PDA

View Full Version : Inherited guns back in 1995, should i take action?

TDIguy
02-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi all, hoping that someone can give me a bit of guidance. Back in 1995 my grandfather passed away, and I inherited a few of his guns. A handgun, a shotgun and a few rifles. I don't really know the history of them, I never even knew he had them until after he died. They all date to the 70s and early 80s. My grandmother had no knowledge of them other than that they existed and were stored in the back of his closet, no records about them were found. He was an upstanding man and these are quality guns, so I'm not concerned about them being illicitly acquired or anything. It looks like he developed an interest in guns for a bit, acquired some and then lost interest.

Recently it occurred to me that I should look into the legality of my owning these guns. I do shoot them regularly and take care of them, it's not like they're rusting away in storage. What, if any, action should I take on these? What if I wanted to sell them, would I need to do anything differently?

Thanks for any advice.

Oceanbob
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
You have nothing to worry about. You own them. There is no law that requires you to register them. You don't have to do anything.

Have fun.!
Bob

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
The only one that I (personally) would be concerned about is the handgun. If you inadvertently get caught doing something illegal (like carrying it in an unlocked container), the consequences are very serious if the gun is not registered to you. Beyond that, I just don't know that there is much of a concern.

AJAX22
02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
If your grandfather gave them to you before 1991 then there would be no reccord or requirement of the transfer (its not illegal to have an unregistered handgun and long arms are not registered)....

don't you recall having a conversation where he said "These are yours, i'm just going to store them for you for a while?"

TDIguy
02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
If your grandfather gave them to you before 1991 then there would be no reccord or requirement of the transfer (its not illegal to have an unregistered handgun and long arms are not registered)....

don't you recall having a conversation where he said "These are yours, i'm just going to store them for you for a while?"

I definitely remember that conversation, and I've been telling myself it's good enough, the only gotcha is that in 1991 I was a minor, so I'm not sure how that affects things.

I've heard that CA does not prosecute violations of the FFL transfer rules if you voluntarily register a gun, so perhaps I should do that with the handgun. I just hate to create a paper trail on a clean gun I've owned for close to 20 years.

ckprax
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
You do not have to do anything. Even if you made an illegal transfer in 1995, the statute of limitations is 3 years. Enjoy your firearms.

TDIguy
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Sounds like the general consensus is "no big deal" so I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks everyone!

paul0660
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
If you inadvertently get caught doing something illegal (like carrying it in an unlocked container), the consequences are more serious if the gun is not registered to you.

It can change a violation of 12025 from a misdemeanor to a felony.

AJAX22
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I definitely remember that conversation, and I've been telling myself it's good enough, the only gotcha is that in 1991 I was a minor, so I'm not sure how that affects things.

I've heard that CA does not prosecute violations of the FFL transfer rules if you voluntarily register a gun, so perhaps I should do that with the handgun. I just hate to create a paper trail on a clean gun I've owned for close to 20 years.

If they have an issue on your age at time of transfer they can take it up with your grandpa