PDA

View Full Version : Question for FFL holders

alfred1222
02-23-2012, 7:14 PM
Hi all,
so i have a simple and probably stupid question. Is it possible to become an FFL without owning a gun shop?? i know that some people are FFL's but dont commercially sell guns, but i cant find any information on how they did this. i searched and i read the sticky, but i cant make any sense of it. any help would be appreciated.

halifax
02-23-2012, 7:33 PM
If you aren't going to sell guns, what do you need an FFL for.

The ATF requires that FFL holders (except 03) be in the business.

garandguy10
02-23-2012, 7:48 PM
You must be engaged in the business of transfering firearms for profit to maintain an 01 FFL.

There is nothing in law that says that you have to own a gun shop to have a 01 FFL.

I had a 01 FFL for 14 years, and I never owned a "Gun shop"

The internet is a wonderful place........

mcgill
02-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi all,
so i have a simple and probably stupid question. Is it possible to become an FFL without owning a gun shop?? i know that some people are FFL's but dont commercially sell guns, but i cant find any information on how they did this. i searched and i read the sticky, but i cant make any sense of it. any help would be appreciated.

The direct answer - Yes.

To which FFL Type are you referring?

If you are referring to a Type 01, the answer is still yes. However, the BATFE agent I consulted says he will not approve an FFL Type 01 (and others) unless one intends to engage in business for profit. An FFL 01 may run a profitable business without a "brick and mortar" gun shop. He will not approve a renewal unless the 01 shows business for profit history.

Munk
02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
01 FFL is not given to people who intend to use it for collecting. It's a business thing. You have to at least be trying to make money at it. So we'll assume you want to do transfers or sell some guns.

What you're describing is a Tabletop FFL, or Kitchen Table FFL, or whatever colloquial term you like for a Home Based Business that utilizes an FFL. Some localities do not like these types of FFLs and insist on a real storefront of some kind. (Although, i'm sure they'd make an allowance for someone who only does drop-shipping arrangements and is basically a computer-jockey).