PDA

View Full Version : C&R, interstate, interfamily long gun transfer question

ewkrag
02-24-2012, 5:58 PM
I've been trying to get my head around this topic, but after hours of reading and research, I am still quite confused.

My parents have my great grandfather's Krag (which is in excellent condition) that they would like for me to have. Needless to say, I'm excited. However, I'm not sure what needs to happen to do a transfer like this.

The rifle is a C&R, and I am waiting to get the serial #, as it might qualify as an antique by being manufactured in 1898 or before.

I live in California, and my parents live in Georgia.

My hope was to fly out there in a couple of months, get the rifle, and bring it back.

The combination of C&R, interstate, and family has me confused on what needs to happen. I assume that I can't just go there and fly back with it without getting a C&R license, right? Or do I need to go through an FFL?

Librarian
02-24-2012, 6:20 PM
I assume that I can't just go there and fly back with it without getting a C&R license, right?

Or do I need to go through an FFL?

One or the other.

Because it's interstate, a licensee has to get involved somewhere in there.

Personally, I'd get the C&R license @ $30. Then you wouldn't have to fiddle with FFL fees.

www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf, a fillable .pdf from ATF.

ewkrag
02-24-2012, 6:52 PM
Ok, thanks very much. Amidst the deluge of information, that seems to make sense.

emcon5
02-24-2012, 9:07 PM
Personally, I'd get the C&R license @ $30. Then you wouldn't have to fiddle with FFL fees.

www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf, a fillable .pdf from ATF.

Excellent advice.