PDA

View Full Version : 10 day wait is up, but my license just expired!! What do I do??

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 8:38 PM
My 10 day wait is up tomorrow, but my driver's license expired on yesterday. Does anyone know if a valid hard copy driver's license is legally required to pickup the gun?

***Update: I renewed my license online and called the California Bureau of Firearms. They said that the law only requires you to have a valid DL at the time of purchase, not pickup. Now I just need to get Turner's to acknowledge this.

Rhythm of Life
02-23-2012, 8:43 PM
I'll just say whenever I've bought a gun on pick-up they glanced at the name, not the exp.

Gun stores notoriously do have sticklers however.

Dirtbikindad393
02-23-2012, 8:43 PM
oops thats a problem I believe you will need that valid license to pick up the gun as well as another form of residency proof like utility bills.

Rhythm of Life
02-23-2012, 8:44 PM
oops thats a problem I believe you will need that valid license to pick up the gun as well as another form of residency proof like utility bills.

On handgun purchases usually they ask me for the proof of residency at the point of sale and never after.

Clownpuncher
02-23-2012, 8:44 PM
Go to DMV, get a new license.

chiselchst
02-23-2012, 8:46 PM
Just because of these types of situations, I got myself a CA ID, just in case...that would have prevented this problem :eek:

bigcalidave
02-23-2012, 8:46 PM
They didn't check when you bought it?? Weak. Also, poor planning on you, you can renew your license many months early to avoid this, on the DMV website now I believe.

Dirtbikindad393
02-23-2012, 8:47 PM
On handgun purchases usually they ask me for the proof of residency at the point of sale and never after.

True didn't think about that. I guess he'll find out if he can P/U or not soon enough. I personally can never let my Lic expire or I will have to take many tests to get it renewed.

chiselchst
02-23-2012, 8:49 PM
My 10 day wait is up tomorrow, but my driver's license expired on yesterday. Does anyone know if a valid hard copy driver's license is legally required to pickup the gun?

Every(?) DROS I've ever done, I've had to show my CDL to start the DROS. Come P/U time, as my FFL knows me well, I don't think I have to show it (IIRC).

Don't they have to make a copy of it when starting the DROS?

user1234
02-23-2012, 8:49 PM
I am by no means an authority on the subject but I don't think they will give you any trouble for a pickup. They just need to see that it is you picking up the gun, you already passed the DROS. Bring a secondary form of ID just in case ... vehicle registration, utility bill, etc. Basically anything that is government issued should be fine along with your expired California Driver License.

Rhythm of Life
02-23-2012, 8:50 PM
Every(?) DROS I've ever done, I've had to show my CDL to start the DROS. Come P/U time, as my FFL knows me well, I don't think I have to show it (IIRC).

Did they view it prior to starting the DROS?

Adding to this, pick up paperwork sometimes is all they check.

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 8:54 PM
The license was valid at the time of purchase. I just need to know if by law, a valid DL is required at pickup...

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 8:58 PM
Also, poor planning on you, you can renew your license many months early to avoid this, on the DMV website now I believe.

Thank you for your 2 cents Mr. Obvious...

Oceanbob
02-23-2012, 9:00 PM
I think you can pick it up no problem. It was fine at the DROS...all they need to do is hand it to you and do the safety check.

Congrats...Have FUN..!

Bob

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 9:06 PM
At the time when you did your Dros it wasn't it expired...That's the sellers fault if he can't give you the gun he should've of known...

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 9:06 PM
Turner's left a message on my home phone saying that I need to bring in a valid DL. I think I'm screwed...

al8550
02-23-2012, 9:09 PM
Chances are they'll just check the name and have you perform the safety test

doughboy334
02-23-2012, 9:20 PM
whoever dares, wins!

just try and pick it up 2m lol

BigFatGuy
02-23-2012, 9:41 PM

If it was obvious, why does this thread exist?

waylonrobert
02-23-2012, 9:41 PM
Go in and attempt to pick it up with your expired DL. If they throw up a fuss, explain that you are waiting for the new one to come in.

Nor*Cal
02-23-2012, 9:50 PM
Turner's left a message on my home phone saying that I need to bring in a valid DL. I think I'm screwed...

Did you call them asking if you needed one? I'm guessing you did because they would not call out of the blue to say that. Unless it was expired when you bought the gun and they did not realize it until after they filed DROS.

Based on that message, sounds like you need to get to the DMV. Problem is, not sure a temporary paper license will suffice. Good luck!

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
If it was obvious, why does this thread exist?

Did you read his post????

Frank92612
02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Did you call them asking if you needed one? I'm guessing you did because they would not call out of the blue to say that. Unless it was expired when you bought the gun and they did not realize it until after they filed DROS.

I didn't call them, they called me. Their voicemail said that they were checking my paperwork since the gun is available for pickup tomorrow when they noticed that my DL has expired.

ke6guj
02-23-2012, 10:31 PM

...because they would not call out of the blue to say that.

many FFLs self-audit the paperwork during the 10-day wait to make sure that there aren't any mistakes. I know that Turner's normally has the paperwork checked multiple times to make sure that there isn't anything missing/incorrect. They check it during the 10-day wait and on pick up day, they often/usually have a manager do a final check before they let you leave with the gun.

Some people complain that it takes so long to start DROS on a firearm, and to finish the paperwork on pickup date, but when you are as large as Turner's, you have to have procedures to make sure that a counterperson doesn't get your FFL pulled.

Nor*Cal
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Guess I underestimated their thoroughness. Sounds like they have their chit together. OP has some work to do. Sucks.

whtl
02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
It will take no longer then one hour to renew your Drivers license. What are you waiting for?

Mana4real
02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Last year it took me 8 weeks to get my license in the mail. As soon as I got my renewal in the mail, I paid for it online. My license was expired for a week or so before it showed up. I think they are all fixed now though. This is when they redesigned them.

ke6guj
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
It will take no longer then one hour to renew your Drivers license. What are you waiting for?

1 hour to do the paperwork to renew it, but your new license won't be sent to you for at least a couple weeks. probably be out of the 30-day window before your new DL arrives.

L4D
02-23-2012, 11:32 PM
They didn't check when you bought it?? Weak. Also, poor planning on you, you can renew your license many months early to avoid this, on the DMV website now I believe.

I keep seeing this but I can't find where you can renew your license "many" months early?

JNunez23
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Why don't you just pay for a Cal. I.D? Totally different expiration date from your D.L, will run you $26.

sd_fox_racer
02-24-2012, 12:26 AM
go to dmv, pay fee, and have them print out a temp DL, show up to store with old DL and the print out and you should be good to go. if not youll just have to wait till it comes int he mail

ubet
02-24-2012, 7:20 AM
the 7 p's of life

proper
prior
planing
prevents
piss
poor
performance

Chaozu
02-24-2012, 7:31 AM
If you bought the gun there, they should have taken a copy of your license and proof of residency. I lost my wallet the same day I paid my gun off. When I went to pick it up, they asked me for my ID and of course I didn't have it. Since they had a copy of my ID already, they just used that and said I was ok. I don't think it's that big of a deal on a pick up as apposed to a purchase. And FYI, the turn around time to get my actual ID in the mail was exactly 10 days. Good luck!

PCPerks
02-24-2012, 7:34 AM
I keep seeing this but I can't find where you can renew your license "many" months early?

My license expires 1 April and I renewed it two weeks ago. If you address info that they have on file (not necessarily the one that shows up on your license itself if you submitted a change of address) you should have gotten a letter in the mail with everything you need to renew. Depending on your driving record and some other factors, if you don't need to take a test to renew, they give you the option of renewing onling, by mail, or by going in to the DMV. I did mine online and it took less then five minutes.

CA licenese expire on your birthday, so all you need to know is what year it's going to expire. Then even if you don't get a notice, you can still make sure you're good to go. Because if you get pulled over with and expired license, that's the same as driving without one.

Kyle1886
02-24-2012, 8:30 AM
Why don't you just pay for a Cal. I.D? Totally different expiration date from your D.L, will run you $26.

About three/four years ago, my wife an I tried to get a CA. ID from the DMV but were denied "because you have a vaild drivers license, you can't have both". (Oceanside DMV). Maybe it's changed??

OP, I was ask to re-show ID when picking up my arms at two different FFLs, though neither was Turners.

Respectfully
Kyle

bigcalidave
02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Because just like with car reg, they won't let you renew it until its getting close. I don't know the exact time involved, but you can certainly do it online. Looking at their site, it doesn't specify WHEN, I'm assuming you have to get a renewal notice.

Fishslayer
02-24-2012, 10:27 AM

It's CAPTAIN Obvious, buddy. A little respect...:oji:

http://voicetalentproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/captain-obvious.jpg

JNunez23
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
It's CAPTAIN Obvious, buddy. A little respect...:oji:

http://voicetalentproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/captain-obvious.jpg

Love it!!!

Eddy's Shooting Sports
02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Hmmm... Two pages of "I thinks" and "shoulds", but no facts until the OP called DOJ.

I haven't had this scenario come up yet, but I'm glad to hear the DOJ is reasonable about it.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650)969-GUNS

drkphibr
02-24-2012, 1:14 PM

***Update: I renewed my license online and called the California Bureau of Firearms. They said that the law only requires you to have a valid DL at the time of purchase, not pickup. Now I just need to get Turner's to acknowledge this.

I've had this happen in the past. When I called the shop, they said I was fine as my DL was valid when I DROS'd and even though my DL was expired, it was still "me" (all the info correct and such). I'm sure it also depends on the shop and their policies. Call them.

Old4eyes
02-24-2012, 4:30 PM
I've been asked for my driver's license by new guys at the shop I frequent when I pick up a gun, but most of them know me and so I usually don't need to show it at PICK UP time, but certainly at the time of filling the DROS. How well does the shop know you?

Now,
How are you legally getting to the shop to pick up the gun? Someone else driving you? Taking a Bus?

davek8s
02-24-2012, 5:41 PM
Sounds like you're going to have to wait for your new ID to come in the mail then redo the dros. Not fair, but you can't blame a shop for covering their *****.

SgtMerc
02-24-2012, 9:06 PM
go to dmv, pay fee, and have them print out a temp DL, show up to store with old DL and the print out and you should be good to go. if not youll just have to wait till it comes int he mail

This. When you go to the dmv, they'll print out the temp card and you just keep it with your expired one. Makes it perfectly legit, as it has all the information (DL#, Bday, Address,) and your expired DL has the picture.

I had to do this when coming back to california after 10 years out of state. My military ID and CA auto-exemption for military helped, and even though i had to wait for a month to get a hard copy, my expired 2002 license was legal as long as i had the temp card along with it.

waylonrobert
02-24-2012, 10:19 PM
The OP updated his post - situation is resolved.

Blackhawk556
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
The OP updated his post - situation is resolved.

Unless Turners agrees, this is not settled:p

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility