PDA

View Full Version : best 9mm

spenceyadigg
02-23-2012, 8:05 PM
I'm turning 21 in a few weeks and am planning on purchasing my first handgun. What do you guys recommend? So far I'm looking at the hk p30(i know a shop that will do the conversion) or the browning hi-power. I'm open to anything though.

hefedehefe
02-23-2012, 8:09 PM
What ever you do, dont get a 9mm. Get a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel so you have both. Thats what I did when I bought my XD40 :D

BajaJames83
02-23-2012, 8:11 PM
What ever you do, dont get a 9mm. Get a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel so you have both. Thats what I did when I bought my XD40 :D

I did the exact same with my S&W M&P, I got a factory 9mm barrel that fits and functions perfect for ($70) 1000 rounds later still only 3 ftf (reloads)...
its really nice to have 9mm and .40 out of one gun...

gatdammit
02-23-2012, 8:12 PM
Hi Power is a good 'classic' choice. Another one would be a Sig p228 or I guess the p229 now. Glock 17 and 19. CZ's also there. I guess there is no 'best' 9mm. lol... get the one you shoot the best and that will be your answer.

mat19er8
02-23-2012, 8:15 PM
I would start with a Glock.

GMANtt
02-23-2012, 8:18 PM
Glock 19. Beretta 92/M9.

BoJackUSMC
02-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Too many great 9mm guns out there and not enough money to buy them all.
can't go wrong with Sig, Glock, HK, M&P, 1911, HI Power, CZ, and Beretta.

shooterdude
02-23-2012, 8:21 PM
I recommend you go to a range and try as many guns as you can then pick what you like.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 8:23 PM
What ever you shoot the best with and the most reliable with is the best 9mm for you...It's different for everyone...Some say Sig some say Glock...Some say XD some say M&P...Also you can get a .40 and convert it to a 9mm on some guns but for me i'd spend the extra $200 in getting another gun...conversion kits are around $300 spend the extra $200 to get another gun imo..But hey that's just me...But as for me i shoot the Glock 17 the best..It may be different for you...

himurax13
02-23-2012, 8:33 PM

Terrible idea if you are planning on playing in certain competitions. Great if you are not. If you do buy a .40 and convert it, you will probably need new magazines. Sometimes you may need to swap out the ejector and or extractor as well to ensure reliability. I would rather just get another gun.

Best 9mm is kind of a toss up, just like what is the best caliber. If you want all out performance for competitions, a highly tuned 1911 9mm, 2011 9mm, and a CZ-75 shadow are the cream of the crop. They are not cheap and neither is the support equipment. I don't care too much for highly modded glocks, they seem to be real finicky.

For the average Joe, who doesn't shoot a kazillion rounds a year and doesn't want to spend too much time fixing, upgrading, or tuning their guns I would get the following:

Glock 17, 19, 26, 34
CZ-75
S&W M&P
Sig P226, P228, P229

I honestly wouldn't bother with Single shotting an off roster HK. IMHO the extra cost is not justified. The Gen 4 glocks appear to be problematic unless you are shooting hot ammo. If you want to blow that kind of money, get one of first 3 types I mentioned first.

SouperMan
02-23-2012, 8:37 PM
Try it before you buy it; otherwise get a Glock ;)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Saym14
02-23-2012, 8:38 PM
I have the P30S and LOVE it . you can't go wrong with this one.

tbc
02-23-2012, 8:47 PM
As long as it is not a Glock, you're going to be fine. Just kidding, just kidding.

OP, this thread is going to be long because there are many excellent 9mm's for you to pick. HKs and Brownings are definitely at the top of the list IMO.

chrisf
02-23-2012, 8:50 PM
Why get a glock. The answer to your question is get a HIPOINT!!! Best dang guns on earth.......... I kid I kid. Just don't get a glock. M&P will do, Support america and don't listen to glock fanboys.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 8:52 PM
If you like the HK i think you'll like the FNP 9...FNP 9 is nearly half the price as a H&K and it comes with 3 magazines...I was really close to buying the FNP 9...It looks cool and it shoots good...comes with a lifetime warranty also...My other choices for you would be a Springfield XD, Glock 19 or 17, M&P, Sig 229...

Oneinchpunch
02-23-2012, 8:55 PM
you won't go wrong with the hk p30. i own one, and i've had 0 problems. that said, you have to buy what you shoot best. and don't think this will be your last gun, either. you'll want and buy other guns, believe me. =)

dbbspider
02-23-2012, 8:56 PM
In 9mm, I have shot glock, multiple 1911s, Browning HP, Beretta 92F, S&W models, SA XD, Sig, H&K, Taurus, etc. I own a BHP and 1911. Just my preference

Oceanbob
02-23-2012, 8:58 PM
Of the two you are considering:

HK P30

Oneinchpunch
02-23-2012, 9:01 PM
if you're committed to hk, also shoot the usp and the p2000. if you end up liking them, you can get either of those guns for significantly less money, and they're still excellent guns.

user1234
02-23-2012, 9:02 PM
the bottom line is: If you want an HK, and you have the cash to get it.... go for it. Get whatever is the best fit for you and something with a good reputation. With the HK, you can't go wrong.

Conversions from a larger to smaller caliber is generally more than just a barrel swap to work properly. I agree it is better to spend the money on another gun in a larger caliber (if you have the desire for anything bigger). I think that a 9mm is a very wise choice.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 9:02 PM
Why get a glock. The answer to your question is get a HIPOINT!!! Best dang guns on earth.......... I kid I kid. Just don't get a glock. M&P will do, Support america and don't listen to glock fanboys.

Hey Glocks are awesome! Glocks are like the AK 47's of handguns they just go bang when you need them too lol...

himurax13
02-23-2012, 9:24 PM
Hey Glocks are awesome! Glocks are like the AK 47's of handguns they just go bang when you need them too lol...

You can also fix them by smacking it into a table until it works ;).

pyromensch
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
find out how it feels, (any gun shop), how it functions, (at a range), and how accurate it is, (again at a range), and how much it costs, (back at the gun shop)

i can't fault glocks, (i don't like them, they don't fit), but i do like m&p's, i have only 1 9mm, a browning hi-power, because i prefer 45acp.

DrDavid
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
No one's mentioning the Springfield XD? I bought the XD 9mm and love it.

I have shot the CZ before, and really liked it too, but, I was getting some fail to load/fail to fire, etc. issues in the CZ I was shooting at the range, so, ended up going to the XD instead.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
You can also fix them by smacking it into a table until it works ;).

that's a pretty damn good gun if you smack it around the table and still fire lol...

WolfSamurai
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Try before you buy, and look at S&W, Springfield Armory, CZ, Beretta, and Sigs.

Socalmedix
02-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I love my HK P30L.... it was my first handgun purchase and I am in love, if you have a shop to do the SSE at a reasonable cost, I say go with it...

RCJeeper
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
The perfect pistol has yet to be developed. Once you spend over $300, few are fatally flawed.

Once you get into the $500 + catagory, they are pretty great. Sounds like that's in your budget. Just get whatever floats your boat and be happy. I bought an M&P. I'm happy.

drifter2be
02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I've had 3 9mm's so far. S&W Sigma, Springfield XD9 sub-compact and Beretta 92FS. I hated the S&W, although I hear the M&P is a great gun, I liked my Springfield, never gave me a single problem, and, although I haven't shot it very much yet, I absolutely love my Beretta. I shot a Gen 1 Glock 17 and it was a great gun, I just despised the grip.

Go to a range and shoot whatever you are thinking about buying. Whatever you are the most comfortable with is the correct answer.

PandaLuv
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm turning 21 in a few weeks and am planning on purchasing my first handgun. What do you guys recommend? So far I'm looking at the hk p30(i know a shop that will do the conversion) or the browning hi-power. I'm open to anything though.

9mm, glock 17 is a great starter gun.

I personally love sig p226 and 1911s.

Sam
02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Go to a range and see what you like and shoot well with. For beginners, Glock 17/19, and M&P9/9c are good places to start. H&Ks are a reliable choice as well.

Todd's M&P, Glock and P30 long term reliability testing:

M&P9:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/mp-monday

Gen 4 Glock 17:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/gen4-friday

P30:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

hefedehefe
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
FNP9 :cool:

Shooters Sight
02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
The best 9mm or any gun will really depend on you. I was on the same boat a couple of months back, when I was buying my first gun. It took me a while to decide on which one to buy.

Here are somethings to consider when buying a gun...
1. Purpose of the gun being purchased (Home protection, Competition, etc.)
2. Comfort - Are you comfortable holding/firing the gun?
3. Price - How much are you willing to spend on a gun?

These are some of the things I was considering when I was looking for my first handgun. I ended up buying a Sig P226 X5 since I like the weight, angle and size of the Grip, very comfortable in my opinion!

For the mean time, while I'm still waiting to get my sig (3-4 months wait) I bought a S&W M&P for the same reason, comfort and price.

Good luck with your decision! Cheers!

SS

DCF
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
What's your budget? Any money left for magazines, ammo, cleaning products, gears, etc? I have found that a gun is just the first of many steps into this money pit. Don't go all out looking for "the best" gun in the world and then realize there is not much cash left for anything else.

hyperion.excal
02-23-2012, 11:53 PM
SIG Sp2022

or if you have money go for SIG P226 cant go wrong with sigs.

hefedehefe
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
You can go wrong with any gun. My brand new Sig is back at the factory :(

goldengate
02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Before you drop the money for an HK, might want look into the Walther PPQ or P99.

battleship
02-24-2012, 12:09 AM
hefedehefe - whats up with your Sig, just curious why it had to go back to the factory?

What model is it?

hefedehefe
02-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Sig Pro 2022ns .40 Cal. It has FTE issues. They told me it needed to be "broken" in(my XD's, HP22's,MPA930, GSG 1911, Sigma, and SR22 pistol never needed that, but whatever) so I figured whatever right? So I put over 500 rounds through it and it still had the same issue. It doesn't extract the round and tries loading one right behind the empty on the 6th through 9th rounds. I thought it could possible be the mags , so I tested them. But the pistol would work sometimes and fails sometimes with the same magazines. I don't know yet what is wrong with it, but I hope it gets fixed. I always wanted a Sig, so I have been really disappointed so far. Hopefully it works out because I really like the gun:o

TDL2024
02-24-2012, 2:03 AM
I have no problems with my SP2022 (but it's 9mm) so I'd have recommended checking that out. Friend has a P226 and they are obviously a little more robust feeling but shot the same during my limited experience with it.

I love both my friends USP's (HK) if you can swing the money for that.

Whatever you get try to shoot beforehand so you know you're happy with it.

23 Blast
02-24-2012, 2:20 AM
Asking what's the best 9mm is like asking what's the best compact 4-cylinder sedan. Everyone has their opinion, but the reality is that they're all pretty good, reliable, and solid. I've owned many 9mm pistols (well, not many, but enough to know which I like and which I dislike) so I'll give you my own personal reviews on them.

CZ-75b - My first 9mm, I love it. Very accurate, very reliable, rock solid. At the time, inexpensive, too.

CZ75 SP-01: Love this one even more - it's heavier because of the full rail, but shoots wonderfully and is equally reliable.

CZ P-01: Compact version, equally reliable, but I'm not as accurate with it due to shorter sight radius and lighter weight (and because its a recent acquisition and I don't have as much trigger time)

Walther P-1: I like this one a lot. This is the post-war version of the P-38 with an aluminum frame instead of a steel one. Mine was nearly new, it is remarkably accurate and is supremely reliable as well. Downside is it's just an 8-round mag.

Beretta 92fs: Sold this one because I couldn't hit a barn door with it. Just the ergos didn't agree with me, I guess. Still, it's a very nice gun, with a smoooooooth action. Also quite big for being just a 9mm.

Glock 34: I've had two of these, the one I have now is hard chromed and I keep it because it's unique and I like its look rather than because its my favorite to shoot (although it does that very nicely). I have a love-hate relationship with Glock. I love how they're simple, reliable, easy to shoot and easy to clean, but hate their ergos, hate their ugly-*** look, hate their fanboi nation. Still - even though I try my best not to like them, they just seem to work well for me. I don't shoot my G34 as well as I shoot my CZ SP-01, but I think that's more a function of trigger time than anything intrinsic in the guns themselves.

Glock 19: Had one, sold it off, replaced with a Glock 30sf (.45ACP instead of 9mm). I will probably eventually replace the G19 I sold. It's a great, great, great gun all around. Just the perfect size for a 9mm. Not too big or long (even though the G34 I have is basically the same size as a 1911), not too small where it's hard to grip comfortably. Very accurate and of course, Glock reliability.

Never shot a Sig in 9mm, so I can't say anything about that. Did have a P220 in .45, but just wasn't for me.

Ventura_Yak'r
02-24-2012, 8:17 AM
I recommend you go to a range and try as many guns as you can then pick what you like.

What he said.... :iagree:

Oldnoob
02-24-2012, 9:05 AM
Since your thread title list as "best 9", here is what I consider best, factory stock 9mm.

Sig X-Five L1
S&W 952
CZ 75 Champion

And here is my classic "best 9" list, they might not be able to compete with newest prodoction but still holds a spot in my heart.

Browning Hi Power
Walther P88
Sig 210

Lead Waster
02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I like the CZ-75 line. I have the SA and the SP-01.

The SP-01 is more flexible, if you decide to do competitions. But also, it's DA/SA and if you (carefully!) decock it, you can carry it cocked and locked with the safety on.

But I don't have a million guns to compare it to. The ergos are nice (though I wish the thumb safety fell under my thumb more like a 1911). After getting the SP-01, I have no need to buy any other 9mm.

Bottom line (as with ALL of the "which should I get" threads is that you need to go rent them all, shoot them all, then buy the one that hits the X more often than the others). Don't rent ones with actions you don't want (ie; don't waste time on an SA only if you feel you want DA/SA)

NeenachGuy
02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Just get something you enjoy shooting, and start thinking about your second+ purchases and how to save up for them.

Marlin Hunter
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Glock 17 or CZ 75

BHPFan
02-25-2012, 1:35 PM

+1.

Not only that, the best 9mm is the one that feels best in your hand(s) as well as the one that you shoot the best with.

DrewTheBrave
02-25-2012, 4:14 PM
http://bit.ly/wZYmq6

CharlesV
02-25-2012, 4:39 PM
The usual argument is between Glock and Springfield but cmon guys we're not being fair to the poster. Yes we know there are many choice but what good is that to say when there is only ONE purchase? The above posts would be confusing the crap out of me.

Ok all things considered, and youre new to handgunning, id first try a Glock. If you have a large hand take the 17; if small hands, take the 19 and stop right there!

NOW....only if youre not comfortable with either 17/19, then try the Springfield XD. Thats the two brands to compare and thats it. Both are excellent choices.

THEN...later....one day...when youre good and experienced and blah-blah, you can, if you care to, branch out and explore the other brands.

Last, as to conversions, its sounds great on paper to have two guns in one but the reality is that its not convenient at all. As soon as you get two barrels you may well be wishing you bought two guns. If that is really a question, then decide first what caliber you want to shoot. If you want a .40, buy a .40. Since of course you asked about 9mm, then i sit pat on my post and thats it.

BlackJack
02-25-2012, 4:43 PM
I bought a Glock 22 (.40 S&W caliber) and got a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel.

That satisfied me for a while but I eventually bought a Glock 17 as well. Conversion barrels are a good way to go but you eventually want the rest of the gun. Good luck!

chris57
02-25-2012, 4:50 PM
Twenty years ago when I turned 21 I bought a glock 17. Still have it, still my favorite gun to shoot. I will bring a couple of guns everytime I go to the range, the one gun I always bring with me is my Glock 17. Has never disappointed me and when I cant get in a groove with the other guns I pull out the 17 and get back on target. If it fits your hands and your budget it is a great gun!

vg247
02-25-2012, 4:57 PM
Many years ago when I was 21...my first was a Glock 19, accurate and never had problems. The next was a Beretta 92FS, accurate and never a problem (but this style may seem obsolete now compared to other options today)...to date now, my tried and trued 9mm's and overall favorites are my P series Sigs (226, 229)--just for me Sigs are my handguns of choice for overall use in the 9mm-40SW sizes. In 45 category, I only have had Colts and SA...best advice is to narrow down to a caliber most fitting to you, next try out a few by renting them, then make your first memorable purchase..have fun, be safe!

Sturnovik
02-25-2012, 4:57 PM

I would love a P30 too, there just a bit out of my price range.

Your biggest priority is to figure out if you want striker/hammer (DA/SA/SA/DAO). When you figure that out, your options become more clear.

Nothing wrong with the P30.

strombeck
02-25-2012, 5:05 PM
Glock 17rtf2 and Glock 19

Go Navy
02-25-2012, 5:12 PM
You're wise to start with 9mm. Don't worry about those who say it is not powerful "enough", etc. If you go look up the ballistics on it at fighting ranges, like, say 5 to 15 yards, it has plenty of on target power. And, you'll soon discover how challenging it is to group anything well at 45 feet/15 yds, let alone calibers with heavier recoil.

Also, it is easier to shoot accurately due to comparatively low recoil. And, ammo is less expensive than bigger calibers (yes, I know you can reload, so don't hit me with that, folks), so you'll shoot more, and more often.

Now as to pistol choices. I would not start with a compact anything since this is your first. I think you'll learn to shoot better starting with a full-sized pistol.

Next, I confess I am a strong 9mm fan, and own four different types and I can't really rank them, except to say that my Sig P226 is the best and most accurate 9mm I've ever shot or owned. I can recommend all four that I own, which are (in no particular order) Beretta 92, Sig P226, Glock 17, and HK USP Compact. I have handled a Ruger SR9 and it is pretty darned interesting, so you should give it a look.

To summarize, get yourself a good quality full sized 9mm pistol to start off with. Since the Glock trigger is a unique animal in itself, I'd hesitate to choose that as my starter pistol, but on the other hand there is nothing simpler to operate and if you learn to shoot it well, you'll be on your way. Choose your first pistol as if you are planning on keeping it for the rest of your life and buy the best that you can. Don't buy cheapos.

adrenaline
02-25-2012, 7:03 PM
Your first handgun. I was in the same boat a while ago. If I could do it all over again, I'd pick the HKP30L. (My First Gun (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=311254))

Definitely try out as many guns as you can like mentioned, but if you have your mind set and after trying out other guns, you come back to the HK, you can't go wrong. I wanted to go big out the door because I really didn't see me getting rid of my first gun. For me, its a keeper. I want her to out last me. I wanted to say my first gun, was an HK.

I hear the ergonomics of the P30 and HK45 are the same. My HK45c is sweet and the only reason I didn't go the full size is because I wanted a more compact carry weapon.

Find someone on the forum that has the P30 and see if you can make a date to shoot her...or at least....caress her. ;)

den888
02-25-2012, 7:13 PM
Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

BlackJack
02-25-2012, 7:22 PM
Your first handgun. I was in the same boat a while ago. If I could do it all over again, I'd pick the HKP30L. (My First Gun (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=311254))

Definitely try out as many guns as you can like mentioned, but if you have your mind set and after trying out other guns, you come back to the HK, you can't go wrong. I wanted to go big out the door because I really didn't see me getting rid of my first gun. For me, its a keeper. I want her to out last me. I wanted to say my first gun, was an HK.

I hear the ergonomics of the P30 and HK45 are the same. My HK45c is sweet and the only reason I didn't go the full size is because I wanted a more compact carry weapon.

Find someone on the forum that has the P30 and see if you can make a date to shoot her...or at least....caress her. ;)

HK P30 is an awesome pistol. I wish it were easier to buy in CA.

darkwater
02-25-2012, 8:09 PM
I've owned/tried three 9mm brands, Ruger, SIG and HK. I bought the Ruger P95 because it was a decent gun at a decent price, and American made. If I had the money at the time, I would have bought the SIG, as it was so much more accurate. I did not care for the HK, as it kept spitting empty cases back into my face and into my shirt collar, where at least the SIG and Ruger were nice enough to kick the empties out to the right. For me, the HK was the least accurate, too.

zombiescanlearn
02-25-2012, 9:31 PM
Sig P226 and CZ SP-01 are my favorites, but you really have to try them out. Everyone is different. Go to the range and rent some if you can before you make the financial investment.

zombiescanlearn
02-25-2012, 9:36 PM
You're wise to start with 9mm. Don't worry about those who say it is not powerful "enough", etc. If you go look up the ballistics on it at fighting ranges, like, say 5 to 15 yards, it has plenty of on target power. And, you'll soon discover how challenging it is to group anything well at 45 feet/15 yds, let alone calibers with heavier recoil.

Also, it is easier to shoot accurately due to comparatively low recoil. And, ammo is less expensive than bigger calibers (yes, I know you can reload, so don't hit me with that, folks), so you'll shoot more, and more often.

Now as to pistol choices. I would not start with a compact anything since this is your first. I think you'll learn to shoot better starting with a full-sized pistol.

Next, I confess I am a strong 9mm fan, and own four different types and I can't really rank them, except to say that my Sig P226 is the best and most accurate 9mm I've ever shot or owned. I can recommend all four that I own, which are (in no particular order) Beretta 92, Sig P226, Glock 17, and HK USP Compact. I have handled a Ruger SR9 and it is pretty darned interesting, so you should give it a look.

To summarize, get yourself a good quality full sized 9mm pistol to start off with. Since the Glock trigger is a unique animal in itself, I'd hesitate to choose that as my starter pistol, but on the other hand there is nothing simpler to operate and if you learn to shoot it well, you'll be on your way. Choose your first pistol as if you are planning on keeping it for the rest of your life and buy the best that you can. Don't buy cheapos.

+1. Don't get involved with that whole .45, .40 or 9mm debate. Bottom line, shot placement. Get a pistol you're comfortable with and put as many rounds down range as you can. Take the money you save from shooting 9mm instead of .45 cal and take some tactical classes. You'll have a lot of fun. Good luck.

02-25-2012, 9:45 PM
Glock 17 or 19
(Glock 22 or 23 and buy the 17 or 19 barrel to shoot 9mm)

Saym14
02-25-2012, 11:21 PM
you already have the answer- HK P30

Sunday
02-26-2012, 4:40 PM
Try the feel of an M@P and a Glock and an XD and do not pay even close to list price for your choice. The price is right and they work well. 9 mm is a great choice.

Thrashard340
02-26-2012, 7:17 PM
As a rookie gun owner myself, I felt the Glock 17/19 and Sig P-series the most friendly for my style of shooting. I have tried XD, M&P, 92FS, P229, P226, P2022, G19, G17. I have not had an opportunity to try CZ and FNP9 yet and those are the last two I still want to try out.

nixorz
02-26-2012, 8:30 PM
my first handgun is a HK USP 9mm, great gun!

The Virus
02-26-2012, 8:33 PM
get what you are the best with, in comfort and performance.
Everybody is going to recommend what they prefer.
M&P or Glock will be the simplest to use.

MrExel17
02-26-2012, 8:38 PM
G17 or CZ Sp01 Tactical

Napalm Bulldog
02-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I like my G34.

Andy Taylor
02-27-2012, 2:18 PM
Hi-Power.

shooperman
02-27-2012, 4:23 PM
Go for a Springfield XD. Love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.