PDA

View Full Version : Difference between truglo sights tritium and fiberoptic

b76
02-24-2012, 9:55 AM
I'm looking for a fiber optic sight for my M&P 40 and have found truglos online for 125 or 60 an I'm assuming the tritium is some new technology rather than the plain fiberoptic sights.

HighLander51
02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Fiber optic is just a light gathering piece of plastic, Tritium (a radioative isotope) will glow in the complete darkness, that's why the price difference. Tritium has been around for at least 20 years, maybe more.

b76
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks alot for the clarification. Is it worth it? For the tritium

knerona
02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
What is your main purpose for the upgrade in sights?

Night sights are great for a HD/CC gun, you never know what kind of lighting you will be in during a self defense situation.

b76
02-24-2012, 1:42 PM
I want them mainly for competition and range shooting. Steel challenges etc. I'm thinking about ameriglo proglo. Or Dawson precision sights. Any feedback? Also I'm looking for a sight to order from with free or cheap shipping

QuarterBoreGunner
02-24-2012, 1:48 PM
Also bear in mind that 'night sights' are NOT some sort of 'night vision' gadget, yeah yeah, I know, sounds obvious, but I've talked to gun owners that were convinced otherwise.

All Tritium (Trijicon, Tru-Dot, etc) sights allow you to do is to pick up your sights in LOW LIGHT situations. You still need to be able to see enough to identify your target.

And don't confuse them with cheap 'glow in the dark' paint solutions that require a white light source to 'charge' them up. Tritium glows no matter what, their good for about 10-15 years before they start to dim.

b76
02-24-2012, 1:51 PM
Ya well i only néed them for the range an competitions I just think the color would be nice an easy to pick up on a target.

stix213
02-24-2012, 2:01 PM
FYI on this brand. I have truglo tritiums on my G17 and truglo fiber optic + tritium on my G29. The tritums on my G17 without fiber optic are much brighter at night than the tritiums with fiber. The fiber optic + tritium ones are also not really that much easier to see than the plain tritiums during the day either and are also much longer.

Here you can see the size difference. The camo colored gun top right has the Truglo tritiums, and the G29 right below it has the same brand but fiber optic + tritium. You'll notice you are losing a little bit of sight radius in the process too due to the long front sight. I like them both just fine, but I would probably just buy the Truglo tritiums without fiber if I were to do it over with the G29. (that's my personal preference, and I am currently NOT doing any competitions)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7200/img1007vr.jpg

b76
02-24-2012, 2:12 PM
Thank u very much for the comparison I appreciate it.

g_conway
02-24-2012, 8:10 PM
I have the Tritium+fiberoptic on mine. I find them very bright and easy to use in all lighting conditions.