PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA... Need help figuring out which of my guns & body armor are legal

Drunk tank
02-24-2012, 8:31 AM
G'day gents!

As of today, I've accepted a offer to work in San Jose, CA constructing the VTA Berryessa light rail extension.

Now... the problem... I own quiet a bit of guns and CA gun laws are definitely new to me and I want to stay on the up and up and not in jail for violating some odd law.

So I know that I cant bring any of my AR15's, AK47's, SBRs or suppressors. I know all my mags that hold over 10 rounds cant come with me either. But then theres my firearms that I THINK are legal... but Im not sure. So heres a list of what Im planing on bringing that Im worried about the legality of.

M&P45 w/o Mag safety or thumb safety (didnt see on CA pistol list) and I only have 10 round mags for this

Ruger MKIII 22/45 w/ threaded barrel (didnt see on CA pistol list) and I only have 10 round mags for this

Ruger LCP (didnt see on CA pistol list)

Savage Precision Carbine w/ threaded barrel (bolt action)

Mossberg 500 with Pistol Grip

CZ Woodcock O/U (inside of the barrels are threaded for chokes... but who knows with CA)

I've heard that a threaded barrel is possibly considered a assault weapon... even on a rimfire pistol or a bolt action rifle. I was planning on picking up a muzzle brake (not FH) to screw onto my Ruger 22/45 and my Savage bolt action has a Advanced Armament Black Out Muzzle Brake on it.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=728

Are these setups legal?

Also, Body armor.... I have a fully setup armor with carrier IIIA soft and IV ceramic plates plates.... can I have this in CA? (I have no felony past)

Thanks for the help gents! Just want to make sure I do things right!

~Ryan

stix213
02-24-2012, 8:41 AM
The safe handgun roster (CA pistol list as you call it) is irrelevent to bringing a handgun here when you move. You are free to bring in off list pistols when moving here.

Threaded barrels on detachable mag pistols create an illegal AW. Get a new barrel or otherwise remove the threads. You can keep a threaded barrel as long as its not installed in the pistol while here.

AR-15's and AK's are legal as long as they are not specifically listed by make/model on the banned list. See the centerfire AW guide that is linked near the top of all pages for the complete list. See the same guide for how to properly configure your AR/AK also (usually you install a bullet button mag lock, run 10 round mags, and make sure at the shortest folded or collapsed position you are at least 30" over all length). AR's and AK's are arguably the most popular rifles being sold in CA right now.

Your shotguns sound fine.

jdberger
02-24-2012, 8:42 AM
The threaded barrel restrictions only apply to handguns, and maybe only semi-auto handguns (someone will chime in with clarification).

The "Handgun List" only applies to guns sold from dealer stock in CA to CA residents.

Tou might be able to bring your ARs and AKs with you, depending on configuration and manufacturer. See the Flowchart at the top of the page.

Body armor is fine.

jl123
The AR-15 and AK-47 pattern rifles, at worst you will need to swap out receivers and add bullet buttons. Can you give us makes and models?

tabrisnet
The Roster only applies to residents importing, and FFLs for selling. Since you are, at the time of your arrival here, not yet a resident, the handgun roster I believe does not apply to you.

Unless and until Librarian or someone else of similar stature says I'm wrong.

stix213
02-24-2012, 8:43 AM
I've heard that a threaded barrel is possibly considered a assault weapon... even on a rimfire pistol or a bolt action rifle. I was planning on picking up a muzzle brake (not FH) to screw onto my Ruger 22/45 and my Savage bolt action has a Advanced Armament Black Out Muzzle Brake on it.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=728

Are these setups legal?

Also, Body armor.... I have a fully setup armor with carrier IIIA soft and IV ceramic plates plates.... can I have this in CA? (I have no felony past)

Thanks for the help gents! Just want to make sure I do things right!

~Ryan

Partly incorrect. Threaded barrels are only a problem for detachable magazine pistols. Bolt action rifles can never be considered an AW. Flash hiders are only an issue on center fire semi auto rifles if you are running detachable mags (a bullet botton mag lock makes it fixed magazine, even though they can be detached via a tool).

Body armor is only restricted for past felons. People on the up and up can own body armor. Walking down the streets of SF with Level IV armor on will probably attract unwanted attention though :p

littlejake
02-24-2012, 8:45 AM
You have to look at two bans to determine what's legal in CA. I suggest you the assault weapon bans and the "high capacity" magazine bans.

Compare your guns to the flowcharts above where it says : Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide

Then make sure you do not bring magazines with greater than >10 round capacity. This includes arms with en bloc magazines. There are two exceptions to the 10 round limit -- rimfire tubular mags and lever action rifles with built in tubular magazines such as the old Winchesters.

Some of the rifles you mention may require the installation of a magazine lock device to make the weapon essentially a fixed magazine gun. Look at the flow chart and see if that leads to the "legal" path.

As for you body armor -- unless laws have changed, you may possess it. I believe the only prohibition is wearing body armor during the commission of a crime.

LikeAllGuns
02-24-2012, 8:50 AM
I understand a job will bring you here. But CA sucks I am looking for work outside of CA I want out. The laws suck, what you can do in other states will make a person a fellon hear.

CA sucks I was born here.

stix213
02-24-2012, 8:56 AM
You have to look at two bans to determine what's legal in CA. I suggest you the assault weapon bans and the "high capacity" magazine bans.

Compare your guns to the flowcharts above where it says : Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide

Then make sure you do not bring magazines with greater than >10 round capacity. This includes arms with en bloc magazines. There are two exceptions to the 10 round limit -- rimfire tubular mags and lever action rifles with built in tubular magazines such as the old Winchesters.

Some of the rifles you mention may require the installation of a magazine lock device to make the weapon essentially a fixed magazine gun. Look at the flow chart and see if that leads to the "legal" path.

As for you body armor -- unless laws have changed, you may possess it. I believe the only prohibition is wearing body armor during the commission of a crime.

Another exemption to the large cap mag import ban is if you have ever had these magazines within CA prior to 1/1/2000. Any mags that you had in here before are clear to come back. Still can't use them in fixed magazine semi-auto center fire rifles though (can configure as featureless instead of fixed magazine, but that's a whole nother thread lol)

jdberger
02-24-2012, 9:06 AM
Oh - and welcome to Calguns. ;)

BigDogatPlay
02-24-2012, 9:09 AM
Welcome aboard!

M&P45 w/o Mag safety or thumb safety (didnt see on CA pistol list) and I only have 10 round mags for this

^^^Good to go

Ruger MKIII 22/45 w/ threaded barrel (didnt see on CA pistol list) and I only have 10 round mags for this

^^^Threaded barrel on a detachable magazine pistol is a problem. Do not bring it here.

Ruger LCP (didnt see on CA pistol list)

^^^Good to go... and you might even be able to sell it at an exorbitant profit once you get here. ;)

Savage Precision Carbine w/ threaded barrel (bolt action)

^^^Good to go

Mossberg 500 with Pistol Grip

^^^Good to go so long as barrel is more than 18 inches (measured closed breech face to muzzle) and over all length is more than 26 inches

CZ Woodcock O/U (inside of the barrels are threaded for chokes... but who knows with CA)

^^^ Shotguns with choke tubes are good to go so long as the gun meets barrel and over all length requirements which a Woodcock totally will.

As others have noted above... the flowcharts linked at the top of the page are your friend. So long as you don't bring magazines with a capacity > 10 rounds, almost any handgun you could think of is going to be fine for you to bring into California as a new resident moving to the state. Once you get here, if you start buying guns, then the roster rules for handguns would affect you.

I think that if you mounted the compensator to your threaded barrel Ruger pistol, and modified it so that it is permanently attached that might be okay, but one of the members with an even deeper understanding of the minutia should weigh in and correct me if I am wrong.

Paging Librarian to the white courtesy phone please.

littlejake
02-24-2012, 9:43 AM
You also need to file this form for your handguns:
(New Resident Handgun Ownership Report) plus $19.00 per HG.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

FXR
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
As has been mentioned, the treaded barrel on the 22/45 is a problem. You can permanently attach a thread protector or muzzle device though, since the barrel's fixed it won't be an issue for takedown. There's some precedent (Walther iirc) for red loctite being acceptably permanent for a .22 pistol application, but epoxy or solder might be safer.

You can bring any off-roster pistols you want that aren't configured as AWs, and it might be worth buying anything you think you might want in the next few years now. If you change your mind, there's a robust market here for off-roster pistols.

If your ARs are "listed" as AWs, you can replace the lower with an off list lower for less than $100 each and set them up in a CA legal configuration. (Mag lock or featureless, see the flowchart) Just make sure you don't bring in the stripped banned lowers too.

Welcome!

Librarian
02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

Third new resident posting today!

jdberger
02-24-2012, 2:16 PM
Librarian rides to the rescue.

Drunk tank
02-24-2012, 6:07 PM
You also need to file this form for your handguns:
(New Resident Handgun Ownership Report) plus $19.00 per HG.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

What the duece??? I have to REGISTER my damn pistols???? How will they know if I dont? Are you required to carry around some card saying, "Im registered"?

Also, I wont be buying any firearms while in CA since I wont be becoming a resident. My residence will be maintained in Colorado and I will be traveling between the two states. Corporate is giving me money to pick up a annex place to stay out there.

BTW... anyone know of decent places to live between the south side of freemont and down that strip to San Jose proper? I need a place with a garage (must have) and 2 bedrooms would be nice (or one bedroom and a guest room). I have never even been to San Jose so I have absolutely no idea what to expect. All I know is itll be warmer than CO but not as hot as PHX... so I should be pretty happy about that.

Thanks for all the help guys! Im gonna order a little muzzle brake for the 22/45, drill it and drop some solder in it. Figure once I leave the state, I'll just cut it in half and split it off of there.

Librarian
02-24-2012, 6:57 PM
What the duece??? I have to REGISTER my damn pistols???? How will they know if I dont? Are you required to carry around some card saying, "Im registered"?

Also, I wont be buying any firearms while in CA since I wont be becoming a resident. My residence will be maintained in Colorado and I will be traveling between the two states. Corporate is giving me money to pick up a annex place to stay out there.

If you're 'just visiting', then the registration requirement does not apply.

There's no legal standard for how long you can visit before some busybody wonders why you have not become a resident, but for a lot of purposes it's a year before CA will 'accept' that you are a resident.

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Federal_residency_requirements

ArcherDog
02-24-2012, 7:25 PM
Hey Ryan, I just wanted to say I'm not real knowledgeable on the laws but I will probably be working on the Berryessa Extension eventually. I currently work in Fremont on the BART Warm Springs Extension, which should hopefully be done this summer. We'll have to go shooting sometime.

PM me if you need anything else :)

MrSmitty
02-24-2012, 7:55 PM
Hey Drunk tank, I'm in Colorado right now, but will be going back to In, and then to Va, if you want just leave any unused, or un-needed AR's, or AK''s with me when you get out of Solitary...uh Khaliphornia, I'll give 'em back........

Dreaded Claymore
02-24-2012, 8:06 PM
I was going to come in to this thread and answer all your questions, but they've all been well answered already. Welcome to Calguns. The flowcharts (link at the top of the page, in the blue bar just below the ads) are your friends. Even some police departments use them!

ldivinag
02-24-2012, 9:33 PM
wait... are you a rapper?

then body armor is a no... lol...