PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Transport Legality

safewaysecurity
02-23-2012, 9:08 PM
Just a quick question regarding the legality of this.

When you first buy a handgun at the gun store it comes generally in a plastic box that is not "locked" per California law to be consider LUCC. When they hand you that box with your firearm in it are you technically violating the law when walking out of the store to your vehicle?

benjaminh98
02-23-2012, 9:40 PM
Your trunk is considered a locked container. However, your glovebox is not.

fquinonez
02-23-2012, 9:45 PM
The trunk is a locked container, but what about the walk from the store to your vehicle? What if you own a pickup without a shell or a toolbox?
Hmmmmm.....

I think this is where the OP was going and I concur.

Librarian
02-23-2012, 9:45 PM
When they hand you that box with your firearm in it are you technically violating the law when walking out of the store to your vehicle?
Yes.

Oddly, there is another provision that says the FFL can deliver a handgun to a buyer 27540. No dealer, whether or not acting pursuant to Chapter 5
(commencing with Section 28050), shall deliver a firearm to a person,
as follows:
(b) Unless unloaded and securely wrapped or unloaded and in a
locked container.I have no idea why the wrapped/locked container thing exists in PC, since 'wrapped' does not exempt you from concealed-without-LTC as 'locked container' does.

fiddletown
02-23-2012, 9:47 PM
I always bring a pistol rug with a lock to the shop when I pick up a gun.

safewaysecurity
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes.

Oddly, there is another provision that says the FFL can deliver a handgun to a buyer I have no idea why the wrapped/locked container thing exists in PC, since 'wrapped' does not exempt you from concealed-without-LTC as 'locked container' does.

Hmm interesting. I guess someone should tell gun stores this because I see them handing people boxes with handguns in them all the time without locks.

Librarian
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Hmm interesting. I guess someone should tell gun stores this because I see them handing people boxes with handguns in them all the time without locks.

If the shop thinks those boxes qualify as 'securely wrapped', they're off the hook for problems.

Not the best way to build up repeat business, though.

dave_cg
02-24-2012, 9:12 AM
Hmmm... the gun dealers I've bought from always have reminded me to bring my ID and a lock when I come back in 10 days. If you forget your lock, they send you down the street to the hardware store.

SOCAL INFIDEL
02-24-2012, 9:42 AM
Question:
Is a manufacturer's box considered a container? If so, can you just slap any ol' lock through the lock hole on it and it considered safe and legal transport? I've always been confused as one FFL told me that the box (locked or not) must be stored in your trunk, but a contradicting FFL says the box is a container, it can be locked and doesn't need to be in the trunk.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Librarian
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Hmmm... the gun dealers I've bought from always have reminded me to bring my ID and a lock when I come back in 10 days. If you forget your lock, they send you down the street to the hardware store.
Yes, they would - but that's a different law from the concern in the OP.
Question:
Is a manufacturer's box considered a container? If so, can you just slap any ol' lock through the lock hole on it and it considered safe and legal transport? I've always been confused as one FFL told me that the box (locked or not) must be stored in your trunk, but a contradicting FFL says the box is a container, it can be locked and doesn't need to be in the trunk.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
The question about the manufacturer's box is 'is it secure?'. There's no legal definition of 'secure', so in general, you have to determine if you can still open the box and take out the gun after you put a lock on the box. If 'no', that's fine, and you can put the box anyplace convenient.

chiselchst
02-24-2012, 3:39 PM
I have always asked myself the same question when I ship a handgun via FedEX, and I'm walking to/from my car, and in to their store with a shipping box.