PDA

View Full Version : Question about pistols accommodating interchangeable barrels

adrenalinejunkie
02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm still trying to decide which pistol and in which caliber I want to get. I know some Glocks, M&P's, and XD's have interchangeable barrels. Are there any other pistols with tangible hammers and safety's with which the barrels can be interchanged (preferably between .45 and 9mm)?

chuckdc
02-24-2012, 7:12 AM
I'm still trying to decide which pistol and in which caliber I want to get. I know some Glocks, M&P's, and XD's have interchangeable barrels. Are there any other pistols with tangible hammers and safety's with which the barrels can be interchanged (preferably between .45 and 9mm)?

.45 and 9 is going to be tougher than say .40 and 9mm. The difference in size between .45 and 9 is considerable, and not a lot of handguns make that swap without it being a whole top-end change, rather than just a barrel. The one I have experience with (1911s), I had to go to a different slide to have a 9mm conversion because the breechface, extractor and ejector are all very different.

TheHammerOfTruth
02-24-2012, 7:16 AM
OP, take a look at the Sig Sauer P250. It has interchangable uppers and lowers. Once you purchase one pistol you can make many different configurations out of it.

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't know that all of your criteria can be met, particularly for a .45 to 9mm swap. It seems that most manufacturers offer a pistol in .40 s&w that can accommodate a barrel to shoot .357 sig. The Sig p series is one example and the magazines are even marked .40/.357sig. I have come to understand that these pistols can take a conversion barrel for 9mm as well. You will have to look into each particular manufacturer to see what they say about the spring rates and extractor. I am fairly certain Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, and Sig P-series pistols can swap from the .40 or .357sig models down to 9mm without having change out the slide. Good luck finding any of those models with a thumb safety. M&P is the only one I know of that has that option, but it is not readily available.

adrenalinejunkie
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Hm alright thanks for the info guys. Guess i'm going with a 9mm first then saving up for a .45 in the future haha.

agent.5
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Are there any other pistols with tangible hammers and safety's with which the barrels can be interchanged (preferably between .45 and 9mm)?

SVI Infinity 1911 and 2011