PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy CCI Standard Velocity? What does your Marlin like?

tnavressdog
02-23-2012, 3:08 PM
My Marlin 795 seems to love CCI Standard Velocity. Anyone know where to buy it locally in the San Jose / South Bay area? I'd like to purchase around 1000 rounds instead of the 5000 round cases online.

Also, I'm curious what ammo your Marlins like. In my tests, my Marlin 795 seems to favor ammo in the following order:

CCI Standard Velocity > CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points > CCI Mini Mag Round Nose > Winchester Bulk 555 Pack > Federal Automatch > CCI Blazer > Federal Lightning > Federal Bulk 525 Pack

Off a bench at 50 yds, the CCI Standard Velocity gave me an average 5 shot group of 0.60" (4 groups). The Federal Bulk averaged 2.00".

For reference, I just picked up this Marlin as my first gun at the end of December 2011 and this was my third time ever shooting from a bench. Now ~600 rounds through it. Gun is completely stock however I did lighten the trigger pull to 2.75 lbs just before this last range visit by changing the angle of the sear and weakening the trigger spring. Groups were shot with a $26 scope off of Amazon.

fatcircles
02-23-2012, 5:21 PM
Damn, a while back I bought over 2k of the Federal bulk 525 pack...

I am about to take my Marlin out to the range in the next week or two (for the first time) and that's all I have.

I know people say some guns prefer different ammo but it would be nice to have some CCI as well since I see so many people talking about how their Marlin's seem to love it.

I am also in SJ/South Bay so maybe a few of us could split the 5k round case?

Otherwise, I am also interested in some good places to buy the CCI Standard Velocity!

fatcircles
02-23-2012, 5:23 PM
Is this the type you were talking about?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-22lr-cci-green-tag-40gr-lead-round-nose-ammo

510GUY
02-23-2012, 5:31 PM
I didn't know the marlin 795 was picky, are they? I Picked one up a while and haven't got shoot it

tnavressdog
02-23-2012, 5:34 PM
The stuff that seems to work is this: http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/5000rds-22-lr-cci-standard-velocity-22-long-rifle-ammo-0035

A fellow gunner at the range let me try out some and I was instantly impressed!

You never know, maybe the federal works well in your Marlin. Like everyone says, it's really gun dependent. At 25 yards, the performance of most of the bulk ammo I tried was comparable. So now I intend to shoot the rest of my federal stuff if I want to do 25 yards and less. It was when I shot at 50 yards that the discrepancy really showed.

If anyone wants to split a case, I'd be interested as well.

tnavressdog
02-23-2012, 5:36 PM
At my first range session, I got 3 fail to ejects with Federal. I attribute this to being a new gun. Since then, the gun has shot perfectly without fail even with the Federal. I wouldn't call the Marlin picky. It just shoots some ammo better than others.

lcw
02-23-2012, 5:40 PM
What's the difference between cci standard and cci blazer?

pennys dad
02-23-2012, 5:57 PM
i use the federal white box that can be bought at walmart. works perfectly

tnavressdog
02-24-2012, 9:01 AM
What's the difference between cci standard and cci blazer?

CCI Blazer I believe is CCI's lowest cost ammo that is sold in bulk. It is a high velocity round (1235 fps). CCI Standard is more expensive and made more consistent at the factory thus the higher accuracy. It is a standard velocity round and subsonic (1070 fps). This makes it more accurate since it doesn't have to go through the turbulence of transitioning from supersonic to subsonic.

If anyone knows where to buy CCI Standard locally, I'd love to know! Or if anyone else wants to split a case, let me know too!

fatcircles
02-28-2012, 5:15 PM
I am down to split a case. I picked up a few 100 rounders at 8.95 each from Bay Area Gun Vault but would really like to pick up more.

I know that the 15-22 likes these a lot and don't want to put my Federal bulk in it.

G-forceJunkie
02-28-2012, 6:45 PM
While a step up in cost, I would try a few boxes of Wolf Match target. Everything I shoot it in groups 1/2 the size of the typical bulk ammo you listed above, including CCI standard.

fatcircles
03-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Finally found some in stock, don't know if these are the same exact ones you were talking about but I know lots of people love these in 15-22s:

http://slickguns.com/product/375-rounds-22-lr-cci-ar-tactical-copper-plated-round-nose-40-grain-2199-flat-5-shipping

Ogre8472
03-02-2012, 6:34 AM
For your ammo finding help. Target Masters in milpitas stocks some of the nicer supplys of ammo. The Gun Exchange off the Almaden expressway is cheaper. Lastly Kirleys in cupertion usually has a good selection too. Hope that helps.