PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a stainless revolver question

Ub3rDorK
02-24-2012, 7:49 PM
So I just picked up my 686+ 6" and the trigger has some black stuff on it. I did buy this gun new so it has never been shot.....so how do i clean it so its nice and silver?

PIC:

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/ub3rphoto/e61590e6.jpg

Also, what methods have some of you guys used for best results? I picked up a lead cloth with it today and thats about it and have my regular rem oil and frog lube but thats about it.

uxo2
02-24-2012, 7:56 PM
Lead away will do wonders...
Carbon from cylinder face goes away

I hate rem oil...To light

Frog Lube...Still undecided.
Recomend CLP or Slip2000

ckprax
02-24-2012, 8:07 PM
I would try the lead away cloth first. If that doesn't work i would just use some mother's or flitz polish.

wtkaiser
02-24-2012, 8:12 PM
Yes, the lead-away cloth works miracles, as long as you can put out the elbow grease. It cleaned my 610 so it was spotless for eventual sale and cleans my .22 stainless kit gun just fine, too. About the only product I have found that works that well.

jessegpresley
02-24-2012, 8:15 PM
That's just the way the MIM triggers look like.

orangeusa
02-24-2012, 8:18 PM
Okay - I'm threadjacking a tiny bit. I have a pre-mim/prelock 686 and the area in front of the cylinder is covered with carbon and is just BAKED on. I tried EEZOX and Hoppes, couldn't make a dent in it...

ckprax
02-24-2012, 8:20 PM
^ use a lead away cloth and a bit of elbow grease. Once its clean you can maintain it with some hoppes and a brass brush.

Ub3rDorK
02-24-2012, 8:29 PM
sweet sounds like that lead cloth is my best friend.

mlevans66
02-24-2012, 8:32 PM
That's just the way the MIM triggers look like.

That's how the trigger come but if you really want a shine try MAAS metal polish. Gets my 686 prettier then a picture.

Ub3rDorK
02-24-2012, 8:36 PM
That's how the trigger come but if you really want a shine try MAAS metal polish. Gets my 686 prettier then a picture.

is it a firearm polish or automotive?

the_t0ny
02-24-2012, 9:00 PM
another vote for flitz

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 9:14 PM
Okay - I'm threadjacking a tiny bit. I have a pre-mim/prelock 686 and the area in front of the cylinder is covered with carbon and is just BAKED on. I tried EEZOX and Hoppes, couldn't make a dent in it...

Mother's mag & aluminum polish will take it right off. So will the lead remover cloth.

Revoman
02-24-2012, 9:42 PM
The trigger and the hammer are both MIM parts and should look like that, they don't shine up very well.

The older triggers and hammers were forged and heat treated, you can usually see the different colors in them. The MIM parts are just plain Janes compared to the forged parts.

They turned to the MIM parts for ease of manufacturing.

Dark Mod
02-24-2012, 9:44 PM
Ill have to try that lead cloth, My trigger has been like that for years, never occured to me that i could clean it

orangeusa
02-24-2012, 9:50 PM
Mother's mag & aluminum polish will take it right off. So will the lead remover cloth.

Wow - mag cleaner! I used to buy CANS of that stuff when I was in high school for my mag wheels.. :) (was not Mothers, but you get the idea).

Cool. I love CALGUNS! :)

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Wow - mag cleaner! I used to buy CANS of that stuff when I was in high school for my mag wheels.. :) (was not Mothers, but you get the idea).

Cool. I love CALGUNS! :)

When I bought my new-to-me M66 the thing was just awful. With the polish I could actually see layers of carbon coming off the face of the cylinder. Frequent cleaning of that area isn't really necessary but in this case I do believe there was a measurable buildup that might affect the CB gap.

Ub3rDorK
02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
heres about 20 minutes with the lead cloth...kind of a pain in the ***...and yes REVOMAN you're right...it doesn't shine too well....at least its clean.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/ub3rphoto/2b6f0652.jpg

NoHeavyHitter
02-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Sure looks a lot better. I'm a fan of the lead-away cloth too.

Ub3rDorK
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
^ use a lead away cloth and a bit of elbow grease. Once its clean you can maintain it with some hoppes and a brass brush.

the brass brush wont scuff the finish?

Freq18Hz
02-25-2012, 1:56 AM
Don't clean the black stuff on the front of the cylinder. Not necessary, bad in the long run.

-Freq

den888
02-25-2012, 7:40 AM
Yep. lead away works wonders. I also use it to clean the front of the cylinder.

scarville
02-25-2012, 2:55 PM
I use Bar Keepers Friend and a tooth brush on my cylinder and frame. It is made for cleaning stainless steel sinks and counter tops without scratching (too much). Do NOT use a chlorine based cleanser of any kind -- JIC you didn't already know that.

I remove the cylinder to clean it that thoroughly.

glockman19
02-25-2012, 2:58 PM
I buffer mine to a nice shine with a dremmwl and small buffing wheel.

gorenut
02-25-2012, 3:20 PM
I used to use the lead cloths but ever since I got Frog Lube, I stopped using it. Brass brush + Frog Lube pretty much gets any of that build up off on my S&W 627

CharlesV
02-25-2012, 3:59 PM
For small parts like triggers, screw heads, etc Ive gotten good results with stainless steel cleaning powder and FINGERS. I would have taken the trigger out, pour some powder on the counter, dampen it with water into a paste and using fingers and thumbs, keep scouring until its clean and shiny. Sometimes i do that during a movie, kill two birds...I have Kleen King powder and also have used Bon Ami, similar to Barkeepers Friend, very low abrasion. I have also used Polishing Compound (for cars). But the point here is that for some reason finger pressure works miracles compared to brushes. Dont ask me why.

Ub3rDorK
02-25-2012, 4:15 PM
I used to use the lead cloths but ever since I got Frog Lube, I stopped using it. Brass brush + Frog Lube pretty much gets any of that build up off on my S&W 627

paste or liquid?

schneiderguy
02-25-2012, 4:36 PM
Don't clean the black stuff on the front of the cylinder. Not necessary, bad in the long run.

-Freq

Noob question, why is it bad? :confused:

jessegpresley
02-25-2012, 8:05 PM
It's a bit of a stretch, but too much polishing could remove metal from the cylinder, increasing the gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder.

SgtJT27
02-25-2012, 9:52 PM
Cam, Sweet revo, now let's go shoot it :)

mlevans66
02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
is it a firearm polish or automotive?

It's a metal polish, has everything from silverware to guns on the box that it can polish. :D

http://www.maasinc.com/

gorenut
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
paste or liquid?

Paste. I find it overall more effective.

shooting4life
02-26-2012, 8:23 AM
I just don't worry about cleaning the carbon off my cylinder. Next time you shot it will come back. I just wipe the outside down with an oiled rag, clean the bore and cylinder and call it done. Here is my 610 with a little carbon build up on the outside of the cylinder. Looks fine to me.
Also, since it has not been mentioned, don't use lead away cloth on blued revolvers.
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2952.jpg

Freq18Hz
02-26-2012, 8:40 AM

It's a bit of a stretch, but too much polishing could remove metal from the cylinder, increasing the gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder.

exactly...and it isn't a stretch.

-Freq

Ub3rDorK
02-26-2012, 3:34 PM
Cam, Sweet revo, now let's go shoot it :)

Wednesday! Lets go!

It's a metal polish, has everything from silverware to guns on the box that it can polish. :D

http://www.maasinc.com/

Got it....thanks!

Sunday
02-26-2012, 4:34 PM
The carbon adds a certain rugged look, don't worry so much about the looks Slip 2000 and shoot ,Slip 2000 then shoot. Cleaning you guns too often causes more wear than shooting it..

scarville
02-26-2012, 6:17 PM
I guess I should mention I typically clean my revolvers thoroughly every 8K to 10K rounds or once a year. Some that I don't shoot much have gone two or three years since the last thorough cleaning. Usually I just clean the bore and chambers then wipe it down.

Fishslayer
02-27-2012, 12:00 AM

If you use a harsh abrasive you can (eventually) remove metal from the cylinder face. It would take a loooong time. The cylinder/barrel gap is a factor in how a revolver performs.

Personally, I would never use a brass or other metal brush. Mas polish or Mothers is minimally abrasive when used with a soft cloth.