PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 FULL SIZE EJECTION PROBLEM

AWARCORP
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Please let me know if you have some helpful insight. The bullet fires, but the brass round does not eject and the slide stop doesn’t move at all.

I have shot 4,000 to 4,500 rounds fired during the last five years.

Is it the recoil spring—does it need to be replaced?

Or is it something else?

Its not the ammo and I have not changed magazines.

Thanks!

t0kie
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Check the extractor, could be the culprit (may be broken or improperly tuned).

AWARCORP
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
how does one tune an extractor? thanks

hornswaggled
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Remove the slide from the pistol. Try pushing a snap cap or empty case under the extractor hook along the breech face where it would sit when ready to fire. If the extractor holds the rim of the cartridge nice and steady, the extractor is probably fine.

t0kie
02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
how does one tune an extractor? thanks

I think that's something that a gunsmith is really needed. (I won't do it myself)

AWARCORP
02-23-2012, 11:51 PM
This is good advice guys. I will try it first thing tomorrow and report back, thank you Hornswaggled and t0kie, much appreciated.

jeffrice6
02-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Its SA, send her home!

modls7
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Are you saying the empty casing stays in the chamber (never even briefly leaves) and the slide then returns to battery this way?

Your recoil spring is probably fine.

AWARCORP
02-24-2012, 2:19 PM
- The slide is closed in full battery
- Put a magazine in
- Pull the slide back to chamber the round
- Pull trigger, gun fires, slide does not move back at all so shell does not extract
- Release magazine or the slide wont come back
- Once magazine is out, the slide will roll back and the shell casing comes out

Weird right?

Arias
02-24-2012, 2:30 PM
Its SA, send her home!

This ^

SA has a great lifetime warranty. I'd call and take em' up on it

c3 rolling
02-24-2012, 3:13 PM
Heres a vid on tuning the extractor, takes 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM

AeroEngi
02-24-2012, 3:26 PM
Heres a vid on tuning the extractor, takes 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM

It doesn't sound like an extractor issue. He's saying that the slide doesn't even move back after taking a shot. The only way he can cycle the slide is if he removes the magazine. Kinda weird actually, I've never heard of it.

walmart_ar15
02-24-2012, 3:45 PM
- The slide is closed in full battery
- Put a magazine in
- Pull the slide back to chamber the round
- Pull trigger, gun fires, slide does not move back at all so shell does not extract
- Release magazine or the slide wont come back
- Once magazine is out, the slide will roll back and the shell casing comes out

Weird right?

roll back? On its own?

Does it happen when firing the last shot in the mag? Or after the last shot, the slide cycles and slide locks back?

Likely issue is around the magazine. If last shot cycles normally, then it may be because the next round is jammed against the slide/empty case thus preventing proper cycle. Is the mag for some reason sitting higher now in the frame then before?

himurax13
02-24-2012, 4:15 PM
Please let me know if you have some helpful insight. The bullet fires, but the brass round does not eject and the slide stop doesn’t move at all.

I have shot 4,000 to 4,500 rounds fired during the last five years.

Is it the recoil spring—does it need to be replaced?

Or is it something else?

Its not the ammo and I have not changed magazines.

Thanks!

Well it doesn't sound like the recoil spring is the culprit if you have not replaced it recently.

How do you know it is not the ammo?

Do you have a picture of the magazine fully loaded? The feed lips could be bent or cracked. I break 1911 magazines all of the time.

Are you sure you installed the slide stop through the barrel link the last time you cleaned it?

redcliff
02-24-2012, 4:20 PM
Some problems are almost impossible to diagnose by descripton. This seems like one of them.

Field strip the pistol and give everything a good visual inspection. Check the recoil spring guide rod for straightness; recoil springs should be changed every 2-2.5k rounds depending upon 1911 variant and failure to do so can cause guide rod damage. Check that your ejector isn't loose; you probably have a loctited ejector with no pin to retain it; they occasionaly come loose. Check your magazines for cracks and spread feed lips.

And say good-bye to your pistol for a while since I see a trip to Springfield Armory in its future.

Dhena81
02-24-2012, 4:33 PM
Well it doesn't sound like the recoil spring is the culprit if you have not replaced it recently.

How do you know it is not the ammo?

Do you have a picture of the magazine fully loaded? The feed lips could be bent or cracked. I break 1911 magazines all of the time.

Are you sure you installed the slide stop through the barrel link the last time you cleaned it?

This might be it but the slide would come off if he missed the barrel link either way I'd check it.

Well I don't have much input on this except even though I don't think its the recoil spring it still needs to be replaced at 5k.

modls7
02-26-2012, 1:45 PM
It sounds like your disconnector is poking into the magwell too much touching the top of your magazine. The magazine is keeping the disconnector from coming down during fire which prevents the slide from moving back. This is why when you remove the mag everything works ok.

Send it to SA.

JTROKS
02-26-2012, 2:44 PM
SA 1911s are like series 70 colts with no firing pin safety lever. A thorough visual inspection of barrel/link/pin, bushing, recoil rod/plug, extractor and ejector. I've seen 1911s lose timing preventing the rear of the barrel to come down far enough to clear locking lugs. See if the slide and barrel's locking lugs are getting peened. If you assembled the gun properly and it still behaving as such then the inevitable trip to SA is the only choice. Unless you're willing to pay a gunsmith to fix it for you. SA will send you a shipping label and you'll have to package you pistol according to their instructions. Hope you have another gun to shoot during the wait.

AWARCORP
02-27-2012, 4:05 PM
All of you have given great feedback. I am compiling video of an inspection of the 1911 which may help with solving the problem. I think all of you are right, I believe it will be taking a trip to SA soon. I will post up when I have more information and again, thank you all for the great insight.

Lead Waster
02-27-2012, 4:06 PM
Does SA pay for shipping TO and FROM them? Or do you have to eat the shipping?

AeroEngi
02-27-2012, 4:17 PM
Does SA pay for shipping TO and FROM them? Or do you have to eat the shipping?

SA pays for the round-trip.

scotty99
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I have worked on many 1911s, and have never heard of this problem. The only device on the gun I can think of that could lock the slide closed during firing is the thumb safety, but if that is engaged, obviously the gun should not be able to fire. With an empty mag in the gun, can you rack the slide? After you have this issue, you cannot move the slide at all until you eject the mag? With the gun empty and the hammer back, does the thumb safety work, or can you dry fire with the safety engaged?