PDA

View Full Version : Cali online tax on gun (modification)

dnguyen178
02-24-2012, 1:31 PM
I just bought a 1911 online for a great deal. My FFL now has the gun and the new law is that you'd have to pay sales tax on the price of the gun you bought it for. My FFL told me to bring in the receipt in order to calculate and charge me on those taxes. Can I modify my receipt to make the price less than the price I bought it for? So I don't have to pay a lot of taxes?

Example: $800 gun sales tax would be $80; Change it to $500 and tax would only be $50.

The receipt is online and in email so its easy to make changes.

Just a question, no intention of doing it, yet.

Thanks,

ke6guj
02-24-2012, 1:42 PM
sounds like fraud to falsify a receipt and present it to the FFL

DVSmith
02-24-2012, 1:50 PM
You have to be kidding, right? Be a man and do the right thing.

That is like asking if we think you should cheat on your income tax return.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2012, 2:04 PM
You are asking us if you should break the law. No you should not.

kemasa
02-24-2012, 2:07 PM
This type of thing is why I have a policy regarding fake receipts. Try it and it will cost you a lot more than you will save with sales tax.

You had best hope that if you were to do such a thing that the seller does not include a receipt. Tax evasion is something that the BOE seems to take a great interest in. On the up side, you might get free room and board, not to mention all the sex that you don't want.

INDABZ
02-24-2012, 2:49 PM
The state has turned FFLs into the DMV office.......:facepalm:

Lives_In_Fresno
02-24-2012, 4:21 PM
I just bought a 1911 online for a great deal. My FFL now has the gun and the new law is that you'd have to pay sales tax on the price of the gun you bought it for. My FFL told me to bring in the receipt in order to calculate and charge me on those taxes. Can I modify my receipt to make the price less than the price I bought it for? So I don't have to pay a lot of taxes?

Example: $800 gun sales tax would be $80; Change it to $500 and tax would only be $50.

The receipt is online and in email so its easy to make changes.

Just a question, no intention of doing it, yet.

Thanks,

Ohhh...Ok gotcha...This is a hypothetical, since [you] "don't plan on doing it....YET

C'mon...You have five posts in this forum and start off like this?

Add to the community, as opposed to what you did here...

If you falsify the receipt and later go to jail for fraud, don't come crying here.

kemasa
02-24-2012, 4:30 PM
Or the FFL refuses to complete the transfer and charges you a lot of money, plus add to the fact that most likely you would not be able to sue the FFL for not doing the transfer OR returning the firearm due to the legal concept of "dirty hands" as you were trying to commit an illegal act.

I had a FFL give me a fake receipt. He tried to complain to the CA DOJ. After the CA DOJ called me and I explained what the situation was, the person at the DOJ told that FFL that I could turn the firearms over to the local police and he could deal with them. As it turned out the buyers were not involved with the stupid FFL, but the point is that if you try to do something stupid, you may end up losing much more in the end. Do you really want to try to get the firearms from the local police? Do you know what a FFL would charge for such a service (assuming you could get a FFL to pick them up when you are forced to explain why)? You might never see the firearm again, but you have paid for it.

247Nino
02-25-2012, 2:32 PM
Let me humor you,

SURE, DO IT, sounds like you've thought it through quite well. Say hi Bubba for us once you're on the inside.

247Nino
02-25-2012, 2:33 PM
:cool:

keenkeen
02-29-2012, 6:33 PM
Tax evasion is something that the BOE seems to take a great interest in. On the up side, you might get free room and board, not to mention all the sex that you don't want.

If you falsify the receipt and later go to jail for fraud, don't come crying here.

Say hi Bubba for us once you're on the inside.

I am not going to comment on the doctoring of the sales amount in order to avoid paying the full and required tax amount...I think we can all agree, don't do it.

But do you guys really think the average Joe who is buying a handgun (non-restricted person) is going to PRISON, (or even jail) if they get caught doing this? If you do, I think you must be residing in the jurisdiction of "Fairy Land".

Have you seen who is getting early release during the last several years? Have you followed the type of people who are getting probation and NO jail time with recent convictions...career criminals with 6 or more felony convictions...heard of "realignment"?

Anyway, no reason to cheat on income or sales/use taxes but nobody in going to the "Big House" (or even the "Pokey") for the crime mentioned in the hypothetical.

..Rant off. :)