PDA

View Full Version : XD40 to 9mm - Just Swap Barrels?

RickRyder
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
So I have read a few places that people with XD40's are buying XD9 barrels and mags and dropping them in, thus converting the XD40 to a 9mm, or, basically having a dual caliber gun. Now I knew that the XD40 could fire .357 sig with just a barrel swap, but can the XD40 support an XD9 barrel as well? Obviously you would need the barrel and 9mm magazine, but is that it? Simple as that? Does anyone have any actual first hand experience with this? Not to sound rude, but I could care less to hear what your friend did or what you over heard at the gun store, I'm looking for factual answers.

Thanks!

hefedehefe
02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes and you can use the .40 mags if you want

hefedehefe
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I know the Silver Lake barrels work good

quig
02-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes. This will work.

However, when I tried it, I began having issues. Not all 9mm may be reliable. You may have to look into a different recoil spring.

Maybe not. Maybe it will work without issues.

The thing is, why do you want to make it a 9mm? 9 is not that much cheaper than 40. My practice ammo is $100/500rds of 40. Compared to $90/500rds of 9mm. By the time you pay for the barrel and mags, you could have shot several thousand rounds of 40.

Also, I wouldn't trust a conversion in a self defense gun.

Just some things to think about.

Good Luck.

RickRyder
02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes. This will work.

However, when I tried it, I began having issues. Not all 9mm may be reliable. You may have to look into a different recoil spring.

Maybe not. Maybe it will work without issues.

The thing is, why do you want to make it a 9mm? 9 is not that much cheaper than 40. My practice ammo is $100/500rds of 40. Compared to $90/500rds of 9mm. By the time you pay for the barrel and mags, you could have shot several thousand rounds of 40.

Also, I wouldn't trust a conversion in a self defense gun.

Just some things to think about.

Good Luck.

Honestly I was initially thinking that 9mm would be cheaper for range shooting, but with that small of a difference, maybe this whole idea is just pointless? As far as in home, I will keep the XD40 in its factory configuration.

quig
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Didn't mean to talk you out of it, but it was a waste of my time.

I did end up buying a separate XD9 for my wife's HD gun. This one I trust for HD.