PDA

View Full Version : IDPA questions...holster, gun, etc.

kdm
02-24-2012, 8:05 AM
Starting IDPA soon...will be taking the safety clinic in May at Sac Valley. Trying to choose between my Beretta M9 and Colt 1991...should the choice be based on which I'm more accurate with, or is there an advantage to be had with one over the other? Can you recommend an appropriate holster for either / both?

9mmepiphany
02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
The Beretta would put you into SSP (production/stock) class where most folks will be shooting 9mm guns loaded to 10 rounds in their magazines

The 1911 would put you in CDP where you'll be shooting against other folks shooting .45ACP chambered pistols loaded to 8 rounds in their magazines.

If you've had custom work done on your gun, you might fall into ESP (Enhanced)...which is the catch all for folks who like to mod their SA guns.

I believe that accuracy should be your primary concern in making that choice. You'll have a lot of things to think about running the COF, you shouldn't have to worry about the accuracy of your gun.

A lot of folks starting out get the economically priced Fobus Paddle holster. A nice holster for IDPA are ones from Blade-Tech

HighLander51
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Your best bet is the BladeTech, and a Fobus double mag pouch, plus a Wilderness Tactical Belt. If you have any money left over, get the Peltor Tac 6 electric ears. That's all the equipment you need to start and it will last for decades.

aermotor
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I would not get a Fobus holster, pain in the arse, sticky draw, causes problems for me and my friends who have them (although their mag holsters are fine).

I'd get something Kydex like Uncle Mike's which can be found for dirty cheap and are really great holsters or a nice leather one if you're going with a 1911. I'd also get a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs.

For what it's worth, I have never seen someone shooting a Beretta. I would go with your 1911.

BKinzey
02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Kydex is definitely the holster to get. Blade-Tech is an excellent brand. I used a Kytac brand for IDPA. Check on the IDPA web site for the list of approved holsters.

The belt is important. As mentioned Wilderness is excellent. 1.5" to 2" stiff belt. I used a nylon with a stiffener sewn in it, works well and was made to carry a handgun.

In IDPA there is a physical difference in shooting steel knockdown targets between 9mm and .45. I started out using a 9mm 226 and while the "extra" rounds in the mag was nice I found with steel knockdown targets I had to have a solid hit or occasionally the steel wouldn't drop :(. When I changed to a .45 1911 that pretty much went away but recoil is greater. There were a few people who compromised by having a 1911 built in .40:cool:

I really enjoyed IDPA and I'll offer advice from Wyatt Earp: "Take your time in a hurry." Oh, and another favorite phrase: "You can't miss fast enough to win."

HighLander51
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
For what it's worth, I have never seen someone shooting a Beretta. I would go with your 1911.[/QUOTE]

You don't see as many as you used to in the beginning of IDPA, but a newbie is still better off to start with a double action wide body gun shooting minor floor than a 1911. And like in USPSA, about half the guns are Glocks and the other half are 1911's.

Ben Stoeger does very well with a Beretta.

http://benstoeger.com/

BoJackUSMC
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
This is my set up right as of right now for my SA 1911 9mm:
http://www.blade-tech.com/SRB-Sting-Ray-Belt-Holster-IDPA-Approved-pr-939.html

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/OWBMagCarrier/tabid/122/List/0/ProductID/15/CategoryID/2/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

I am planning to use it for IDPA and tactical practice shooting when I go out to BLM.

aermotor
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Bladetech's are great I guess, but the price is just unjustified. Unkle Mike's Kydex for $22 to my door off Amazon Prime. Cannot beat it.

IDPA no longer maintains an "Approved Holsters" list.

IDPA-approved holsters will be strong-side hip holsters or inside-the waistband holsters which cover the trigger guard and which have no cut-aways, drop, or offset, except that a limited amount of drop and offset is allowed for women. Holsters must be practical for all-day concealed-carry use. In a nutshell, IDPA requires "working" holsters, not competition holsters.

Re: Beretta vs. 1911 — Shoot what you're comfortable width. Double action vs. Single Actions matters not. Shoot what you like shooting. I can guarantee you'll enjoy the 1911 more though I think.

kdm
02-24-2012, 6:38 PM
Thanks, guys...I'll investigate your comments and suggestions.

sactobill
03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
I signed up for the April 7th clinic. Will be my first time shooting IDPA and will be using my S&W 686. Any other newbies attending this class?

negolien
04-01-2012, 3:35 AM
IMO the Safariland 568 paddle is a fine choice..http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=568

and for mags the
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=572

HighLander51
04-01-2012, 7:11 AM
In IDPA there is a physical difference in shooting steel knockdown targets between 9mm and .45. I started out using a 9mm 226 and while the "extra" rounds in the mag was nice I found with steel knockdown targets I had to have a solid hit or occasionally the steel wouldn't drop :(. When I changed to a .45 1911 that pretty much went away but recoil is greater.

All steel has to be calibrated to the minimum power floor, in IDPA it was lowered from 125 to 105 in Jan 2011 to accommodate SSR division. That will almost go over with a .22LR. If you are not knocking down steel with a 9mm, it's either a low hit or the steel is not calibrated.

Turbinator
04-01-2012, 10:43 AM
All steel has to be calibrated to the minimum power floor, in IDPA it was lowered from 125 to 105 in Jan 2011 to accommodate SSR division. That will almost go over with a .22LR. If you are not knocking down steel with a 9mm, it's either a low hit or the steel is not calibrated.

Yup. I've done IDPA before and did just fine with 9mm on the steel.

Turby

schneiderguy
04-01-2012, 5:48 PM
Bladetech's are great I guess, but the price is just unjustified. Unkle Mike's Kydex for $22 to my door off Amazon Prime. Cannot beat it.

I'd rather buy a high quality holster that isn't made in China for $70 than a cheapo one for $22.

VictorFranko
04-01-2012, 6:04 PM
+1 on a Wilderness belt
+1 on BladeTech Kydex holster (the Bobby McGee set will get you a double mag holster also)
+1 on the Beretta not being the weapon of choice for IDPA.

As far as a .22 knocking down steel poppers, surely not anywhere I have shot IDPA :p

HighLander51
04-01-2012, 6:38 PM
As far as a .22 knocking down steel poppers, surely not anywhere I have shot IDPA :p

Of course not because .22LR is not allowed in IDPA, and that's not what I stated, but a 105 minimum floor is well within the ability of a .22LR to topple steel. Try it for yourself.

dobek
04-01-2012, 7:02 PM
Sactobill - I'm taking orientation on the 7th as well - I'll see you there - never competed before, but want more experience in carry situations. Please I've gone out and watched couple months back - seems like a lot of fun and a bunch of nice guys

Steve

sactobill
04-01-2012, 8:46 PM
Hey Steve,

See you there. It'll be fun. I think I'll be the only wheel gun there. :)

Bill

Gryff
04-02-2012, 6:40 AM
Late to the thread, but wanted to post a couple of thoughts.

#1: Start with the gun that you are most comfortable with. If you are new to competition, you'll find that it is likely to put stress on you that you are not used to while shooting a gun. So I always recommend to start competing with the gun that you are most used to/comfortable with so that you have muscle memory on your side.

#2: Most people's tastes evolve over time, so be careful about over-spending on your gear right at the start. Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac holsters are the best choice if you take competition seriously, but it hurts to drop $75-125 on a holster/mag pouch combo only to find later that the gun you bought that gear for isn't what you want to keep using. If cost isn't an option, then no big deal. But if it is, you might start with a lower-end holster like a Fobus and then plan on upgrading once you are sure you are using the gun that you want.