PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions re PPT from former Texas resident

AMDG
02-24-2012, 8:49 AM
Ok, here is a hypothetical situation. A Texas resident purchases several firearms including a striped lower AR receiver that's never been a rifle, then moves to California.

1. Does the former Texas (now California) resident need to file a new-resident registration for handguns prior to selling them by PPT if the sale is withing the 60 day window?

2. Can the striped lower AR receive that's never been a rifle be PPTed as a pistol?

Thanks!

Librarian
02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
1) no - PPT of the moved handguns is an alternative to filing the personal handgun importer form; there are some issues with having CA id before you can do that, however. Sometimes it takes DMV a while to get your license to you.

2) dunno.

(and, if I may - 'striped' means 'having stripes', like the US flag; 'stripped' is apparently what you mean.)

Ubermcoupe
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting question on the stripped lower.

If an OOS resident were to buy an lower, and never build (or register) it as a rifle, then move here he or she could volreg it as a pistol no? as part of his or her pistol collection?

dwtt
02-24-2012, 3:00 PM
Ok, here is a hypothetical situation. A Texas resident purchases several firearms including a striped lower AR receiver that's never been a rifle, then moves to California.

2. Can the striped lower AR receive that's never been a rifle be PPTed as a pistol?

If the receiver was filled out in the 4473 as a pistol and never had a buttstock installed then it qualifies as a pistol. The rule is once it becomes a rifle, it will always be a rifle.

Interesting question on the stripped lower.

If an OOS resident were to buy an lower, and never build (or register) it as a rifle, then move here he or she could volreg it as a pistol no? as part of his or her pistol collection?
Last year I was looking into buying some Para Ordnance lower receivers from CDNN to make a pistol or two, then I got sent overseas. :( I know I will eventually have to move back to CA when this job is over, but I would be able to bring back the receivers as pistols.

dantodd
02-24-2012, 4:46 PM
If the receiver was filled out in the 4473 as a pistol and never had a buttstock installed then it qualifies as a pistol. The rule is once it becomes a rifle, it will always be a rifle.

AFAIK, stripped lowers are transferred as "other" on form 4473. CA DROS form doesn't have that category. It is perfectly legal to build an "other" firearm into a pistol.

dwtt
02-24-2012, 10:08 PM
AFAIK, stripped lowers are transferred as "other" on form 4473. CA DROS form doesn't have that category. It is perfectly legal to build an "other" firearm into a pistol.

This is even better. The FFL I use in VA was willing to record them as pistols and he trusted me enough to know the law regarding building it into a rifle, but "other" would work better, it sounds like. Now I just have to keep saving my pennies..

dantodd
02-25-2012, 7:52 AM
This is even better. The FFL I use in VA was willing to record them as pistols and he trusted me enough to know the law regarding building it into a rifle, but "other" would work better, it sounds like. Now I just have to keep saving my pennies..

Actually, pistol works better. The ATF has said that you can take a pistol, turn it into a rifle and then re-convert it into a pistol if you want. If you first transfer it as a rifle it cannot be configured as a pistol. if you transfer it as "other" you may have to convince the ATF that you first built it into a pistol.

This only applies to federal issues, CA defines short barreled rifles and shot guns differently than the Feds and such conversions are possibly a violation of CA law.

AMDG
02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Great. Thanks everyone!

CHS
02-27-2012, 9:42 AM
1. Does the former Texas (now California) resident need to file a new-resident registration for handguns prior to selling them by PPT if the sale is withing the 60 day window?

No.

2. Can the stripped lower AR receive that's never been a rifle be PPTed as a pistol?

Yes. As long as it was originally described on the 4473 as an "other/receiver".