PDA

View Full Version : CA to Keene, NH with a rifle and two handguns. Questions.

jl123
02-23-2012, 8:47 PM
I'm planning a cross country drive from California to Keene, NH in a few weeks. Are there any states or other jurisdictions we should avoid while traveling with guns? What is the best way to transport ammunition? Will it have to be in a separate/locked compartment in some states?

I know MA should be avoided at all costs. I also know federal law should protect us while traveling thru, but I have seen enough stories to know that we shouldn't rely on those laws for protection against arrest in areas that don't look kindly upon armed people.

Thanks in advance.

CitaDeL
02-23-2012, 8:53 PM
I would say New York might be a problem.

Considering that New Hampshire is on the other side, you might not be able to get there from here.:rolleyes:

nicki
02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
New York, New Jersey, Illonis and Mass are the problem states.

Supposedly you should be protected by the Firearms owners protection act, but the protections provided are very weak.

Supposedly if your gun is in a locked container and unloaded, you are supposed to be good to go.

If weather is clear, you should be able to drive through those states without issues.

It is a pain in the *** to try to drive around states. That being said, I would definitely drive around New York City.

Rifles won't be an issue unless they are the "Assault rifles". New York makes possession of over 10 round mags manufactured after 1994 a felony.

You can limit your driving in New York and Mass to where you can drive through those states within one day.

I would plan to stop in eastern Penn myself, hit a hotel, gas up and just drive through.

Nicki

jl123
02-23-2012, 10:49 PM
New York, New Jersey, Illonis and Mass are the problem states.

Supposedly you should be protected by the Firearms owners protection act, but the protections provided are very weak.

Supposedly if your gun is in a locked container and unloaded, you are supposed to be good to go.

If weather is clear, you should be able to drive through those states without issues.

It is a pain in the *** to try to drive around states. That being said, I would definitely drive around New York City.

Rifles won't be an issue unless they are the "Assault rifles". New York makes possession of over 10 round mags manufactured after 1994 a felony.

You can limit your driving in New York and Mass to where you can drive through those states within one day.

I would plan to stop in eastern Penn myself, hit a hotel, gas up and just drive through.

Nicki

the rifle is a 10/22, so no worries.

Should ammo be sold...or disposed of in more fun ways rather than attempting to transport it?

The reason for the transport is the person I will be driving with is moving to Keene.

6_x-YVviM-o

me109g4
02-24-2012, 6:57 AM
Keene is a nice town, i live 20 mins from there. Have a safe trip. Just read in local paper that DHS gave a grant to the city to buy an armoured personel carrier for some stupid reason, residents of the town are not happy and are giving town administrators hell about it, should this happen their will be a ballot initiative to force the town to paint it pink,,, lol

I would suggest that all your toys be locked in a case and buried in the trunk of the vehicle and lock that too, and dont open it without a warrent. Enjoy the trip. JT

jl123
02-24-2012, 8:35 AM
Keene is a nice town, i live 20 mins from there. Have a safe trip. Just read in local paper that DHS gave a grant to the city to buy an armoured personel carrier for some stupid reason, residents of the town are not happy and are giving town administrators hell about it, should this happen their will be a ballot initiative to force the town to paint it pink,,, lol

I would suggest that all your toys be locked in a case and buried in the trunk of the vehicle and lock that too, and dont open it without a warrent. Enjoy the trip. JT

Stupid reason? Why do police in a town with 2 murders since '99 need to be militarized? I'm pretty sick of the end run around posse comitatus personally. This is a converation for OT though (which I'm banned from).

BigDogatPlay
02-24-2012, 8:52 AM
FOPA is going to provide virtually no cover in a rabid anti-gun state, but if you're going to drive you will have to go through at least upstate New York and Western Taxachussets as going through Canada with a handgun on board is a non-starter. There is no way to avoid those two states to drive up to NH, unless you go through Canada. Locked away in secure containers and strict adherence to traffic laws would be a good idea.

A better idea, if there is someone available in Keene who is willing to help, would be to ship the guns there, then drive across country.

HondaMasterTech
02-24-2012, 2:26 PM
Definately travel through up-state New York. The chances for general incidents are much less. Confirm all exterior features such as lights, plates, registration tags etc are up to code. Obey all traffic laws and drive safely.

Shipping the firearm is another option. Though, one rule of firearm safety is to maintain control of the firearm at all times. Hard to do when it's in the hands of a UPS driver.

New Hampshire is a beautiful state. Once you arrive with your friend you may never leave.

dfletcher
02-24-2012, 5:48 PM
I drive cross country from southern NH back to SF about once every two years. Upstate NY takes quite a while to drive through, more than you'd think. Bring plenty of change for the toll booths that populate the middle part of the country.

I think you can do the trip in such a way as to spend the least travel time possible going through PA, across NJ (bad) through NY at Long Island (bad) then through CT and traverse MA (bad). My guess is you'll have about 200 miles of "I hope I have no contact with the police" travel time.

Can't offer much help on driving through the lousy states other than locked case in a locked trunk and drive carefully. You can't get to NH without going through NY, but you can bounce up through VT instead of MA to hit NH. BTW, State Troopers in the northeast are not the casual relaxed types we have in CA wearing short sleeved shirts, no hat & no tie. Pretty much all business.

Visit the Kittery Trading Post while you're there. It's just off Rte 95 on the ME/NH border. And try some whole belly fried clams. :)

nicki
02-24-2012, 5:51 PM
In theory you should be protected by the federal firearm's owners protection act, I would carry a copy with you.

Stealth is the key, carry your 22 in a rifle case, but keep the handguns in a locked container, then put them inside another container.

That way if you do deal with law enforcement in New York, if you have to "volunteer that you have a gun", you volunteer the .22 which is not an issue in upstate New York.

New York City is the worse, if you go through the city and have any issues, if they find your guns, you will be persecuted.

From a legal point, the best option may be to just ship the guns, but I understand that you may want to have the guns with you during your cross country trip.

New York and the rest of the (NRP) No-Rghts Police states time will come, but until then, we have to play games.

Nicki

ziegenbock
02-25-2012, 1:57 AM
Do you have a job before you move? Some of those people are crazy....you better be ready. Freedom means different things to different people.

Quiet
02-25-2012, 4:40 AM
NY is a hazzard.
Firearms needed to be unload in locked container and they need to be transported straight through the state with no extended stops (stop only long enough for fuel/rest room, no side trips), obey all traffic laws and don't draw attention to yourself.

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals (NY) recently ruled that the FOPA does not protect you from arrest/jail/property confiscation for violating state firearm laws and only provides protection when used as an affirmative defense at trial.

NY firearm laws to be wary of...
... can not legally possess handgun(s) unless you have a valid NY handgun permit for said handgun(s). NY only issues permits to residents of NY.
... can not legally possess large capacity magazines, unless the magazine was made before 09-1994. Burden of proof to determine when a magazine was made is on the possessor, not the state.

So, be cautious when traveling with firearms through NY.

earl88
02-25-2012, 4:57 AM
Refresh yourself with driving laws. Signal on lane changes etc If it is raining have your headlights on (NY). Make sure your taillights, brake lights are working. In other words do not give them an excuse to stop you. NO gun related bumper stickers or decals.

A a gun show here in NH there is a gent who comes up from MA with some real neat WWII military rifles and handguns. I asked him about traveling with those guns especially from MA. His answer---Don't get stopped!

jl123
02-25-2012, 9:41 AM
Do you have a job before you move? Some of those people are crazy....you better be ready. Freedom means different things to different people.

I'm just along for the ride this time, but I work from home, so I'm all set if/when I decide to make the move.

HBrebel
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Goin' to Keene eh? Be sure and say hi to the folks in the free state project

jl123
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Goin' to Keene eh? Be sure and say hi to the folks in the free state project

See my signature? Think the destination was a coincidence?

FreeKeene or bust.

ziegenbock
02-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm just along for the ride this time, but I work from home, so I'm all set if/when I decide to make the move.

They all meet up at a local coffee shop, run by some indian...very cool guy. Drinks are about $4-5 dollars, but it's a cool place....private membership required, but they will let you in with another member. The older lady there was into software and made like a million dollars and moved to NH to be part of the FSP.

You most likely will be driving through VT, to come into Keene if coming from NY. You will love the small towns and the drive is just awesome....take a camera.

Also, don't forget that I told you there are some batty people. Enjoy.

jl123
02-26-2012, 10:53 AM
They all meet up at a local coffee shop, run by some indian...very cool guy. Drinks are about $4-5 dollars, but it's a cool place....private membership required, but they will let you in with another member. The older lady there was into software and made like a million dollars and moved to NH to be part of the FSP.

You most likely will be driving through VT, to come into Keene if coming from NY. You will love the small towns and the drive is just awesome....take a camera.

Also, don't forget that I told you there are some batty people. Enjoy.

To me, war mongering statists are batty. How bad can it be? At least these batty people agree with me philosophically.

ziegenbock
02-26-2012, 3:14 PM
To me, war mongering statists are batty. How bad can it be? At least these batty people agree with me philosophically.

I agree....good luck to you! Drive up into Maine since you'll be there anyway!