PDA

View Full Version : Ruger revolvers trigger jobs

uxo2
02-24-2012, 8:57 AM
For years I despised ruger DA revolvers until today.
I picked up a Super Redhawk in .44mag

It had the typical heavy DA and SA trigger that the Lawyers
require and started my search
on goggle for some trigger work.

I was blown away that it was glock simple to dismantle
the trigger assembly.
A punch.:facepalm:

The first link I found was this one.
http://triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

A lot more searching and this one came up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqticFg9q8

After more research
I did it...

Did the shim thing and replaced the
trigger return spring.
The OEM hammer spring was left in place.
Also I polished the same areas the Yoda guy did.
Just polished...No angles changed.

End result....
IMHO
Comparable to custom work without the PRICE
and wait time.

If your a DIY type and know your limits.
Go for it..

Again....
know your abilities because many a gunsmith
has gotten rich off of people
who thought they could...And FAILED..

Did I mention I am contemplating Selling
my 686 for a SP101 or GP100...:facepalm:

gorenut
02-24-2012, 9:02 AM
I've been wanting to pick up another GP100 just to do a trigger job on it as well.

redhemi
02-24-2012, 9:18 AM
I did a trigger job on my GP100 and I'll put it up against any S&W. I also did my Security Six to smooth out the action but not lighten the pull as much as my GP. I do have a Redhawk 44 but I have not touched it because I like the way it is right now.

If you have a little patience and the right tools it's not that difficult to do.

shadowofnight
02-24-2012, 9:44 AM
I did trigger jobs ( Plus lighter springs from the wolff packs ) on my GP100...security six and both super redhawks. I sold the GP100 ( Had the 6" barrel, would have kept it if it had the 4" ) and one of the super redhawks, and my still with me security six and super redhawk are my favorite revolvers.

Never a misfire or light primer strike, even with the lightened wolff springs and using CCI primers.

As you mentioned, never changed angles...just polished mating surfaces with Flitz and installed the wolff springs. Totally worth the effort.

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Most will tell you Rugers will smooth out after a thousand or two rounds. You essentially hastened the process.

My KP90 bottom feeder is noticably smoother than it was out of the box. I actually HAD some work done but I think a couple K rounds downrange improved it even more.

ckprax
02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
They clean up well, just not that great out of the box. The trigger on my SP101 was absolutely terrible out of the box, I dry fired it several thousand times and finally did a very light polish to the internals, it is very nice now. Not as nice as my S&W's but I am sure I could get it there with a little more flitz.

uxo2
02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes...using them and dry firing will smooth them out.

But these easy to do mods are very impressive
and IMHO give better results than leaving it as is.

As mentioned
I left the original hammer spring for ignition reliability

dfletcher
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
That hammer/mainspring combo on the Ruger Redhawk has always given me fits. It's not true that swearing louder helps, though once I viewed the Ruger "how to" video it got easy.