PDA

View Full Version : CA legal AK

bodiebill
04-04-2007, 9:17 AM
Just what is required to build a CA legal AK from a parts kit?

Josh3239
04-04-2007, 9:59 AM
Depends- mag lock, filled in thumbhole stock, going single shot, no evil features.

Use the search, there are TONS of threads on this.

MonsterMan
04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Check out monstermangrip.com (http://www.monstermangrip.com) for a replacement grip that lets you use detachable magazines as long as you don't have any banned features and your rifle is long enough.

Shane916
04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Just what is required to build a CA legal AK from a parts kit?

A receiver usually helps :D

chiefcrash
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
first, imagine you were going to build a AK in a free state. What would you need?

Reciever
Parts Kit
US made compliance parts

For a California AK, you'll need all of those too. You will also need to either (A) lock the magazine in place. You can probably jerry rig something with scrap materials to do it. (B) go without evil features. On most AKs, the only evil feature is the pistol grip. Just remove it. You can replace it with a MonsterMan grip or something if you'd like.

Seriously, just browse around and you'll find lots of info

xrMike
04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Don't forget that bullet-operated mag-release doo-dad chingadera that somebody on this board is making... Lets you keep your pistol grip AND drop your mags. Seems like the best way to go to me.

Builder
04-04-2007, 1:29 PM
Don't forget that bullet-operated mag-release doo-dad chingadera that somebody on this board is making... Lets you keep your pistol grip AND drop your mags. Seems like the best way to go to me.
Yes, that works but it limits the mags to just 10 rounds. The MM grip allows one to use the 30 rounders that they had from before 2000, providing there are no other evil features. However, the fixed 10 round magazines do work very well on the PSL.
Thanks,
Builder

xrMike
04-04-2007, 1:33 PM
I didn't know that's how it worked, thanks.

grammaton76
04-04-2007, 1:48 PM

Only problem with it is, you can't use full cap mags with it. I, uh, only have one or two LOW CAP mags for the AK. :)

The device you're thinking of jjperl's bullet button, btw. I have some on hand here in SD... $30 for the lock, $10 extra if you insist I install it for you. :)

xrMike
04-04-2007, 2:17 PM
You guys with your full-cap mags, always rubbing it in. ;)

I need to order one of those AK bullet buttons soon. I'm just about ready to send all my stuff to James.

MrTuffPaws
04-04-2007, 4:21 PM
Save yourself the work and buy a Saiga. You can mod them to a pistol grip if you move to a free state.

ghost
04-04-2007, 4:22 PM
You guys with your full-cap mags, always rubbing it in. ;)

I need to order one of those AK bullet buttons soon. I'm just about ready to send all my stuff to James.

+1 for high caps with the monsterman grip:D