PDA

View Full Version : Lube the Glock

trfcrugby
04-03-2007, 9:59 PM
What do the Glock owners here recommend to lube their Glocks? Can you buy that copper looking stuff that is on there from the factory?

I have a Gen 2 from 1995 that I've barely ran 500 rounds through, but recently I've been shooting it a lot more and I want to make sure it lasts a long time.

GlockComa
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I clean my Glock with Hoppes #9 and lube it up with CLP.

aca72
04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Get a brand name oil designed for firearms. GLOCKs are not really picky when it comes to gun oils and it does not take a lot to lube them. That's the beauty of GLOCKS.

goldfinger
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
i use mobil 1 5w30 for all my firearms. seriously...

scewper
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I clean my Glock with Hoppes #9 and lube it up with CLP.

You clean your glock? Interesting, I've never heard of trying something like this before.

GlockComa
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Scewper haha cleaning for me is like once every 3 - 4 months.
What can I say I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to cleaning any of my firearms.

scewper
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Well... I guess I do clean my glock too.. if you consider wiping the underside of the slide with a paper towel to remove all the 'gunk' and whatnot. I'll use a few drops of lube every so often too, haha.

Seriously though, I clean my other firearms thoroughly, I just like abusing my glock. It was made to be abused, so it shall be!

Oh and back to the topic, I use a drop of hoppe's lube on each of those little metal clips that the slide slides on (dunno what you call them..) and one in the hammer mechanism. Works like a champ.

TMC
04-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Do Glocks need cleaning and lubrication?

I've been lied to!

ns3v3n
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Scewper haha cleaning for me is like once every 3 - 4 months.
What can I say I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to cleaning any of my firearms.

comon! be nice to your firearms. it provides hours of endless fun, at least you can do for them is to clean them off after you shoot them a couple of times.

Jicko
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Do Glocks need cleaning and lubrication?

I've been lied to!

Generally.... not really.... ha ha ha

But then.... in a long relationship, you do want to spend some time pampering your glock....

I use M-Pro7 Gel to clean my G19.... i probably put 15000-20000 rounds thru it the last year or two.... i clean it every maybe couple thousand of rounds...

I use a few drops of M-Pro 7 oil on it here and there after I clean it...

And I have probably less than 5 jams thru out its lifetime....

mike452
04-03-2007, 11:36 PM
You clean your glock? Interesting, I've never heard of trying something like this before.

Same here! Had my G34 for years and never clean it.

CalNRA
04-04-2007, 12:07 AM
I just got a Glock 36, and I intend to clean the barrel every time I shoot it. Reason being in the 45ACP barrel, the octagonal rifling can be over-pressured with things like lead deposit and leads to kabooms, so even thoughI only shoot FMJs can't hurt to clean the barrel. Other than that I wipe off the parts off with patches and drop a few oil on the rails, the disconnector, behind the barrel lug and barrel near the bushing.

rkt88edmo
04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
What do the Glock owners here recommend to lube their Glocks? Can you buy that copper looking stuff that is on there from the factory?

I have a Gen 2 from 1995 that I've barely ran 500 rounds through, but recently I've been shooting it a lot more and I want to make sure it lasts a long time.

You can buy the copper stuff at auto shops, it is anti-sieze. More or less it is grease with lots of copper powder in it. Definitely not recommended for continued (or any) maintenance use on firearms, but I doubt it would hurt the glock too much other than the finish. I use CLP.

randy
04-04-2007, 4:07 AM
In the Glock Armors course the recommended oil is whatever is free. If you buddy is cleaning his firearms use his.

xenophobe
04-04-2007, 5:09 AM
The Glock is most reliable when you use the anti-seize copper grease in the proper locations.

The Glock is less reliable when heavily oiled... (dirt magnet, duh)

BigMac
04-04-2007, 6:13 AM
At the armoorers course, we were instructed to only leave the copper looking paste on for 500 rnds. It is for break in only.

They recomend a half drop on the barrel where it locks into the front of the slide, and a drop for each metal tab. DO NOT LUBE THE STRIKER ASSEMBLY.

The striker rides in a plastic bushing.. it does not require oil. It can and does cause amunition failures if you oil the striker and leave it stored muzzle down ( like in a holster being worn). The oil will migrate and can contaminate the rounds primer in the tube.

TonyM
04-04-2007, 8:12 AM
My first Glock, a 23 I got in 1991 is still in great shape. All these years and all those rounds fires and I almost never did more than clean the barrel with a patch, and lightly lube with CLP.

Heck, for the first 10 years I owned it I never even stripped the slide, only lightly cleaned the exterior surfaces of the slide when off the frame.

Glocks are great and bad for a first firearm. Great because they can handle neglect. Bad because they make it easy to get into bad habits that other more "delicate" firearms can't tolerate.

Shenaniguns
04-04-2007, 8:33 AM
Correct!!!! Do not put anymore anti-seize after it gets worn/cleaned off... I use Gunbutter on the connector and a little slide glide on everything else, it smoothens everything out but can induce a malfunction if it's too heavily applied. I haven't had any malfunctions in either my G19 or G34 using these products, but my bro-in-law did on his new G17.

At the armoorers course, we were instructed to only leave the copper looking paste on for 500 rnds. It is for break in only.

They recomend a half drop on the barrel where it locks into the front of the slide, and a drop for each metal tab. DO NOT LUBE THE STRIKER ASSEMBLY.

The striker rides in a plastic bushing.. it does not require oil. It can and does cause amunition failures if you oil the striker and leave it stored muzzle down ( like in a holster being worn). The oil will migrate and can contaminate the rounds primer in the tube.

m1aowner
04-04-2007, 9:19 AM
Yeah, not much cleaning going on with my Glocks. Maybe a wipe down after shooting and some XF7 on the recommened areas, nothing fancy. It's a Glock, no pampering required.

PressCheck
04-04-2007, 9:32 AM
What? A Glock needs to be cleaned??????

oghl888
04-04-2007, 9:35 AM
There was a FBI HRT team sniper turned novelist who wrote a few books. In one of his books, a recount of his career, he mentioned that he and his sniper team members were attacked with a poorly maintained Glock. The Glock jammed after 1-2 rounds.

I clean and lube my Glocks just as often and as thoroughly as my other pieces. The lube I use is the same as what I use for other hand guns: CLP, motor oil of various brands, Hoppe's gun oil, and a couple of other brands of gun oil in the past that I don't remember (Ram oil? etc).

WolfMansDad
04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Because of the polymer frame and that wonderful tennifer finish, glocks should be run almost dry. Your manual will show you the proper lubrication points, but the short answer is one drop on each of the slide rails, one drop on the disconnector, and lube the barrel lightly inside and out. Take special care that the firing pin and breechface remain dry.

I kept a glock 26 for many years and was very anal about cleaning it. After a thousand rounds or so, it got well broken-in and really slick. It was a joy.

I've since graduated to a 1911. My colt came out of the box slick.

E. Fudd
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
CLP. A little dab 'il do ya..... : )