PDA

View Full Version : Question about a used SA Mil-Spec

cranemech
02-23-2012, 8:58 PM
Recently jailed a SA Mil-Spec with a NM s/n. Got it for $600 OTD. The magwell shows no scratches, feed ramp is polished and bright, no scratches on gun. This is my first 1911 and don't really know much about them. I was going to purchase a RIA tactical but purchased this for a couple bucks more.

The salesman at the LGS seemed surprised at the price. :shrug:

Comments?

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

The question I have:

Comparing pictures I have found online to the actual pistol it appears that the original trigger has been replaced, I didn't see an ILS keyhole and this gun also has a SS bushing. Is there a way to tell what other parts have been replaced ie: springs with different spring tension,etc. I know next to nothing about the internal workings of these 1911's. Are the aftermarket springs color coded for the different spring rates or do they have distinguishing marks? I have been reading about people changing out the mainspring for a different spring rate and I am wondering how I can tell just exactly what I have?

Anyone in the Sac area wanna educate me on this weapon?

voiceoftheright
02-23-2012, 9:24 PM
Springs are pretty difficult to know unless you have another gun for reference. None of the springs I've swapped or replaced are color coded. Having said that, I will trade you a Sig 226 for that Milspec!

slick_711
02-23-2012, 9:55 PM
$600 is a great price on that gun. The NM serial # prefix means it was assembled & fitted in the US rather than Brazil, and they are better quality guns than the Brazilan Springfields (not that the Brazilian ones are bad, I love mine).

I've seen a few Springers come from the factory with parts not normal to the Mil-Spec line, but for that one to have both an upgraded bushing & the lightweight trigger is surprising, it may have been tinkered with, or SA may have been out of parkerized bushings at the end of a production run. If it's in good shape (looks new?) and passes a function test, you got a great deal.

As far as the recoil spring, most springs are not marked. If you have any issues with it or the spring doesn't look right you can replace it for around $12.

BoJackUSMC
02-23-2012, 9:56 PM
Brand new? $600 is awesome deal.

cranemech
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Slick: I had no idea about the significance of the NM s/n when I purchased the gun. I found out after researching the gun on the internet when I got home. When I was handling the gun, it just felt "right" :tt1:

vor: Thanks for the offer ;), but give me a chance to shoot this thing first.

Bo: Technically, it is a used gun but it appears to have had little/no use.

I neglected to mention that I called SA and they informed me that it was assembled in the U.S., in 7/08. It has a "made in Geneso(sp),IL" rollmark. They had no other records of any other work having been done.

t0kie
02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Nice score. Do you need a bushing wrench to take off the bushing? If so then you are lucky because that may be custom fitted bushing to the barrel.

plsmyk
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
My "NM" serial numbered Mil-Spec came from the factory with a stainless steel barrel bushing and a one-piece barrel. The "N" serial numbered guns at the time had a blue bushing/two piece barrel.