PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento: Temporary Victory!!! Ammo Logging & Firearm Loss/Theft Reporting!

DrjonesUSA
04-03-2007, 3:45 PM
I just returned from the Sacramento City Council Law & Legislation Committee Hearing and it went very well.

1) Many gun dealers showed up in protest of the ammo sales logging ordinance, and we had other people there to oppose firearms loss/theft reporting. WE HAD A LOT OF BODIES IN THE CROWD.

2) The meeting was running out of time and because there were so many people there who signed up to speak on both issues, the committee chair, Sandy Sheedy, made motion seconded by Robbie Waters, to continue the hearing on both issues to another meeting.

**I will keep everyone posted as to when that next meeting will take place**

We were only successful today because so many people took the time out of their day to come to the hearing.

In order to make this a TRUE victory by having the city council reject these awful ordinances, we need all of your help!!!!!

Please call, write, email, or even set up a face-to-face meeting like I plan on doing!!!

Of course, the best thing that you can do is to get in touch with me and make sure you show up to the next meeting!!!!!!

Please call, fax, email, write letters to the Law & Legislation committee members listed below in order to thank them for continuing discussion of the ordinances and to urge them to oppose both ordinances.

SACRAMENO LAW & LEGISLATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Sandy Sheedy:.........916-808-7002
Lauren Hammond:......916-808-7005
Steve Cohn:.............916-808-7003
Robbie Waters:.........916-808-7007

FAX - all Councilmembers (916) 264-7680

Talking Points:

Firearm Loss/Theft Reporting:

**THIS ORDINANCE CRIMINALIZES VICTIMS: IT MAKES CRIMINALS OUT OF PEOPLE WHO ARE THEMSELVES THE VICTIMS OF CRIME.**

In short, no jurisdiction or agency [that has enacted a firearm loss/theft reporting ordinance similar to what Sacramento is considering] contacted by SPD has been able to provide examples of:

1) investigations or arrests due to the ordinance,

2) successful prosecutions due to the ordinance,

3) Studies of effectiveness of the ordinance

4) studies of the costs of enforcement, or

5) studies of fees to cover those costs.

Additional notes:

On Sept. 29, 2006, Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed Senate Bill 59 (mandating reporting of lost or stolen firearms or parts of firearms to law enforcement within 5 working days of the time te person should reasonably have known of the theft or loss). In doing so, the Governor:

1) Noted that the measure "could result in cases where law-abiding citizens face criminal penalties simply because they were the victim of a crime"

2) cited "unproven results of jurisdictions in California that have passed similar measures.

AMMUNITION SALES LOGGING:

This ordinance does NOT prevent the purchase of ammunition at the point of sale: it only creates a database of everyone who purchases ammunition.

Why are you creating a registry/database of ammunition owners?

What safeguards are in place to protect my identity and the ammunition I own? (They ask for lots of info to purchase ammo: thumbprint, drivers licence, DOB, name, addy, amount, type & caliber of ammo purchased, etc. etc.)

Who is going to follow up on the database?

How many cops are going to be taken off the street in order to fish through this database?

How many people will be suspects if there is a shooting?

Are you going to knock on everyones door everytime there is a shooting?

etc. etc. etc.

redneckshootist
04-03-2007, 4:20 PM
I had an emergancy call and ended up working, but let me know when the next meeting is and I'll try to make it

DrjonesUSA
04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Video is now posted!!!

http://sacramento.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=7

04/03/2007 Law & Leg Committee Hearing - View Video

Shane916
04-12-2007, 3:24 PM
Any idea on the next meeting?

JALLEN
04-12-2007, 9:19 PM

Yeah... watch out that they don't keep running late, putting it off and then when you guys get tired of going to meetings, all of a sudden it gets voted on.

DrjonesUSA
04-12-2007, 9:37 PM

I finally got a call back from someone at the city and our ordinances WILL be heard on Tuesday MAY 15 at 12:30pm.

I will keep on top of this.

This is great news because now we have that much more time to rally the troops!

Please put the word out to as many people as you can about this hearing - those of you who were present on April 3 personally saw the effect we had at the hearing on April 3 - so we CAN effect change!

Please mark the date on your calendar and put the word out!!!!

PLEASE SHOW UP IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!

YOU NOW HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO PLAN FOR THIS!!!

Shane916
04-12-2007, 9:40 PM
With nothing abstract happening in this next meeting, will they be voting on both measures?