PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to AAA Sporting Goods in Vallejo

drkphibr
02-24-2012, 7:27 AM
Just want to acknowledge a local shop that has continued to impress me and set itself apart from other shops in the bay area.

Staff - plenty of them behind the counter at all times and very helpful. No attitude (they aren't there to kiss your a**, but they don't tell you to pound sand either).
Location - been to better, been to worse. It is what it is.
Selection - probably the widest selection of in stock firearms in the bay area, hands down.
Prices - tagged prices are competitive with shops in the bay area. What sets AAA apart is their willingness to negotiate. Throw and offer out there and they will do their best to work with you. Haven't found that in ANY other shop around the bay area.
Accessories - again, one of the widest selections in the bay area on gear.
Reloading - recently started carrying reloading supplies and the pricing is at gun show levels (e.g., $21/lb powders and $35/box CCI primers) and no parking or show fees to pay). For primers, that's internet pricing without the hazmat or shipping fees too.
Used/consignment - again, one of, if not the largest, selection of used firearms.

Nothing short of a great toy store for me.

ChaneRZ
02-24-2012, 7:32 AM
They have been great to me too. They could lower the price from their msrp.

drkphibr
02-24-2012, 9:30 AM
I look at MSRP for any item as a starting point at a shop. As with any business, repeat customers are valuable and never ceases to amaze me when a shop doesn't treat all customers as the potential for repeat business. Many ways to do this from customer service, knowledgeable and helpful staff, selection and pricing.

So many shops have a "take it or leave it" attitude when you ask how firm the price is. Obviously, that involves some tact on the buyer's side as well. If a shop is bustling with business and has customers 2 or 3 deep to spend money, the likelihood of trying to negotiate a great deal is less likely.

However, if it's a slower day and you're looking to "break the ice" with a solid purchase (firearm vs. low cost accessories or supplies, but everything helps to build a business/customer relationship) there is potential to negotiate a better deal than MSRP.

For shops that treat their customers decently, I've tended to return and my purchases have grown from picking up some useful accessories to larger purchases. I prefer supporting a local shop as it's a win-win for both of us. If I get continually ignored or receive rude treatment, I'll find another shop or go online.

Each time I've done business with AAA, I'm more impressed than the previous transaction. Money talks and I don't mind spending it with the team at AAA. Aris has a great shop and the amount of business they do reflects that.

jlbflyboy172
02-24-2012, 9:31 AM
Yes and top of all that was said above, they do private party transfers. They do they quickly, they don't give you grief and they don't put you to the back of the line like what happened to me at Guns & Gear in Vacaville. AAA is a great place to take your business.

drkphibr
02-24-2012, 9:49 AM
Yes and top of all that was said above, they do private party transfers. They do they quickly, they don't give you grief and they don't put you to the back of the line like what happened to me at Guns & Gear in Vacaville. AAA is a great place to take your business.

A PPT is what initially brought me to AAA. The PPT transaction was treated the same as other purchases I've subsequently made and exactly why I became a repeat customer. No second class treatment for PPTs at all. Quite refreshing compared to other shops that process the PPT as a favor to to you that it pains them to do (there are other shops I will never step back into because of the PPT "perspective"). Paperwork and time (think south bay) is quite fast and painless.

bodega bob
02-24-2012, 3:09 PM
I agree they are a good shop. I found knowledgeable people without any bad attitude.
The selection was good and the price was reasonable, so I just happily paid up.
I first found about them at a gun show, where they were quite busy, but still took time to take care of me. I'll be back.

M1A1TankerTom
02-24-2012, 3:21 PM
when I lived in Vallejo I bought a few guns from AAA. I 100% agree with all of the great things said above. Hands down my favorite gun shop I have been to in the bay area.

SgtMerc
02-24-2012, 8:20 PM
I agree with all of the above. My first pistol purchase was from AAA. I had shopped around several stores in the bay area, and none had the pistol i was looking for. I went to their door right at closing time, and they buzzed me in. They asked me what i was looking for, and i told them i was looking for either a Kimber Custom II or a TLE II. Despite it being closing time, they stayed an additional 30 minutes after closing to get my paperwork and DROS completed.

I came in a few days later after doing some more research, and decided that i wanted to upgrade from a custom II to a TLE II strictly for the three dot tritium sights. They informed me that if i upgraded to a TLE II, i would have to start the 10 day waiting period over again because it is a completely different model pistol, but if i just paid the difference for a custom II with custom sights, there would only be a serial number change.

These guys are awesome to work with, and really seem to care about their customers. I made my purchase back in October, and when i went in there last week to buy my GSG1911-22, they remembered me, and even asked how i was enjoying my kimber.

Now, if only they had an indoor range. Can't have everything, right?

gant
02-24-2012, 8:26 PM
i purchased my first gun there, there a good store with nice selection prices are a little bit on the high side IMO

pwgfalcon
02-24-2012, 8:27 PM
Outstanding in all respects. I have purchased 6 guns and PPT 4 in the last few months. Aris and his staff are Triple A in my book.

gant
02-24-2012, 8:30 PM
two things i just dont like about triple A

1. almost all gun shops i call will give price quotes over the phone, triple A wont

even though i live in town i dont want to go in just to see the price,

2. with vallejo being so hot lately id rather not venture on that side of town

last month there was a drive-by, next door at the barber shop (supposdely some drug stuff going on in the barber shop next door), one of aries's vans got the window shot out during this drive by

drkphibr
02-27-2012, 7:19 AM

1. almost all gun shops i call will give price quotes over the phone, triple A wont

last month there was a drive-by, next door at the barber shop (supposdely some drug stuff going on in the barber shop next door), one of aries's vans got the window shot out during this drive by

Prior to my last purchase I was given the price over the phone so I don't know if that's a store policy thing or who just happened to answer the phone. If I lived in Vallejo, I'd be in that shop WAY more than I should be and I have no doubt my wallet would be considerably lighter on a regular basis.

As for not such a great area...no disagreement there. It is what it is. The unfortunate trade off of a great shop in an area that has its issues.

ontmark
02-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Good shop
They will work with you.
I don't go there often but seems like Aries knows me almost by name.

shermansaelio
02-27-2012, 8:26 PM
Best Gun shop in the Bay Area hands down!...I bought over 10 guns from Triple A's all the employee is very friendly easy to deal with never have any problem unlike other gun shop around the bay...BTW I have a Colt 1911 in jail at at Triple A's now.

masameet
02-28-2012, 2:27 PM

1. Build a rapport with Aris and he'll treat you fairly. Along with giving me advice over the phone, he has also quoted prices. One time at his shop he offered me some of his lunch. Nice guy.

If you're looking to see how competitive his prices are compared to other shops, use Davidson's/Gallery of Guns' Gun Genie (http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx). If you've bought a few firearms from him, he may lower his price if you negotiate.

2. You know that the Vallejo Police Department is just around the corner from Triple A, right? In fact, one late afternoon a VPD motor and I chatted right outside Triple A's door and on another day I waited as a plainclothes detective transacted his business. As a resident, you know that VPD is understaffed and gets mutual assistance from Solano County SO and the CHP.

Anyway of the dozen or so times I've been to his store, nobody's been shooting outside of his door, nobody's tried to rob me outside of his door, and nobody's tried to pull a robbery while I was inside his store. Still YMMV.

DArBad
02-28-2012, 2:42 PM
I like Aris a lot and his staff. I've been dealing with them for several years now and bought several guns from them.

That aside, I've noticed lately that his prices had gone through the roof and is quite inflexible. I would like to buy a few more guns but I will buy elsewhere.

dobsy5111
02-28-2012, 2:50 PM
agreed, it's my fav gun shop in the bay. it's pretty far from me which is a good thing. i'd be there way too much if it was close. they are generally cool, but if you generate rapport with them, they are more flexible with things. very wide selection of guns IN STOCK. initially, i've been told they can't quote over the phone, but if they know you they will.