sometimes they sit for a bit. At the very least I'll do a quick clean, lube, and boresnake the barrel before letting it sit. Boresnake is nice but doesn't get it as clean as patches & brushes will. I'm almost switched over to Froglube, but haven't had a chance to test out its durability yet. From initial tests its a great lubricant. As far as cleaning and protecting I haven't put enough rounds downrange yet. So far my Glock, AR, 795, 590a1 and M1905 have gotten cleaned and lubed with Froglube.

Before that pretty much just used CLP and Hoppes Elite.

sirgiles
02-25-2012, 6:53 AM
read the manual on how to clean.
as for which cleaning agent or lube, just pick one on the rack. its all advertising.

HellnBack
02-25-2012, 9:59 AM
Nobody uses eezox here?

NeenachGuy
02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I like Hoppes #9, but the only thing I'll add about it is that there are two different kinds that I'm aware of... The original Orange label bottle and the Blue label bottle that says "Semi-Auto." The original formula has a residue that remains after using it, whereas the semi-auto formula does not. If you are going to use #9, I'd go with the Semi-Auto variety for your pistol.

h0use
02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
boresnake and froglube. clean my guns as soon as i get done using them. whipe them down a few times a month.

chadillac33
02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
lol!

didn't you know? they can shoot under water too!

That's actually how I clean my pistols, I soak them in warm water for 30 mins prior to cleaning, helps losen everything up ;)

chadillac33
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Point being of my original reply is people always post "how do you do this" and "how do you do that" and get 30 different suggestions. Cleaning a gun isn't rocket science, have someone at the gun shop show you, should take less than ten mins and you're good to go so don't be bashing my comment panda.