PDA

View Full Version : Which ammo is NOT legal in california?

glock600rr
02-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Can anyone name the brands/types of ammo that is NOT legal for use in california. I want to pick up some personal defense ammo online for home defense and am looking at picking up some of the following:

9mm Hornady Critical Defense 115gr Hollow Point
9mm Hollow point 115gr Winchester Ranger JHP
9mm Speer Gold Dot

Are these okay to use? Some of these say "Law Enforcement" so I'm not sure if one can get in trouble for using these in a self-defense situation. Also, can anyone confirm if it is okay to ship ammo to your home in Alameda County?

Thanks in advance!

Librarian
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
'Law Enforcement' means nothing to legality.

Tracers are illegal, except for shotguns; they're destructive devices per PC 16460.

Armor-piercing ammo for handguns is illegal. (PC 30315).

drifter2be
02-24-2012, 12:57 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

Page 17.

Short answer is if its not explosive or a tracer you are good to go. Those ones that say "law enforcement" are no more restricted in a legal sense to law enforcement use than Eotechs be limited by having "Military and Law Enforcement use" on the side of them.

Personally, I would also recommend something heavier than a 115 gr JHP for defensive use.

Couldn't tell you about shipping to Alameda, but there is this cool thing called Google, that may be able to help you with that one.;)

RRichie09
02-24-2012, 1:01 AM
I thought black evil looking ammo and ammo used to defend oneself from criminals was illegal as well? :shrug:

glock600rr
02-24-2012, 1:02 AM
thanks for the feedback! anyone know specifically if ammo can be shipped to fremont? i've googled and surprisingly i can't find a straight forward answer...

hyperion.excal
02-24-2012, 1:33 AM
Critical defense is a good choice

Shenaniguns
02-24-2012, 5:46 AM
Critical Defense is not only a bad choice from DocGKR's testing.

gschoelles
02-24-2012, 5:58 AM
He's in Freemont and should be aware that San Francisco has some ammo laws that are restrictive.

elemetal
02-24-2012, 6:32 AM
I've ordered off the internet and had it sent UPS to my door, no issues. That's in Oakland (Alameda county) so you should be GTG in Fremont or Alameda.

115 gr is fine for targets but as the others said, a little light for HD (ballistics on 124 and 145 are pretty good).

REPR
02-24-2012, 7:28 AM
'Law Enforcement' means nothing to legality.

Tracers are illegal, except for shotguns; they're destructive devices per PC 16460.

Armor-piercing ammo for handguns is illegal. (PC 30315).

I can't believe you forgot the most important ammo Librarian. You know, the purple bullet that paralyzes you no matter where it hits :D

On a serious note I prefer Federal HST. My personal round being the P9HST3, although all Federal HST performs well even through thick layers.

GMANtt
02-24-2012, 7:57 AM
Side question:

I thought it was common knowledge to shoot HD grain with the grain you are used to practicing with. Target practice with 115 shoot HD 115. More grain ='s something you're not used to.

97F1504RAD
02-24-2012, 8:14 AM
He's in Freemont and should be aware that San Francisco has some ammo laws that are restrictive.

What does Fremont have to do with San Fransisco's ammo laws?

OP all ammo listed is good buy and have it shipped directly to your door.

gschoelles
02-24-2012, 8:21 AM
What does Fremont have to do with San Fransisco's ammo laws?

OP all ammo listed is good buy and have it shipped directly to your door.

He has a greater chance of passing through San Francisco than someone in San Diego.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Army
02-24-2012, 8:38 AM
He has a greater chance of passing through San Francisco than someone in San Diego.
And?

SF may restrict shipping of ammunition into the city, but they cannot outlaw someone "passing through" who happens to have ammunition in their vehicle.

RUSSIAN
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Not sure what sf has to with it either....
Your GTG in alameda county. I live in Livermore and order ammo to my door. Can't buy any in Walmart though:facepalm:

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
9mm Hornady Critical Defense 115gr Hollow Point
9mm Hollow point 115gr Winchester Ranger JHP
9mm Speer Gold Dot

You listed those OP?

Assuming they run well in your pistol those are fine ammo but look into some of these brands.

Winchester Ranger +P 115/124 grain HP. (they do make a +P+ but up to you if you want to run it that hot).

Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. Very good stuff, if I recall NYPD uses it. Great rounds and quality.

Federal 147 HST I've only read good things about but never ran it myself except in others pistols. Some people swear by the 147 grain.

Its legal to own them and buy them, if your city has a local thing prohibiting buying them in city limits thats something different though.

Lead Waster
02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I thought black evil looking ammo and ammo used to defend oneself from criminals was illegal as well? :shrug:

Only ammo with scary names like "Black talon" are illegal.

chadd446
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I could be wrong, but I think as of Feb 1st 2012 now more handgun sales over the internet. Please say I'm wrong.
Saw it on D.O.J. website.

Shenaniguns
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I could be wrong, but I think as of Feb 1st 2012 now more handgun sales over the internet. Please say I'm wrong.

Post it.

5thgen4runner
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM

What if I had some from a while back? Are the really illegal ?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

chadd446
02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Post it.

You are as capable as I am to go to D.O.J and look at new firearm laws. I already have two kids. I can't hold your hand also.

glock600rr
02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
thanks everyone on the shipping advice! just put in an order with sgammo.com. can anyone in fremont/alameda county confirm if the wincester ranger jhp are legal to use? i see responses above saying they should be ok in the state of ca but nothing specific to my area.

glock600rr
02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
You are as capable as I am to go to D.O.J and look at new firearm laws. I already have two kids. I can't hold your hand also.

no more handgun sales online shipping to a ffl in california?! if this is true can someone confirm?

chadd446
02-24-2012, 11:16 AM
AB 962 (Stats. 2009, ch. 628)
Handgun ammunition must be displayed in a manner that makes the ammunition inaccessible to a purchaser or transferee, and requires the assistance of the vendor or an employee of the vendor. ( 12061.) 1
An employee of a handgun ammunition vendor, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, cannot handle, sell, or deliver handgun ammunition in the course and scope of his or her employment. ( 12061.)
No one shall supply, deliver, or give ammunition to a minor who is prohibited from possessing ammunition pursuant to section 12101. ( 12316.)
Any person who is enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang is prohibited from possessing ammunition. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12316.)
Beginning February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of handgun ammunition must occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the recipient providing bona fide evidence of his or her identity and age, subject to specified exceptions. Non-face-to-face transfers, such as internet transactions and mail order deliveries are prohibited. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12318.)
Beginning February 1, 2011, handgun ammunition vendors must obtain a thumbprint and other information related to handgun ammunition transactions subject to specified exceptions (including transfers to peace officers who are authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope their duties). The information must be retained by the vendor for five years from the date of the transaction. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12061.)

dan12580
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM

A witty yet rude retort should never follow such terrible information.

dan12580
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
962 was overturned/defeated.

Speedpower
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM

You must have been in hibernation for a year :facepalm:

chadd446
02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I just went to Wal-mart and all the ammo was pulled of the shelf and lock up. The guy there said as of Feb. 1st they had to lock it all up. Hopefully they are wrong?

RRichie09
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM

You will be happy to know that you are wrong.

Lead Waster
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
My Walmart's ammo is locked in a glass display case, I would consider that "locked up" too. Well, except shotgun BIRDSHOT shells which were all over the shelves (probably for hunting season). Buckshot was in the glass case.

They now lock it up in the back somewhere?

repubconserv
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
What if I had some from a while back? Are the really illegal ?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

So not illegal. If you still have some, go shoot it, or keep it, or sell it. The only reason you don't hear about them anymore is because they are outdated. There are better options now for SD ammo

stix213
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM

There are no restrictive ammo laws in SF that apply to possession. Bring all the puppy exploding hollow points into the city that you want.

There are restrictions on their sale within the city, and many websites will not ship ammo to individuals in the city (though there is some debate whether shipping ammo to SF is actually banned or not by city/county ordinance).

Librarian
02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
AB 962 (Stats. 2009, ch. 628)
Handgun ammunition must be displayed in a manner that makes the ammunition inaccessible to a purchaser or transferee, and requires the assistance of the vendor or an employee of the vendor. ( 12061.1)

An employee of a handgun ammunition vendor, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, cannot handle, sell, or deliver handgun ammunition in the course and scope of his or her employment. ( 12061.)

No one shall supply, deliver, or give ammunition to a minor who is prohibited from possessing ammunition pursuant to section 12101. ( 12316.)

Any person who is enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang is prohibited from possessing ammunition. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12316.)

Beginning February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of handgun ammunition must occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the recipient providing bona fide evidence of his or her identity and age, subject to specified exceptions. Non-face-to-face transfers, such as internet transactions and mail order deliveries are prohibited. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12318.)

Beginning February 1, 2011, handgun ammunition vendors must obtain a thumbprint and other information related to handgun ammunition transactions subject to specified exceptions (including transfers to peace officers who are authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope their duties). The information must be retained by the vendor for five years from the date of the transaction. A violation is a misdemeanor. ( 12061.)

Bolded parts are not law, even though there they are.

They were introduced by AB962, and were thrown out in Parker vs California (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Parker_v._California) - permanent injunction against enforcement, Jan 20, 2011

Mr.1904
02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
thanks everyone on the shipping advice! just put in an order with sgammo.com. can anyone in fremont/alameda county confirm if the wincester ranger jhp are legal to use? i see responses above saying they should be ok in the state of ca but nothing specific to my area.

You're good to go man. Only ammo you legally cant use is tracers and Armor Piercing for pistols

chadd446
02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Bolded parts are not law, even though there they are.

They were introduced by AB962, and were thrown out in Parker vs California (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Parker_v._California) - permanent injunction against enforcement, Jan 20, 2011

Thanks. Now I will stop freaking out.

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 1:13 PM
Black Talons aren't illegal. Winchester discontinued them for political reasons.

The SXT is the Same Xact Thing.

97F1504RAD
02-24-2012, 1:42 PM

Black Talon ammo is NOT illegal..

I would suggest that all of you saying things such as this is illegal or that is illegal or I heard this is illegal, should stop and find out the truth not post what you think is the rule or law. This is how bad misinformation gets spread about and you are not helping the OP get his question answered and merely making him more confused.

OP there is Nothing preventing you from owning or using any of the ammo listed in fact the only ammo that is illegal in California is Tracer and Handgun Armour Piercing

beatstanfurd
02-24-2012, 5:40 PM
thanks for the feedback! anyone know specifically if ammo can be shipped to fremont? i've googled and surprisingly i can't find a straight forward answer...

Yes it can, but if still unsure, send it to my house and hopefully it doesn't get lost in the mail :p

I've had Cabelas, Jack Ross, and Freedom Munitions send to Fremont.

Librarian
02-24-2012, 5:46 PM

Generally, criminal laws run to 'thou shalt not ...'; if you can't find one specifically forbidding some act, then whatever it is is almost certainly** legal.

** 'almost certainly' because sometimes laws call 'what you think of' by 'some other term' and you might not know that.

Safety1st
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM

Yes, they are 100% legal. Be advised though that some indoor ranges don't allow JHP's. Just ask around to see which ranges do so you can practice with your SD ammo.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM

A Deputy Sheriff that comes to my work just told me last night they banned that ammo and downgraded to NOT AS lethal ammo... but what I didnt understand, if you shoot in the right place any ammo can have a deadly effect. Either way, Black Talon sounds pretty evil.

Socalman
02-28-2012, 5:12 PM
The online retailers will know if they can ship to you. Many even have a box to check to see if they can ship an item to your zip code.

GMANtt
02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
A Deputy Sheriff that comes to my work just told me last night they banned that ammo and downgraded to NOT AS lethal ammo... but what I didnt understand, if you shoot in the right place any ammo can have a deadly effect. Either way, Black Talon sounds pretty evil.

Love it when Sheriffs dont know what they're talking about.

SoulStealer
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Black Talon ammo is NOT illegal..

I would suggest that all of you saying things such as this is illegal or that is illegal or I heard this is illegal, should stop and find out the truth not post what you think is the rule or law. This is how bad misinformation gets spread about and you are not helping the OP get his question answered and merely making him more confused.

OP there is Nothing preventing you from owning or using any of the ammo listed in fact the only ammo that is illegal in California is Tracer and Handgun Armour Piercing

This exactly!! Let us stick to facts and not what we think!

chrisf
02-29-2012, 1:55 AM
Alameda county is good to go with the exception of oakland I believe. Don't quote me on the oakland but I'm pretty sure. I live in hayward so yes its gtg unless you live in oakland.

vincnet11
02-29-2012, 2:33 AM
Alameda county is good to go with the exception of oakland I believe. Don't quote me on the oakland but I'm pretty sure. I live in hayward so yes its gtg unless you live in oakland.I can name some online retailers shipping to Oakland, The major cities like SF and LA are mostly the ones online retailers refuse to ship to.

Fremont is the least of your worries when it comes to shipping ammo. OP is GTG.

wghandy
02-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I live in Fremont and have had ammo shipped to my house. I've ordered from Cabella's & Ammoman. Both just leave it at my front door if i'm not home.